Lets not hit the Panic Button

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lets not hit the Panic Button

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:40 pm

I like Staal with Sid, not sure about Pesonen on the other side. Leaving the question, who would fill in on the other side? I've been an advocate of at least attempting a Staal and Sid combination for the past year, and am more-so now. Staal has proven he can work well with a world-class center before, as he did with Malkin in their rookie year.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:44 pm

I agree that we are in good shape record wise. I also agree that Shero knows what this team needs...Hopefully he will find the right deal that will help put this team over the top...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:46 pm

KG wrote:I also agree that Shero knows what this team needs...Hopefully he will find the right deal that will help put this team over the top...

A medicine man to cure all the injuries??
Admin
Site Admin

Postby pfim on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Dude, two losses in a row. The panic button has been puched through the facing, netwolf took the panic machine back to his garage for repairs before Wednesday's game.

The Pens need to get healthy.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:11 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Staal has proven he can work well with a world-class center before, as he did with Malkin in their rookie year.

That year, yes. Since then, not so much.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:15 pm

pfim wrote:Dude, two losses in a row. The panic button has been puched through the facing, netwolf took the panic machine back to his garage for repairs before Wednesday's game.

The Pens need to get healthy.

I'm not at all worried about the actual TEAM, the players on the roster.

What concerns me is that the past two years, this team has been racked with injuries unlike anything I have ever seen in all my years of watching sports.

One might want to look into their training methods. Starting pitchers in baseball don't get hurt this much.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:50 pm

I'm gonna hit! Don't try and stop me!

Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Admin wrote:
KG wrote:I also agree that Shero knows what this team needs...Hopefully he will find the right deal that will help put this team over the top...

A medicine man to cure all the injuries??

no, its just more COWBELL
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:58 pm

AntiFlyers wrote:15-8-4 with the injuries we have dealt with since the summer?

Along with the Big FA departures AKA Malone and Hossa.

Along with the replacements AKA Satan and Fedetenko... AKA not the solution.

I think we are in great shape!

Eventually with time, Ray will come across the right deal in order to get Sid a winger. Right now though? We are in pretty good shape and have been able to get by without huge pieces to our cup run.

The last 2 games however? We gave those away. We simply stopped playing. A few things I should point out..

Staal on the 3rd line? I will never have high hopes of Staal becoming a legitimate threat, unless MT puts him where he belongs. Top 6 .

Satan has a decent amount of points right now for us, but let's not kid ourselves, he is not the right winger for Sid. He doesnt work hard, He doesnt hit Sid's tape, he doesnt have emotion out there.

Staal at the same time, does not have the mind set of a checking line player. Cooke Talbot and Dupuis should be the 3rd line. Staal should play with Sidney with Pesonen on the other side. Let's try it out and see what we have in this guy, or else, he will never show up on the score sheet playing a role that simply doesnt suit him or us for that matter.

Satan Godard and Minard should be the 4th line temporarily until 81 figures it out.

Like I said 81 has decent numbers, and you cant ask anymore from a guy who just simply is the way he is, but we can ask him to work hard!

Penguins already have a top 6, and Staal is already included. Part of a previous post of mine:

Once again, the Penguins do not need to get Crosby a top 6 winger. This team ISN'T set up like a normal NHL team. We actually have a top 6, a GREAT top 6, most of you are too blind to realize it and automatically think the "top 6" should be the top 2 lines. Check it:

Talbot Crosby Satan
Fedotenko Malkin Sykora
Kennedy Staal Cooke
Dupuis Zigomanis Godard

Blue = Top 6
Green = 3rd Liners
Red = 4th Liners / Role Players

We don't need to trade Staal just so the team can look like this:

Player Player Player
Player Player Player
Player Player Player
Player Player Player
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:35 pm

Nizzy -- nice post! I agree with your assessment. I've never truly thought of it that way, but definitely agree.

As a side note - we REALLY miss TK in the lineup. He's a huge part of this team.

Apart from that, I have a feeling that we're in a valley between two peaks. Shero got us to the cup finals last year - Peak 1. Now, I think we have to wait a few years for prospects to mature to take another shot.

This team will be in the playoffs. It will probably win some series. But, I don't think that it will compete for the cup. Could RS make some moves that propells us forward? Possibly. Could Whit and Gonch make that big of a difference? Possibly. But, with the sample size I'm seeing, I don't see a way we get past the B's in the Conference finals...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:17 pm

I hope it's not too long... I mean I'd like to reach the next peak sometime before it's time to reckon with Malkin and Crosby's salaries again.

Admittedly I'm worried about all the injuries but I won't bring it up on any GDTs or the Serenity thread. :)
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:33 pm

I've about given up on trying to restore reason. Statistically, this has been one of the best teams in the league to this point, despite significant injuries, despite whatever burden people wanted to lump on them coming into this season - Stanley Cup Finals hangover, the trip to Sweden, all the free agency losses. This is a team that, the last two seasons, got better as the season progressed and by this point hadn't hit its stride.

They're sixth in the NHL right now in points percentage. They WILL stop blowing leads. They WILL get the PP straightened out. They WILL get healthy eventually (we hope). When this team has its full lineup out there, they've got goaltending and defensive depth that few teams can rival, they've got the best two players in the league and more depth behind them than people give them credit for. I can't wait to see them in April.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:35 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I've about given up on trying to restore reason.

You lasted longer than most. Kudos.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:41 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I've about given up on trying to restore reason.

You lasted longer than most. Kudos.

Indeed. Just give in like the rest of us and spend your time in the chat. :D
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Angry Skating Pen w scarf on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:47 pm

So despite all the injuries, how many "bad losses" have the Pens had {i.e., games where they had a lead and should have finished or games where they just plain did not show up}? I believe the Caps game, one Ranger game for sure, and this last one with the Sabres were in the bad loss category for blown leads.....obviously, these hurt. Keep them to a minimum.

I also agree with CKA. This is definitely {and should be} a playoff team, yet I don't see them in the Cup finals again for a year or two.....just a feeling based on the season to date.

ASPWS
Angry Skating Pen w scarf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby seth on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:53 pm

Nizzy wrote:
Penguins already have a top 6, and Staal is already included. Part of a previous post of mine:

Once again, the Penguins do not need to get Crosby a top 6 winger. This team ISN'T set up like a normal NHL team. We actually have a top 6, a GREAT top 6, most of you are too blind to realize it and automatically think the "top 6" should be the top 2 lines. Check it:

Talbot Crosby Satan
Fedotenko Malkin Sykora
Kennedy Staal Cooke
Dupuis Zigomanis Godard

Blue = Top 6
Green = 3rd Liners
Red = 4th Liners / Role Players

We don't need to trade Staal just so the team can look like this:

Player Player Player
Player Player Player
Player Player Player
Player Player Player

Kennedy is not a top 6 forward
seth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby seth on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:55 pm

as far as i see it, the pens are a solid team... even with ugly losses, we're in or around the top 5 teams in the league record-wise. you can't win every game so i don't see what all the fuss is about. they're going to loss every now and then and they're gonna string together 2-3 bad games in a row here and there. that's just a nature of hockey. live with it
seth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby seth on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:56 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I've about given up on trying to restore reason. Statistically, this has been one of the best teams in the league to this point, despite significant injuries, despite whatever burden people wanted to lump on them coming into this season - Stanley Cup Finals hangover, the trip to Sweden, all the free agency losses. This is a team that, the last two seasons, got better as the season progressed and by this point hadn't hit its stride.

They're sixth in the NHL right now in points percentage. They WILL stop blowing leads. They WILL get the PP straightened out. They WILL get healthy eventually (we hope). When this team has its full lineup out there, they've got goaltending and defensive depth that few teams can rival, they've got the best two players in the league and more depth behind them than people give them credit for. I can't wait to see them in April.

this echos everything i just said... shoulda read it before
seth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:02 pm

What is the big deal about having Staal playing as a top 6 forward? MT gives him top 6 minutes anyways. If anything, put Staal's wings on Sid's line and put Sid's wings on Staal's line.

Staal's line with Cooke/Kennedy may be the "best" line we have.

Of the forwards, here are their time on the ice:

Crosby: 23 minutes per game
Malkin: 22.35 minutes per game
Staal: 20.25 minutes per game
Satan: 17.54 minutes per game
Talbot: 15.36 minutes per game
Sykora: 15.35 minutes per game
Dupuis: 14.39 minutes per game
Fedotenko: 14.19 minutes per game
Kennedy: 14.12 minutes per game
Cooke: 12.26 minutes per game
Zigomanis: 11.25 minutes per game
Godard: 4.46 minutes per game
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Steve on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm not ruling out another Cup appearance this year. We're better than we were this time last year - and we don't even have MAF, Gonchar & Whitney in the lineup right now.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:14 pm

There's probably one team in the East that can hang with the Pens in the playoffs and that's Boston. Another Cup appearance is a very good possibility, especially since they'll probably make a move or moves by the deadline.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:18 pm

Henry Hank: beacon of hope on the Pens board. :D

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but Pens losses make me emo.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:23 pm

Henry Hank wrote:There's probably one team in the East that can hang with the Pens in the playoffs and that's Boston. Another Cup appearance is a very good possibility, especially since they'll probably make a move or moves by the deadline.

What moves do you honestly think they will make? No way they are gonna make a Hossa type trade. They may not make another trade this season. If so it'll be a minor one anyways.

I'm most ticked off about blown leads. I'd rather have them get killed 7-0 then keep blowing leads and losing points they should of had. Until and IF and I mean IF they stop blowing leads this team will be frustrating to watch at times. There's also no trade that's gonna fix these blowing lead games.
Last edited by SolidSnake on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:24 pm

Henry Hank is LGP's version of Yoda. Rational, smart, and always battling against the force of posters flipping out about one thing or another with the Pens.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:27 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:Henry Hank is LGP's version of Yoda. Rational, smart, and always battling against the force of posters flipping out about one thing or another with the Pens.

See, I also view that as being over positive. You gotta face the facts and face reality. Being positive is not magically gonna change the season. I seriously doubt you see head coaches or players staying positive all the time and hopeing that's enough to turn the team around.

Sometimes preparing for the worst is the best because you'll never be dissappointed.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins