Lets not hit the Panic Button

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lets not hit the Panic Button

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm most ticked off about blown leads. I'd rather have them get killed 7-0 then keep blowing leads and losing points they should of had. Until and IF and I mean IF they stop blowing leads this team will be frustrating to watch at times. There's also no trade that's gonna fix these blowing lead games.

So you'd rather the team truly be bad rather than a good team that is beating themselves? That makes sense.

See, I also view that as being over positive. You gotta face the facts and face reality. Being positive is not magically gonna change the season. I seriously doubt you see head coaches or players staying positive all the time and hopeing that's enough to turn the team around.

I am being realistic. This team is very good. There are few very good teams in the NHL. They're one of the elite. Despite significant injuries, an underperforming PP, and many blown leads, they have one of the best records in the NHL. The people that aren't being realistic are the ones that somehow think this team isn't that good or is very troubled or whatever.

Sometimes preparing for the worst is the best because you'll never be dissappointed.

The irony there is that I'm not the one that gets disappointed. I've been keeping the highs and lows of this season in perpsective. The people that seem to be down all the time are the doom and gloomers. An aside, but I hate that saying. Cynicism isn't a virtue.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:37 pm

I don't know if we're allowed to link to Pensblog from this board, but every time the Pens lose, people should just go read their "Dark Ages" post. :shock:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:42 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:Henry Hank is LGP's version of Yoda. Rational, smart, and always battling against the force of posters flipping out about one thing or another with the Pens.

See, I also view that as being over positive. You gotta face the facts and face reality. Being positive is not magically gonna change the season. I seriously doubt you see head coaches or players staying positive all the time and hopeing that's enough to turn the team around.

Sometimes preparing for the worst is the best because you'll never be dissappointed.

Though I always don't agree with HH, I feel he's rational and backs up his views with solid points. Even when I don't agree with him I definitely can see where he's coming from.

I still think that if RS can make the team better he will regardless of the situation. Is he happy with the wingers on this team? Who knows but I bet he probably sees a lot of the same issues we see. Him being around hockey his entire life gives him a better idea on what to do about it.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:44 pm

Injuries are an excuse period. Every team has injuries I don't care who is injured and for how long. The Pens have to deal with those injuries. Blowing the leads aren't all just on the Penguins. The other team factors in as well. That's whats scary it isn't always them losing the games themselves.

Right now and lately they aren't an elite team. In your opinion maybe but an elite team doesn't keep blowing leads. And *knock knock* here comes Philly and NJ breathing down our necks. NJ the same team without Broduer most figured they'd be done and Philly with their horrid start and some figured them already into the Tavares, Hedman lottery.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm not a reactionary, but last night's game can't be shrugged off. They have to solve their power play with the roster as is. Brooks has to rebound, and quickly. D Sabourin has to hold those pucks tight when he is making a save.
Last edited by penny lane on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CKA24 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:48 pm

Henry Hank wrote:There's probably one team in the East that can hang with the Pens in the playoffs and that's Boston. Another Cup appearance is a very good possibility, especially since they'll probably make a move or moves by the deadline.

Don't get me wrong -- a return appearance is hardly impossible and far from improbable. I simply don't see a move being made at the deadline and have that gut feeling that we'll lose in 6 in the East finals...

As far as how deep the valley is... my guess is possibly 2 years before we've got as good a shot at winning the Cup as we did last year.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:51 pm

I have been saying this as well. The issue of them blowing leads concerns me.

The Pens seem to have two gears. Regular and Desperate. Their Regular gear gets them going and can have them either in the lead, tied, or trailing. The Regular gear they play with when they are in the lead.

The Desperate gear is the same gear they used when killing teams in the playoffs. They finished their checks, swarmed on the forecheck, and outhustled the other team even though we had the talent to win. Talent + hustle is hard to defend against. This gear seems to come on when the team is losing.

What kills me is, in all the years I've watched hockey, the true elite teams in the NHL had killer instincts. If the team was up 6 to 4 in the 3rd, they would act as if they wanted to win 8 to 4. Sometimes a great defense is a great offense and we roll into a shell which limits our offensive chances (hence the low shots on goal in the 3rd period) and allows the other team to just keep beating on us.

It's an issue. I don't have confidence in this team when they have the lead. Even Phil Bourque mentioned this on one of the after game shows.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:56 pm

Yea see what gets me is that some posters on here don't let others be negative. I don't agree with the overboard negative like like "Fire MT! Trade the whole team!" or start bashing other posters. but I never said anything like that. I'm more concerned with the blown leads. I'm not even calling out individual players either. The whole team gotta step up.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CKA24 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:07 pm

Here's the biggest issue at hand -- as this team gets better, the expectations go up. We were 1 second, an OT goal, and a Game 7 win away from brining the Cup to the 'Burgh.

Look at the Pirates -- most fans just want to get to .500 right? Once they hit that, the next season will be about improvement, eventually escalating to hopes of a World Series (of course that may be unrealistic, but it's an example).

It's why people can be so exhausted with the Steelers -- they've been in the playoffs how many times in the last 2 decades and how many Super Bowl victories do we have to show for it?

So, yes, this Pens team is good. But we saw Great, nay, EXCELLENT last spring. There exists a school of thought on this board (me being one of them) that doesn't believe that they'll hit that level this year. We're not the cynics, and I don't agree with expecting disappointment. I am a big proponent for hoping, which is why I still hope the Pens will win the Cup. No one wins the Cup without playing the games. I just don't feel that, however good this team is in the standings, I don't think they'll find that level to get to the Finals let alone win it.
Last edited by CKA24 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:11 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Yea see what gets me is that some posters on here don't let others be negative. I don't agree with the overboard negative like like "Fire MT! Trade the whole team!" or start bashing other posters. but I never said anything like that. I'm more concerned with the blown leads. I'm not even calling out individual players either. The whole team gotta step up.

I believe that posters are criticial of people being negative, and especially reactionary. I see 'negativity' as the "FIRE MT, FIRE YEO, TRADE STAAL, This team sucks!" crap.

It's another thing to be intellectually critical of the team, citing specific occurances and observations that support the posters argument. For the most part, the board respects 'positive' and 'negative' remarks as long as the poster has something intelligent to support his/her argument.

/soapbox
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:26 pm

CKA24 wrote:Here's the biggest issue at hand -- as this team gets better, the expectations go up. We were 1 second, and OT goal, and a Game 7 win away from brining the Cup to the 'Burgh.

Look at the Pirates -- most fans just want to get to .500 right? Once they hit that, the next season will be about improvement, eventually escalating to hopes of a World Series (of course that may be unrealistic, but it's an example).

It's why people can be so exhausted with the Steelers -- they've been in the playoffs how many times in the last 2 decades and how many Super Bowl victories do we have to show for it?

So, yes, this Pens team is good. But we saw Great, nay, EXCELLENT last spring. There exists a school of thought on this board (me being one of them) that doesn't believe that they'll hit that level this year. We're not the cynics, and I don't agree with expecting disappointment. I am a big proponent for hoping, which is why I still hope the Pens will win the Cup. No one wins the Cup without playing the games. I just don't feel that, however good this team is in the standings, I don't think they'll find that level to get to the Finals let alone win it.

Yea good post. That's the unfortunate thing about winning. The expectations go through the roof.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:40 pm

My expectations are as high as anyone's. I just don't feel that what they're doing in December is relevant to what they'll be doing in April and May and June. Color me concerned if they still have a ton of injuries, still have a below average PP, and still are blowing leads in the spring. I have complete faith that none of those will be problems by then. To me, this is part of the adversity that they'll battle through as they look to take care of the unfinished business left from last season.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CKA24 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:56 pm

Henry Hank wrote:My expectations are as high as anyone's. I just don't feel that what they're doing in December is relevant to what they'll be doing in April and May and June. Color me concerned if they still have a ton of injuries, still have a below average PP, and still are blowing leads in the spring. I have complete faith that none of those will be problems by then. To me, this is part of the adversity that they'll battle through as they look to take care of the unfinished business left from last season.

Well put. December may not have anything to do with what's happening in April, May, and June. However, some traits/trends cannot be overlooked. The blowing-leads thing I believe will go away. The PP problems I believe will go away. Satan's lack of work-ethic? I'm sorry but that's concerning. Scoring balance? It seems like we're leaning too much on Sid and Malkin. I see the Sid, Malkin, Sykie line in the 3rd and hope for a score. When any other line gets on the ice I think, "How long 'til Sid and Geno get back?" If TK was healthy, I might have a better feeling about scoring depth.

And HH -- you may be right. Maybe none of these problems will matter come Spring. It all depends on whether the Pens address them properly...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins