Fire MT.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Fire MT.

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:42 pm

Time is now to fire him. DO IT.

Discuss.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Fire MT.

Postby DMcGrew on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:58 pm

If we still suck this bad through February... do it.
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:12 pm

Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CathUZ on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:28 pm

that monobrow is pretty brutal
CathUZ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Three Stars on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Yeah, it really sucks when they win.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:46 pm

Corvidae wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CKA24 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:50 pm

If they don't string a few wins together here real soon, i wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets the axe. If they turn it on as usual at this time of year, he'll be set...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:01 pm

Ok. So, you fire MT. Who do you replace him with?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Dave's_a_Killer on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:Ok. So, you fire MT. Who do you replace him with?

Eddie Johnston or Craig Patrick.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Corvidae on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:05 pm

littlemoonboot wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe you were the one who originally posted that still shot. It begged for a word bubble!!! :lol:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:07 pm

Dave's_a_Killer wrote:

Eddie Johnston AND Craig Patrick.

Fixed.

I don't think this is a serious thread...but maybe Randy Cunneyworth or Peter Laviolette...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dave's_a_Killer on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:13 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Dave's_a_Killer wrote:

Eddie Johnston AND Craig Patrick.

Fixed.

I don't think this is a serious thread...but maybe Randy Cunneyworth or Peter Laviolette...?

Nice Back to the Future!
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:17 pm

Only way I see Shero caning MT would be after the season if the Pens miss the playoffs...Just my opinion...

As for a replacement? I am not sure...I don't love the re-tread coaches..But I would want someone who would let his offensive horses get out and run...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Senka on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:17 am

Corvidae wrote:Image

maybe we pay dees guys 50% of their salary because dey only play 50% ah the time...
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:58 am

Kovy27 wrote:Time is now to fire him. DO IT.

Discuss.

Discuss what? The thread title says it all.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:28 am

Idoit40fans wrote:

Discuss.

Discuss what? The thread title says it all.

:pop:

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maagwa on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:19 am

Mario of course. He is yet to prove he is a better coach than Gretz
Maagwa

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:21 am

Discuss.

we don't discuss, that would take tolerance of each other's opinions.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby zog on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:24 am

Dave King
zog
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby zog on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:47 am

If a coaching staff is completely out of ideas, well, then it's time to leave. If they can still be creative, then they stay. I think they are out of ideas. The team needs different ideas. We got out coached in the finals, and this staff is not evolving into a better staff. I'd hate to see him go, but if they are at the end of their rope, then something has to be done.
zog
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jesse on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:57 am

zog wrote:If a coaching staff is completely out of ideas, well, then it's time to leave. If they can still be creative, then they stay. I think they are out of ideas. The team needs different ideas. We got out coached in the finals, and this staff is not evolving into a better staff. I'd hate to see him go, but if they are at the end of their rope, then something has to be done.

How, exactly, did we get out coached in the finals? Don't be vague. Tell me exactly how Mike Babcock out-worked Therrien.

We hit the post as time expired in game 6. We were inches away from a game 7. People act as if there is never a chance another team is simply better than us and we were blown out of the water in 4 games.

We had a group of young kids playing in their first ever Stanley Cup finals.

If your qualm is that we were out coached in the finals, that means you need to find a coach BETTER than Mike Babcock.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AricM on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:10 pm

The most glaring problem I see with our team is puck management in our defensive zone. Immediately after our defensemen gain the puck behind the net or in the corner they instinctively shoot the puck up the boards or glass. That is fine when there is no play to be made, but at least get your head up and make sure that's the best play. I'm sure they're taught to play the puck to that location expecting the wingers to move the puck the rest of the way, but other teams seem to have noticed this and are often in better position to intercept. This leads to unforced turnovers and being outshot most nights.

The solution is simple, do what other teams already do. When you get the puck look up before slapping the puck around the corner. Instruct the wingers to collapse down inside the circles closer to the center of the ice, so that way when the defensemen get control they have 2 options, first the pass to the winger, second the instinctual play up the boards. And if the other team does hold the puck in, our wingers are in position to block the shot from getting through.

We scored 4 goals on 22 shots last night, that's good offensive output. I think if we can get the puck to our forwards cleaner and more often, we will be in better position to outshoot the opposition, decrease unforced turnovers and increase our chances of winning.
AricM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby zog on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:10 pm

Well now. I guess you really got me there. Unfortunately I have other things to do than to catalog my specific reasons for coming away from the finals with the overwhelming impression that we got out coached, not to mention the fact that I don't have the time to get into some internet diatribe or dissertation on specific points on anything. I really don't care. Maybe go to MCM's grades for the finals and see what he says about the coaching. We're usually in agreement and he's a much better writer than I. So have fun. Time to go back to not posting, I don't need to deal with some persnickety kid jabbing around. Back to work.
zog
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jesse on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:15 pm

zog wrote:Well now. I guess you really got me there. Unfortunately I have other things to do than to catalog my specific reasons for coming away from the finals with the overwhelming impression that we got out coached, not to mention the fact that I don't have the time to get into some internet diatribe or dissertation on specific points on anything. I really don't care. Maybe go to MCM's grades for the finals and see what he says about the coaching. We're usually in agreement and he's a much better writer than I. So have fun. Time to go back to not posting, I don't need to deal with some persnickety kid jabbing around. Back to work.

Wow, you really took offense to that. Also, I'm 26. Not exactly a persnickety kid. If you want MCM to fight your battles, that's okay. He's actually a really good friend of mine. We've already talked about it.

It doesn't have to be a dissertation or anything. I'm not a collegiate professor. I'm not grading your response. If you had such an overwhelming feeling that we'd been out coached, you wouldn't have to catalog anything.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:19 pm

AricM wrote:The most glaring problem I see with our team is puck management in our defensive zone. Immediately after our defensemen gain the puck behind the net or in the corner they instinctively shoot the puck up the boards or glass. That is fine when there is no play to be made, but at least get your head up and make sure that's the best play. I'm sure they're taught to play the puck to that location expecting the wingers to move the puck the rest of the way, but other teams seem to have noticed this and are often in better position to intercept. This leads to unforced turnovers and being outshot most nights.

The solution is simple, do what other teams already do. When you get the puck look up before slapping the puck around the corner. Instruct the wingers to collapse down inside the circles closer to the center of the ice, so that way when the defensemen get control they have 2 options, first the pass to the winger, second the instinctual play up the boards. And if the other team does hold the puck in, our wingers are in position to block the shot from getting through.

We scored 4 goals on 22 shots last night, that's good offensive output. I think if we can get the puck to our forwards cleaner and more often, we will be in better position to outshoot the opposition, decrease unforced turnovers and increase our chances of winning.

Excellent response, sir. Excellent. The old hockey mantra they used to teach kids was "accept, assess, decision". Accept the puck, look at the ice, then make a play.

The return of Whitney and Gonchar is going to aid the ability of the D to get good outlet passes. Also, it's going to aid the cycle. Look at Gonchar's skating. His reverse pivot and lateral movement are invaluable in the context of board work and getting the puck to the point.

One point to your post, understanding that shot totals are reflective of what you just highlighted, Michel Therrien judges success via Quality Scoring Chances, not shots. There are actually instances of the Penguins having nearly as many QSC's as shots on goal.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins