Pens have no depth at NHL or AHL level

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens have no depth at NHL or AHL level

Postby The Current One on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:22 pm

When your best options in terms of call-ups are losers like Taffe, Wallace and the like, you know it's bad. How is it that teams like Detroit and Washington have their share of star players like the Pens, but still have talent waiting in the wings? The Pens have absolutely nothing at Wilkes-Barre, other than a collection of career minor-leaguers and never-will-be NHLer's. As far as the Pens NHL roster is concerned, other than Malkin and Crosby, is there anyone else that's even a decent threat of scoring goals? Satan is washed-up and soft, Sykora is on the downside of his career, and Staal couldn't hit the side of a barn on his own sod farm. CP screwed this team over with his (and Malone's) pathetic drafting, and Shero hasn't drafted anyone in the later rounds that's going to make an impact any time soon. Guess we're stuck with Sid, Geno, and a whole bunch of third and fourth liners.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Pens have no depth at NHL or AHL level

Postby Lumberjack on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:26 pm

I wasn't aware that Washington had 10 capable NHL call ups. We're hurt. We're playing teams with our AHL team. Calm down.
Lumberjack
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tph7856 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:28 pm

Step back from the ledge.
tph7856
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dave's_a_Killer on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:31 pm

You are right my man. I think I'll become a Capitals fan :roll:
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby WWGRD on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:34 pm

Can you give Caputi, Jeffrey, and CPZ a few years to develop?
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:48 pm

ZOMG -- Pesonen, Minard, Wallace, et al haven't scored 8 billion goals in their average 3.2 seconds of ice time per game!!!111!11one!!!
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Oh for crying out loud!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby holeinone on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:03 pm

Even the Leafs called up a guy from the Marlies names Jeremy Williams and he now has 6 goals The combined group of Penguin callups have how many goals? ZERO No real depth just guys who take up space in order from Sid and Geno to get their breathe
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:13 pm

Do I have to use my MT "pfft" picture again?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dave's_a_Killer on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:16 pm

holeinone wrote:Even the Leafs called up a guy from the Marlies names Jeremy Williams and he now has 6 goals The combined group of Penguin callups have how many goals? ZERO No real depth just guys who take up space in order from Sid and Geno to get their breathe

Aw man don't make me want to be a Leafs fan because of Jeremy Williams.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:17 pm

Jeremy Williams is 24 years old and was drafted in 2003. Pens players that age or younger currently on the Pens roster include:

Staal, Jordan (20)
Crosby, Sidney (21)
Letang, Kris (21)
Kennedy, Tyler (22)
Malkin, Evgeni (22)
Goligoski, Alex (23)
Stone, Ryan (23)
Fleury, Marc-Andre (24)
Talbot, Maxime (24)
Wallace, Tim (24)

Anyone stop to think the main reason the Pens don't have much at the AHL level right now is because all of their top picks are already up and playing?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:19 pm

netwolf wrote:Jeremy Williams is 24 years old and was drafted in 2003. Pens players that age or younger currently on the Pens roster include:

Staal, Jordan (20)
Crosby, Sidney (21)
Letang, Kris (21)
Kennedy, Tyler (22)
Malkin, Evgeni (22)
Goligoski, Alex (23)
Stone, Ryan (23)
Fleury, Marc-Andre (24)
Talbot, Maxime (24)
Wallace, Tim (24)

Anyone stop to think the main reason the Pens don't have much at the AHL level right now is because all of their top picks are already up and playing?

Yeah, I'm gonna go with "no" here.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:22 pm

While I completely disgaree with everything you said, I want to point out I particularly disagree with Wallace. From the 3 or 4 games I've seen him play, I'm ready to give him a spot on our 3rd or 4th lines.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:36 pm

It is pretty clear at this point... the team whipping boy is not Whitney, it's not Satan right now, it's not Dupuis (except for ZP)... this year's whipping boy is "depth." Literally a new thread after every game about this "depth" fellow. Maybe Shero can get a good return in a trade for "depth."
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Soon5one4 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:37 pm

WWGRD wrote:Can you give Caputi, Jeffrey, and CPZ a few years to develop?

Not to mention Moon, Veilleux then at D, Alex Grant (19 yrs old), Strait, Bortuzzo, Curry and Brown as capable NHL backups in the future. Considering what someone above said about 10 players being 24 and under, and a few extra players that will be ready in the next few years, I think we're just fine. The immediate defensive backlog is going to give the flexibility to deal some of those guys for more prospects and/or draft picks.

Amazing how unreasonable someone can be considering you're talking about a very young team one year removed from the Stanley Cup finals and one of the most consistent farm teams over the last 4 years. Having 10 guys, and a strong corps at that locked up long term, that's plenty of time to develop guys to fill in the gaps and hopefully you can get lucky with one of those future picks, or convert a pure offensive talent like CPZ or Moon to the wing that would compliment either Crosby or Malkin very well. Not to mention the coming of the Luca Caputi era.
Soon5one4
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:41 pm

itissteeltime wrote:While I completely disgaree with everything you said, I want to point out I particularly disagree with Wallace. From the 3 or 4 games I've seen him play, I'm ready to give him a spot on our 3rd or 4th lines.

i agree. i thought wallace played very solid tonight. And taffe just scored two goals in my NHL09 dynasty and has 4 goals in 6 games so i'm pretty pleased with his production too
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:44 pm

Jeremy Williams is also playing on the top line for the leafs. Jeremy Williams wouldn't crack the top 6 on our team.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Benny206 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:44 pm

Gogo wasn't in the plans to start the year. If Gonch and Whit aren't hurt he would still be in WBS, so there is your call up who is producing. Contrary to popular belief call ups don't come in and set the world on fire, there is reason they are in the AHL to begin with. I am about sick of this no depth thing. As it has been pointed out already most of our 18-23 prospects are already in the NHL. You want to compare other teams players in that age range to ours, and ours is better. Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, GoGo, > than other teams "depth" of the same age.
Benny206
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Current One on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Sorry, but Wallace is another dime-a-dozen player that the Pens seem to have a plethora of. An example of that would be Kennedy - gritty, but can't score a goal to save his life. What good does it do to have centers like Sid and Geno when your wings can't finish off their passes? Oh, and if Jeff Taffe can play on Sid's line, then I'd venture to say that Jeremy Williams can. How a washed-up bum like Taffe is even playing on this team (and on the first line) is beyond my comprehension.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:55 pm

Blackhawks have a guy named versteeg or something like that who is also doing very well Our guys from the minors only take up space they do not produce That was my only point When you bring somebody up they must produce and we have producers in the ahl but at this level they can deliver
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Soon5one4 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:00 pm

The Current One wrote:Sorry, but Wallace is another dime-a-dozen player that the Pens seem to have a plethora of. An example of that would be Kennedy - gritty, but can't score a goal to save his life. What good does it do to have centers like Sid and Geno when your wings can't finish off their passes? Oh, and if Jeff Taffe can play on Sid's line, then I'd venture to say that Jeremy Williams can. How a washed-up bum like Taffe is even playing on this team (and on the first line) is beyond my comprehension.

Washed-up bum? He's 27, he is what he is. He's a 4th liner, he's not pretending to be anything else. He got what amounted to a few shifts on the top line because of injuries. Relax. Why bother watching hockey at all if you're going to be so ridiculous and illogical about it all? When it comes down to it, you're just a fan, relax.
Soon5one4
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CKA24 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:19 pm

You only hear about the great callups (i.e. The Williams and Versteegs of the world) once or twice. Does anyone know about the last 4 callups for the Coyotes? Or how about those awesome callups for the Blues... or the Preds... or Buffalo... or Edmonton... or Columbus... etc
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:21 pm

And BTW, Kris Versteeg was drafted by Boston, so if we're talking about homegrown talent, he's off the table.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Versteeg for Bochenski. Ouch. Tallon has overpaid for more than a few UFAs IMO but his trades for Sharp and Versteeg have been amazing.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pops16 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:28 pm

Our AHL club is a perennial Calder Cup contender. I don't see that as lacking depth.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins