OT Crosby Goal or no goal.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

OT Crosby Goal or no goal.

Postby no name on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:00 am

I think it was the right call based on the fact it was called a goal, not enough evidence to over turn it. On the other hand if the ref called it no goal on the ice, there wouldn;t of been enough evidence to turn it into a goal.

But i will take the win and 2 points.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: OT Crosby Goal or no goal.

Postby pensfan20 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:02 am

Well, the fact that the ref was right behind the play and bent over to see even with the crossbar and said it was a goal and then the officials in Toronto whom have access to camera views that we dont as tv viewers said it was a goal, then in my books, it was a goal.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Niles on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:05 am

Goal. According to my eyes and referees both inside the rink and Toronto.

Big whining just because it was scored by Sid.
Niles
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:07 am

It was the right call based on the fact that there was no evidence to overturn the official's original call.

After the Sabres got away with about eight penalties on Crosby last night, they should have credited Sid with a hat trick for scoring that goal. Of course, as usual, Lindy Ruff was crying like a frigging baby.

It's about time the Pens score some UGLY goals. Ugly goals win championships (ask Tomas Holmstrom).
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:10 am

No clear evidence either way...call on the ice stands...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:14 am

KG wrote:No clear evidence either way...call on the ice stands...

Bingo, on some of the replays it looked good, some it didn't. The interesting thing though is they didn't say it was a goal or not a goal on the ice, the ref never made a call.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:15 am

blade over, stick part that knocked the goal in, under or at crossbar~ victory.
:)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:15 am

if my life depended on it, i'd say it was above the crossbar. but the mitigating factor is that is was called a goal on the ice and there wasn't enough evidence upstairs to overturn it. if it was called no goal on the ice, that call would have stood.

it happens all the time in hockey and football. when it's too close to call, the call on the field/ice stands. if only the Vs. crew understood this really simple concept.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby drtofu66 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:18 am

darkstar57 wrote:

Bingo, on some of the replays it looked good, some it didn't. The interesting thing though is they didn't say it was a goal or not a goal on the ice, the ref never made a call.

The ref didn't wave it off immediately, either. There wasn't anythnig on replay to show that it was hit with a high stick and the puck ended up in the net-- how could it not be called a goal?
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:19 am

This. It was too close to overturn the call on the ice. However, I personally think it should have been a no goal call. If it was the call on the ice, and they couldn't overturn it, I would have been fine with that.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:21 am

Did anyone hear Bill Berg on NHL network last night? He said something to the effect "different rules for Crosby"...I couldn't tell if he was serious or not. But good ol Larry Murphy came to our defense...I always loved Murph...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:23 am

KG wrote:Did anyone hear Bill Berg on NHL network last night? He said something to the effect "different rules for Crosby"...I couldn't tell if he was serious or not. But good ol Larry Murphy came to our defense...I always loved Murph...

i saw that. another under-informed talking head who probably doesn't even watch the games. i guess lazy broadcasting is more transparent to us than it is to the broadcasters themselves.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:53 am

It was clearly no goal and you know we got hosed by calls all game long to allow Sid to cheat to win. You know he went up to the refs before the game and said:

"Hey, me and Geno want to mess with the Sabres so we need you guys to call the penalties 5-1 in favor of them so we are on our heels the entire game. We will even have Boucher bank one off his skate too to make it interesting. And then in OT, Geno is going to lob a puck in the air that I will hit down with a high stick. Now I need you guys to call it a goal, Betman already has the war room paid off, as usual, and then you'll find your enevlope full of cash in the locker room after the game. Sound good?"
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:02 am

I would of called it a no goal.
Factors to make it a goal was: he was far away from the crossbar/goal, it probably was way to close to over turn, and the NHL wants the penguins to win like last year. lol.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mumbobob on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:05 am

It was a close play, called a goal on the ice. From the camera angles, there's nothing conclusive. Gotta go with the call on the ice.
mumbobob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:09 am

I thought it was no-goal, but I'll take it.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby crayz on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:27 am

too close to call either way...Remember the Pens vs Rangers playoff game last year? Who was it Drury who hit that one that looked high and they still gave it to him?
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 am

mumbobob wrote:It was a close play, called a goal on the ice. From the camera angles, there's nothing conclusive. Gotta go with the call on the ice.

Not really but there was not a camera angle that showed it was a high stick. Even if the ref waived it off and he went to replay, unless the replay shows it was a high stick then the goal would have counted.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:43 am

DelPen wrote:It was clearly no goal and you know we got hosed by calls all game long to allow Sid to cheat to win. You know he went up to the refs before the game and said:

"Hey, me and Geno want to mess with the Sabres so we need you guys to call the penalties 5-1 in favor of them so we are on our heels the entire game. We will even have Boucher bank one off his skate too to make it interesting. And then in OT, Geno is going to lob a puck in the air that I will hit down with a high stick. Now I need you guys to call it a goal, Betman already has the war room paid off, as usual, and then you'll find your enevlope full of cash in the locker room after the game. Sound good?"

DelPen's got it right. :D
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffTZ on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:56 am

No goal personally.. So there was no on ice camera angle to see the cross bar and stick on a flat viewing level.. All camera angles are coming down so hard to get an accurate view of stick to cross bar level. But, this is my reasoning I say no goal. Crosby is what.. 5'10.. so like 6'0 on skates? Where is the stick when he makes contact with the puck? Upper chest? Using him as a reference to 4 feet (cross bar height off ice).. I would safetly assume that Sid's upper chest is higher than 4 feet off the ice? Thoughts on this logic?
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HockeyBaby on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:59 am

To me, it looked like a good goal.
It just depends where the puck hit Sid's stick.
His blade was obviously over the crossbar.
But, the call on the ice stands. Just like everyone else said.

Of course, everyone is going to say Sid got another call he wanted..
HockeyBaby

Postby Admin on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Looked good to me.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby beerman on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:06 pm

JeffTZ wrote:No goal personally.. So there was no on ice camera angle to see the cross bar and stick on a flat viewing level.. All camera angles are coming down so hard to get an accurate view of stick to cross bar level. But, this is my reasoning I say no goal. Crosby is what.. 5'10.. so like 6'0 on skates? Where is the stick when he makes contact with the puck? Upper chest? Using him as a reference to 4 feet (cross bar height off ice).. I would safetly assume that Sid's upper chest is higher than 4 feet off the ice? Thoughts on this logic?

Thats how I was trying to look at it last night when they were going through all the replays. I thought it was very close and wouldn't have been surprised no matter which way they ended up calling it.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffTZ on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:08 pm

by Admin on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:03 am

Looked good to me.

Are we celebrating the holidays this year with our Pens goggles on? My above logic should sell you other wise that shouldn't have counted (I am glad it did). Admin, your a 16 year frustrated Pirate fan complaining cause that was the best bunt this city has seen since Jay Bell
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:11 pm

JeffTZ wrote:No goal personally.. So there was no on ice camera angle to see the cross bar and stick on a flat viewing level.. All camera angles are coming down so hard to get an accurate view of stick to cross bar level. But, this is my reasoning I say no goal. Crosby is what.. 5'10.. so like 6'0 on skates? Where is the stick when he makes contact with the puck? Upper chest? Using him as a reference to 4 feet (cross bar height off ice).. I would safetly assume that Sid's upper chest is higher than 4 feet off the ice? Thoughts on this logic?

Get more cameras, I want less inferment from morons that make up sports officiating. Replay should have no area of assumptions.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins