OT Crosby Goal or no goal.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OT Crosby Goal or no goal.

Postby JeffTZ on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:16 pm

JeffTZ wrote:No goal personally.. So there was no on ice camera angle to see the cross bar and stick on a flat viewing level.. All camera angles are coming down so hard to get an accurate view of stick to cross bar level. But, this is my reasoning I say no goal. Crosby is what.. 5'10.. so like 6'0 on skates? Where is the stick when he makes contact with the puck? Upper chest? Using him as a reference to 4 feet (cross bar height off ice).. I would safetly assume that Sid's upper chest is higher than 4 feet off the ice? Thoughts on this logic?

Get more cameras, I want less inferment from morons that make up sports officiating. Replay should have no area of assumptions.

So I am being called a moron here? Just confused by that statement DelPen. I think my logic honestly is pretty right on here.. 4 feet is for 4 feet.. but I do agree.. more cameras would help
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:20 pm

JeffTZ wrote:
JeffTZ wrote:No goal personally.. So there was no on ice camera angle to see the cross bar and stick on a flat viewing level.. All camera angles are coming down so hard to get an accurate view of stick to cross bar level. But, this is my reasoning I say no goal. Crosby is what.. 5'10.. so like 6'0 on skates? Where is the stick when he makes contact with the puck? Upper chest? Using him as a reference to 4 feet (cross bar height off ice).. I would safetly assume that Sid's upper chest is higher than 4 feet off the ice? Thoughts on this logic?

Get more cameras, I want less inferment from morons that make up sports officiating. Replay should have no area of assumptions.

So I am being called a moron here? Just confused by that statement DelPen. I think my logic honestly is pretty right on here.. 4 feet is for 4 feet.. but I do agree.. more cameras would help

Unless you are a NHL official, I'm pretty sure he wasn't calling you a moron. :wink:
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffTZ on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:25 pm

Ok.. I feel better now :) Well.. at the end of the day.. 2 points is what we needed last night
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:26 pm

I thought it was good, but at the same time I can understand Sabres fans grousing over it. It was close.

Did the ref really ever call it one way or the other? He appeared to be in excellent position to make a call, but I never saw him point or wash it out. I hope he didn't bail on making a call because he knew he could just look at replay and not have to worry about getting it right on his own.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jaysmiter on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:34 pm

Honestly, it could have gone either way...but I have no problem with the way it went for no other reason than the quick whistle Ryan Miller got earlier this season against the Pens.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby juicebox1 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:39 pm

KG wrote:Did anyone hear Bill Berg on NHL network last night? He said something to the effect "different rules for Crosby"...I couldn't tell if he was serious or not. But good ol Larry Murphy came to our defense...I always loved Murph...

They muttered something of that nature on SportsCenter this morning also. The anchors of mid-day SC are very unprofessional and simply terrible. Seriously, this goal is scored by anyone else, and it's a non-issue.
juicebox1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:41 pm

JeffTZ wrote:Ok.. I feel better now :) Well.. at the end of the day.. 2 points is what we needed last night

I would trust you to make the call but not the bufoon's in Toronto to make a judgement.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffTZ on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:26 pm

Netwolf.. I don't remember ever seeing the ref pointing or washing it out.. I think he did what you thought.. figured, well I wouldn't do anything and I will have Toronto tell me the right call..
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby hahnski86 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:37 pm

penny lane wrote:blade over, stick part that knocked the goal in, under or at crossbar~ victory.
:)

thats EXACTLY what happened...crosby even said it in the postgame interview with Chris Simpson...

the blade IMO was CLEARLY above the crossbar, but where the puck struck the shaft was below or equal to the crossbar...

either way 2 points and another incredible game decided in the 3rd between the Sabres and the Pens
hahnski86
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Azkar on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:56 pm

No one will ever know, but the bottom line is that there was not enough evidence in the replay to overturn the call on the ice

I like the way thepensblog put it:

"If A.O scored this goal, its the greatest OT goal ever scored.
Crosby scores it: It is a conspiracy. "
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:05 pm

JeffTZ wrote:Netwolf.. I don't remember ever seeing the ref pointing or washing it out.. I think he did what you thought.. figured, well I wouldn't do anything and I will have Toronto tell me the right call..

Of course you have no idea what the ref said when asked the question "Well, you had the best view, you were even smart enough to crouch down to the level of the crossbar to get a better view, was it a goal?"
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby cs6687 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:10 pm

cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:51 pm

It was close either way. The way the puck hit the shaft of the stick, it really didn't look above the crossbar to me. Overall, if Bob and Doug McKenzie looking at the screens over in Toronto couldn't see anything to overturn it, then who is to say we know and could see better?

Both teams worked hard, but the Sabres had the turkey on the table for them all night and failed to take advantage of it, plus giving up the ol' 2 goal lead to boot. Not much of a "robbery" to me.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:05 pm

If there is a need to expand the review, the Video Goal Judge will
advise the off-ice official at ice level and the Public Address
Announcer that the “play is under review”. Once the play has been
reviewed and deemed a goal, the goal will be announced in the
normal manner. If the review reveals that the goal must be disallowed,
the Public Address Announcer shall announce the reason for the
disallowed goal as reported by the Referee.
When the Video Goal Judge observes an incident involving a
potential goal that was undetected by the on-ice officials he will
contact the Referee at the first stoppage of play and inform him that a
review of the play is in progress.

I can't find anything indicating the need for evidence to overturn a call. The review is conducted to determine if its a goal or not and then report down to the ice.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
If there is a need to expand the review, the Video Goal Judge will
advise the off-ice official at ice level and the Public Address
Announcer that the “play is under review”. Once the play has been
reviewed and deemed a goal, the goal will be announced in the
normal manner. If the review reveals that the goal must be disallowed,
the Public Address Announcer shall announce the reason for the
disallowed goal as reported by the Referee.
When the Video Goal Judge observes an incident involving a
potential goal that was undetected by the on-ice officials he will
contact the Referee at the first stoppage of play and inform him that a
review of the play is in progress.

I can't find anything indicating the need for evidence to overturn a call. The review is conducted to determine if its a goal or not and then report down to the ice.

That's exactly correct. Why a lot of the hockey media seems to think it's the same procedure as the NFL is beyond me. I can understand why fans would have that misconception, but not the entire crew in the VS studios to go along with the pathetic announcers. BAH!

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:11 pm

Without a doubt to me it was a goal. From the angles we're given, there is no evidence that the part of the stick that deflected the puck was above the cross bar. I saw on ESPN today where the anchor said it was clearly no goal because his stick was above the crossbar - bozo, it doesn't matter that the part of the stick that didn't hit the puck was over - it's about where the stick in relation to the puck was. It was about as close as it could have gotten, but to me the puck was deflected either exactly at the crossbar or slightly under it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:34 pm

Sid was also bending forward. Without being able to calculate how far, your measurements are a moot point.

From every angle I saw, his blade may have been above the crossbar, but the puck hit the shaft which was angled down. Looked just below the crossbar, yet very close, to me.

dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby marek on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:52 pm

It's clearly time for a glowing gps chip in all NHL pucks... LOL
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:00 pm

As much the rtards on Vs said it wasn't good. It was.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby holeinone on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:57 pm

JUst like the steelers scored that phantom touchdown in Baltimore It was a goal whether he hi sticked it or not
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins