Official GDT: 12/23/08 vs. Penguins south (er, TBL)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: 12/23/08 vs. Penguins south (er, TBL)

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:35 pm

I'll say it again. Injuries are an excuse. As funny as it sounds as well, even if Shero would fire MT you won't see it till the first of the year. It's Christmas. He's not gonna fire him now.
Last edited by SolidSnake on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:36 pm

at this point with all the talk about getting a winger for line 1....i'd settle for a grinder or 2 that are willing to bust their butts and give the team an edge and some much needed fire/energy.

Remember when Shero first took over as GM...he said one of his main goals was to make our team "tough to play against". Well guess what, we're easy to play against. We need a Hollweg, Petrovicky, Ruutu, Cooke-clone to bring some toughness, speed, energy.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wallflower on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:37 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I'll say it again. Injuries are an excuses.

That's your opinion. What's the difference in the team this month as opposed to last month? I'll give you a hint: it involves Jeff Taffe taking a regular shift.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cojac on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:37 pm

DelPen wrote:Time to send some messages.

1) Satan gets benched, Pesonen plays with Sid.
2) Eaton and Boucher sit, even if Letang and Gill aren't ready you bring up Lovejoy and Richmond
3) Talbot also sits, Bring up James or Thomas.

If for some reason we need roster space put some guys on the IR, make them sweat it out for a week.

Agree, Talbot once said he wanted to be a player that was hated by the other teams. He's gone soff
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cs6687 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:38 pm

The postgame radio show mentioned Therrien saying there's pouting on the bench. If it's not one of the core players, get their @$$ outta here ASAFP.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:38 pm

wallflower wrote:

That's your opinion. What's the difference in the team this month as opposed to last month? I'll give you a hint: it involves Jeff Taffe taking a regular shift.

lol so you're blaming this losing on injuries? that's funny. It's an excuse. Every team deals with injuries.
Last edited by SolidSnake on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 pm

Injuries don't cause a team to not give a crap most nights. This team flat out doesn't give an honest ...60 minute effort ever. Heck.. they barely give a 20 minute effort these days.

Injuries are an excuse, every team deals with them, and there have been teams that are worse off than us. I'm not saying they don't matter at all, but this team has alot more problems than players going in and out of the lineup. The effort it's not there, the hardwork.. it's not there. This team feels they can just glyde through the season and get to the playoffs. Doesn't work that way. They are the hunted not the hunter, and they don't have any killer instinct.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cojac on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 pm

cs6687 wrote:Once is an accident: The effort vs Philadelphia ten days ago.
Two is a trend: Saturday vs Toronto.
Three is a problem. Tonight's game.

Four means we suck.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:Decimated by injuries? You have a 4th line center out, a 3rd line winger, and a Defenseman that everyone wanted to bench a few weeks ago, I would hardly say injuries are killing us.

I'm certainly not using injuries as an excuse. But regarding the guys you mentioned...their loss is a negative impact on this team, not because of what line they play or their roles on the team. Their loss is a negative impact on this team because of how they play and what they bring to the table.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:43 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
wallflower wrote:

lol so you're blaming this losing on injuries? that's funny. It's excuse. Every team deals with injuries.

Did I say all the losing was because of injury? No. But it definitely plays a part in things and I think it's hilarious and short-sighted to say it's not a factor. Of course every team deals with injuries but it has been a lot of key role player guys, and that's not even taking the defense into account.

There's plenty of things (players) to criticize right now but what good does that do? Does it make you feel better to post crazy over the top rants after losses? I just don't see the point. If that makes me an "over optimist" (which is extremely funny btw), so be it. I'd rather be an "over optimist" than constantly miserable about something that I follow as entertainment.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:44 pm

lol so you're blaming this losing on injuries? that's funny. It's excuse. Every team deals with injuries.[/quote]
Did I say all the losing was because of injury? No. But it definitely plays a part in things and I think it's hilarious and short-sighted to say it's not a factor. Of course every team deals with injuries but it has been a lot of key role players guys, and that's not even taking the defense into account.

There's plenty of things (players) to criticize right now but what good does that do? Does it make you feel better to post crazy over the top rants after losses? I just don't see the point. If that makes me an "over optimist" (which is extremely funny btw), so be it. I'd rather be an "over optimist" than constantly miserable about something that I follow as entertainment.[/quote]

I'm not "miserable" I'm stating my opinion. If you want to view that as me being miserable then well I can't help you with that.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DrBoni on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Fleury - HAS
Talbot - HAS
Crosby - HAS

Injuries are an excuse.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:Decimated by injuries? You have a 4th line center out, a 3rd line winger, and a Defenseman that everyone wanted to bench a few weeks ago, I would hardly say injuries are killing us.

I'm certainly not using injuries as an excuse. But regarding the guys you mentioned...their loss is a negative impact on this team, not because of what line they play or their roles on the team. Their loss is a negative impact on this team because of how they play and what they bring to the table.

I think its time to face facts.. Team isn't as good as the one last year, top 6 forwards last year in the cup were better then the top 6 this year, outside of Sid and Geno of course.

Hossa
Sid
Dupuis
Malkin
Malone
Sykora

Satan
Sid
Dupuis
Malkin
Tank
Sykora

I think everyone knew that before the season started. And I think everyone knows that now.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby letsgopens87 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:48 pm

Tonight was just a big, fat FAIL.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby saveourpens on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:51 pm

DrBoni wrote:
saveourpens wrote:Had Sykora not had a brain fart, no one here would be calling for MT's head. No one here would be ******** about every player and over-analyzing. The Pens would've come out with a win.

Yes, this is a very rough stretch, but some of you guys fail to grasp the concept of a very fine line btwn winning and losing.

There is no doubt that within a month or so, the Pens will be back to being one of the best in the NHL.

I really hope that not many have that attitude. Especially the players. Because UNLESS SOMETHING CHANGES, they will not turn anything around. If something doesn't change, this team won't finish in the top 8. Unless something changes, we'll all look back at this season and wonder what happened.

Now if something does change, and I hope it does, don't look back on this time and say "How stupid do you feel now when you overreacted back in December." Obviously, the team will have woken up if we get things back on track. Let's hope for that.

I'm through assuming that this team will be in the playoffs. That's far from a given just because we have talent and we were in the SCF last year.

Did I not say that this is a very rough stretch? Yes, something has to change, but it all comes back to the players (no not the coaching staff), which is why I have no doubt that the ship will turn around.

Some people here just sound like some of the Versus fools. When a team is up by a goal they are suddenly forchecking the whole time, sacrificing...when the game is tied up, they are losing all the battles, not trying....
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guins87 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:54 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
DrBoni wrote:Fleury - HAS
Talbot - HAS
Crosby - HAS

Injuries are an excuse.

No there not...

Injuries are an excuse when the team is competing and the injuries are to people that make us less talented than another team. That is not the case right now. The effort and fire isn't there. We are missing some players, but we are losing to teams like Toronto and Tampa Bay.
guins87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:58 pm

guins87 wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:
DrBoni wrote:Fleury - HAS
Talbot - HAS
Crosby - HAS

Injuries are an excuse.

No there not...

Injuries are an excuse when the team is competing and the injuries are to people that make us less talented than another team. That is not the case right now. The effort and fire isn't there. We are missing some players, but we are losing to teams like Toronto and Tampa Bay.

Yes, exactly. This team isn't even worthy of using any excuses because they haven't done anything to use excuses. They haven't competed at all and they are getting outworked and outhustled. And as guins87 said, when you're competing and hustling, but yet can't get the ball rolling, yes, injuries have a play in that. But right now, there is ZERO EXCUSE for this team's play. ZERO.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guins87 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:58 pm

Therien says they are bickering and talking about each other on the bench....not good.
guins87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:00 am

saveourpens wrote:Some people here just sound like some of the Versus fools. When a team is up by a goal they are suddenly forchecking the whole time, sacrificing...when the game is tied up, they are losing all the battles, not trying....

It's pretty ridiculous around here right now. I think I'm going to mostly stay away from the Pens board until after the break.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:02 am

guins87 wrote:Therien says they are bickering and talking about each other on the bench....not good.

I'm just hoping to God that Therrien hasn't lost control of this team.

I guess these things can happen when you lose a whole bunch of guys and get a whole bunch of new guys from one year to the next. I'm not blaming any of the new guys, just saying that these things can have an impact on the team as a whole.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guins87 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:04 am

Why So Serious? wrote:
guins87 wrote:Therien says they are bickering and talking about each other on the bench....not good.

I guess these things can happen when you lose a whole bunch of guys and get a whole bunch of new guys from one year to the next. I'm not blaming any of the new guys, just saying that these things can have an impact on the team as a whole.

As a leader, Crosby needs to put a stop to the talking and bickering, but sadly i can see him being one of the people talking about others.
guins87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgopens87 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:05 am

I bet someone stole Crosby's girlfriend.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:05 am

Karl_Racki wrote:

Well, if that is true, Therrien will be canned or a major trade will happen soon.. I mean major..

I don't know - Shero doesn't panic or overreact because of a couple of ridiculous performances....

I think either way, he knows this team is soft, and he'll address it before the playoffs.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:06 am

guins87 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

As a leader, Crosby needs to put a stop to the talking and bickering, but sadly i can see him being one of the people talking about others.

As can I because if you just look at his demeanor on the ice, it seems like he doesn't want any part of playing alongside some of the guys that are his wingers, namely Dupuis and Satan. And then you pair him up with Malkin and he suddenly looks a little better.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:07 am

Steve wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:

Well, if that is true, Therrien will be canned or a major trade will happen soon.. I mean major..

I don't know - Shero doesn't panic or overreact because of a couple of ridiculous performances....

I think either way, he knows this team is soft, and he'll address it before the playoffs.

I agree. I said it in another thread earlier that I expect Shero to make deadline moves reminiscent of the deadline moves he made in the 06/07 season, when he brought in Laraque and Roberts.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins