Official GDT: 12/23/08 vs. Penguins south (er, TBL)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: 12/23/08 vs. Penguins south (er, TBL)

Postby Steve on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:09 am

Sid has looked ordinary in the last few games, but let's not get crazy here. (not directed at anyone in particular)

The problem is, he and especially Malkin, have been carrying this team all season. When one or both is off, we struggle.

Fortunately, there have been very few games in which either has struggled this year.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby guins87 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:10 am

he had so much desire two years ago, but it seems like he has regressed the past year and a half. Even last year prior to the injury he was racking up points, but in my eyes he was nowhere near as dominant as the year before. Maybe he has a tendency to feel bad for himself and it rubs guys the wrong way. Malone went public saying he liked playing on Malkins like better. Hossa is offered 6 years for more money to stay here on a line with Sid and leaves for a one year deal with Detroit. It makes you wonder.
guins87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:11 am

I blame George Bush.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:12 am

Why So Serious? wrote:
I agree. I said it in another thread earlier that I expect Shero to make deadline moves reminiscent of the deadline moves he made in the 06/07 season, when he brought in Laraque and Roberts.

Yeah, good points and I can see that. Really, another Cooke type player or two and and upgrade over Satan would do wonders for this team.

The important thing now though, is that our players have to be as pissed as we are right now. If that's not the case, then we're in trouble.
Last edited by Steve on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:12 am

Steve wrote:Sid has looked ordinary in the last few games, but let's not get crazy here. (not directed at anyone in particular)

The problem is, he and especially Malkin, have been carrying this team all season. When one or both is off, we struggle.

Fortunately, there have been very few games in which either has struggled this year.

That's because Malkin has shown up to play every game.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:16 am

i sure wish i hadn't been at the game tonight, the toronto game, and the game in philly. what pathetic performances.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Easton on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:17 am

I'm going to laugh when this team reels off five in a row, and all the sky is falling people slowly sit down in realization that they were once again wrong. There's a difference between being realistic and stupid. Unfortunately, most of the people here tonight are acting like the latter. And some people are just starting crap because they thrive in drama, which makes things worse.

MT is not getting canned. Sid is not going to complain about his coach. MT has not lost control. They're going through a rut. That sums up what's going on right now. All you MT sucks, fire him, this team is lost people can keep singing your we suck song but few of you will be here to eat the crow that will be served on a golden plate. And those of you that are, kudos, but I've seen enough in the past two years here to know that's going to be a rare sight.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:20 am

Why So Serious? wrote:
Steve wrote:Sid has looked ordinary in the last few games, but let's not get crazy here. (not directed at anyone in particular)

Sid isn't the problem, if that's what you're suggesting. He and Gino (especially) have carried this team all season long.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:20 am

Why So Serious? wrote:Thank you for continuing to point out the obvious Crosby. How about showing up every once in a while? That would be nice.

lolwut?

Are you actually referring to the NHL's second leading scorer as if he is Michel Ouellet?
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:21 am

Daniel87 wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:Also, we need real wingers. Bad. Kovy would look nice in black and gold.

I'm not sure the Habs wanna give up their best player.

I was referring to #17 in Atlanta, thanks.

Madden was speculating that the Pens are in on him today.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:22 am

Steve wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

Sid isn't the problem, if that's what you're suggesting. He and Gino (especially) have carried this team all season long.

I never said Sid is the problem. He's still one of the best in the world and will continue to be for a very long time. But when your captain and leader has been as invisible as he has been, it's worth pointing out. Whichever way you want to slice it, Malkin's been the better player and he has carried the bigger load all season long.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Easton on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 am

Karl_Racki wrote:
Easton wrote:I'm going to laugh when this team reels off five in a row, and all the sky is falling people slowly sit down in realization that they were once again wrong. There's a difference between being realistic and stupid. Unfortunately, most of the people here tonight are acting like the latter. And some people are just starting crap because they thrive in drama, which makes things worse.

MT is not getting canned. Sid is not going to complain about his coach. MT has not lost control. They're going through a rut. That sums up what's going on right now. All you MT sucks, fire him, this team is lost people can keep singing your we suck song but few of you will be here to eat the crow that will be served on a golden plate. And those of you that are, kudos, but I've seen enough in the past two years here to know that's going to be a rare sight.

I am glad you are on the bench, when the coach mentions guys are fighting on the bench, its a eye raiser and needs addressed.

Pot meet kettle. You don't know what they were fighting about on the bench, what they were saying, what they were complaining about - you know nothing more than anyone else does here. Quit acting like you do, and alleging that "Sid may be complaining" and that MT is going to be canned because he lost control. Your history shows that you thrive on riling everyone else up - it's just silly.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guins87 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 am

Easton wrote:I'm going to laugh when this team reels off five in a row, and all the sky is falling people slowly sit down in realization that they were once again wrong. There's a difference between being realistic and stupid. Unfortunately, most of the people here tonight are acting like the latter. And some people are just starting crap because they thrive in drama, which makes things worse.

I'm not sure why people can't complain to an extent. Lets be honest this team has not played all that well this year. We have lost a lot of third period leads. We are consistently outshot. There's a lot of passengers on this team right now. In the past few years during losing streaks the effort was mostly there, it hasn't been this year.
guins87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:24 am

purelebo84 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:Thank you for continuing to point out the obvious Crosby. How about showing up every once in a while? That would be nice.

lolwut?

Are you actually referring to the NHL's second leading scorer as if he is Michel Ouellet?

Did you notice him tonight? Or for that matter in all of December, besides last night since he scored the OT goal? If so, kudos to you.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Easton on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:26 am

guins87 wrote:

I'm not sure why people can't complain to an extent. Lets be honest this team has not played all that well this year. We have lost a lot of third period leads. We are consistently outshot. There's a lot of passengers on this team right now. In the past few years during losing streaks the effort was mostly there, it hasn't been this year.

I never said people can't complain. I said there's a difference between being realistic and stupid. 90% of these posts have to do with firing the coach, the coach losing control, blah blah blah - a bunch of crap. They're playing bad, lazy, stupid hockey. They've done the same thing in the past. They've straightened up in the past, too.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:34 am

Why So Serious? wrote:I never said Sid is the problem. He's still one of the best in the world and will continue to be for a very long time. But when your captain and leader has been as invisible as he has been, it's worth pointing out. Whichever way you want to slice it, Malkin's been the better player and he has carried the bigger load all season long.

Malkin is without a doubt our best player. Sid has been miles better than our 3rd best player this season, and a big part of our success this season, that's all I'm saying. Some of the posts (not directed at you) are just comical in this thread - but i understand people are venting, as I am.

The last few games Sid has looked ordinary, and it's definately worth pointing out. I am curious as to why as well - it's very uncharacteristic for a guy who never takes a shift off, even in practice. One thing I noticed in the Flyers game is that they (for once), left Sid alone - and Sid didn't do much in that game, when he normally kills the Flyers. It's more than that of course, but just something I noticed.
Last edited by Steve on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Easton on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:35 am

Karl_Racki wrote:
Easton wrote:
guins87 wrote:

I never said people can't complain. I said there's a difference between being realistic and stupid. 90% of these posts have to do with firing the coach, the coach losing control, blah blah blah - a bunch of crap. They're playing bad, lazy, stupid hockey. They've done the same thing in the past. They've straightened up in the past, too.

Therrien himself said there is bickering on the bench, I guess you missed that part.

He said players are complaining. That's what he said. Do you know what they were complaining about? No, you do not.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:38 am

have a great holiday everyone.

And how about Scuds hit on Malone tonight? (had to at least post the one good thing that happened in this game)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:39 am

Steve wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:I never said Sid is the problem. He's still one of the best in the world and will continue to be for a very long time. But when your captain and leader has been as invisible as he has been, it's worth pointing out. Whichever way you want to slice it, Malkin's been the better player and he has carried the bigger load all season long.

Malkin is without a doubt our best player. Sid has been miles better than our 3rd best player this season, and a big part of our success this season, that's all I'm saying. Some of the posts (not directed at you) are just comical in this thread - but i understand people are venting, as I am.

The last few games Sid has looked ordinary, and it's definately worth pointing out. I am curious as to why as well - it's very uncharacteristic for a guy who never takes a shift off, even in practice. One thing I noticed in the Flyers game is that they (for once), left Sid alone - and Sid didn't do much in that game, when he normally kills the Flyers. It's more than that of course, but just something I noticed.

I think it has a lot to do with how players just know how to play Sid now. He has become a very predictable player. Malkin will show you a whole bunch of things and be completely unpredictable.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Easton on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:40 am

Karl_Racki wrote:Isn't players complaining on the bench losing control? Why you say its stupid to bring it up is beyond me and says its crap when he said it himself.

How is that losing control? If that's the golden rule: Whenever players bicker on a bench, the coach has lost control - them I'm sure you can fire about...oh, every coach that's been behind the bench in the past 2 years. Boy, we'd have an awful shortage on coaches, don't you think?
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:42 am

Easton wrote:He said players are complaining. That's what he said. Do you know what they were complaining about? No, you do not.

At first he said they were complaining on the bench. Then he was asked to elaborate and he hesitated and said that they were complaining on the ice. At first I thought he meant that they were complaining about penalties or the lack there of. Who knows what really happened.

I agree though. We have no business trying to make assumptions of him losing control when we don't have all the facts.

Edit: I knew the second he said that that this was going to get blown out of proportion. Perhaps that is why he later said that they were complaining on the ice and not the bench.
Last edited by Daniel87 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Easton on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:45 am

Karl_Racki wrote:
Easton wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:Isn't players complaining on the bench losing control? Why you say its stupid to bring it up is beyond me and says its crap when he said it himself.

How is that losing control? If that's the golden rule: Whenever players bicker on a bench, the coach has lost control - them I'm sure you can fire about...oh, every coach that's been behind the bench in the past 2 years. Boy, we'd have an awful shortage on coaches, don't you think?

Please show me where other teams have had this problem..

If you don't think players complain about things on the bench, or as Daniel clarified for us, on the ice - then this argument is over.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:47 am

Karl_Racki wrote:
Easton wrote:

Please show me where other teams have had this problem..

It's hard to pinpoint something like that. But when any team is going through a stretch similar to what the Pens are going thru right now, frustrations will be brought about, which can lead to bickering on benches, etc...

And it's hard to decipher exactly what Therrien said in his press conference. As another poster said, Therrien said two different things regarding the complaining of the players.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby holeinone on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:59 am

Gutless and lack of effort in all three zones. I said earlier in the season they have no wingers and there is only one remedy, you have to try and trade someone of value to get something in return. You use your chips and assets to get one of your needs. If that means Staal or someone else like that, then so be it. Looking at this team there is just something missing and it just looks like they don't really care and don't stick up for one another like they did in the past. Really hard to put your finger on one thing that is missing. There is so much missing, the list is long and never ending. Home record is horrible and no pride with this group
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:02 am

holeinone wrote:Gutless and lack of effort in all three zones. I said earlier in the season they have no wingers and there is only one remedy, you have to try and trade someone of value to get something in return. You use your chips and assets to get one of your needs. If that means Staal or someone else like that, then so be it. Looking at this team there is just something missing and it just looks like they don't really care and don't stick up for one another like they did in the past. Really hard to put your finger on one thing that is missing. There is so much missing, the list is long and never ending. Home record is horrible and no pride with this group

What we got out of the ass-kicking we took from the Flyers last season was invaluable. This year, we have no one outside Godard that will really look to punish players if the game is out of hand. They are a very very soft team right now. I expect that to change by the trade deadline however.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins