Are we a bad team?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Are we a bad team?

Postby vjx67 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:48 pm

i keep thinking to myself, how can we be a bad team with the league's 2 best players, a stellar young goalie, great offensive defensemen, a competent coach, and some decent role players?

it just doesn't make sense to me. i don't think we're a bad team, but good teams don't get shutout by tampa bay. well maybe they do once in a while, but it seems as though losses like this (vs. tampa, toronto, senators) are becoming more common than not.

can someone please convince me that this truly is a good team that's jsut down on its luck, so that i can back up off this ledge:

or are we actually a bad team? in that case...

[/jump]
vjx67
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Are we a bad team?

Postby cs6687 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:49 pm

Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn’t Work Hard!
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:50 pm

-we don't have a bad team
-we are playing bad right now (and have been for a while)
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:53 pm

We are a bad team RIGHT NOW. But in the long run and over the course of this season, they are a fine team.

But I am sick and tired of people that say "It's only December, things will get better." It surely doesn't seem that way. And as far as I'm concerned these are the points that come back and bite you in the ass come March and April. You look back at losses to Toronto, Tampa Bay, Ottawa, etc... and say to yourself, "Damn, if only we could have gotten some points out of those games." The season is now not too far from January and is moving along at a rapid pace. That being said, this team has to start winning NOW. We are falling like rocks and with the way other teams in the conference and division are consistently winning games, the road to the top is very very very steep. Winning HAS to be begin on Friday. I hate to call games in December must-wins, but with the recent slide of this team in the standings, Friday night is a must-win. We HAVE to win Friday night against a division foe no less.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WHITEY1 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:03 am

No were a team that is playing like a bunch of pansies. Boucher and Stall may be the 2 biggest pansies on the team. There is no reason at all with there size they should let people go to our net like they did tonight (Boucher in for 2 of them).
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Current One on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:07 am

Bad is too strong, but definitely mediocre. Strong down the middle with Sid and Geno, but beyond that, not much else. The defense is, for the most part, soft. Orpik and Scuderi are really the only two d-men who are physical, and big enough to move people. Letang can be physical, but he's too small. Gill is good at using his stick, but is slower than molasses. Boucher blows, and Eaton stinks. Goligoski is playing well as a rookie, but has a long way to go defensively.

Sid and Geno are...well, Sid and Geno, and right now, even Sid isn't playing well. The rest of the forwards (except for Cooke), are useless. Satan is washed up, Fedotenko has hands of stone, and the rest couldn't score on an open net. Staal has been invisible, and every time I see that Kessel has scored another goal, I curse Shero's name. How do you pass on a guy with a goal-scoring pedigree for someone who showed no offensive ability in juniors, and especially when there was (and still is) no one is the system who has shown that they can score goals? Staal was drafted based upon his size and name, and as I said before, other than the Detroit game where he dominated, he's been the second coming of Chris Wells.

In goal, MAF has been inconsistent, and Sabourin is a seive.

Put it all together, and this team is mediocre at best.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:09 am

Daniel87 wrote:-we don't have a bad team

This is it, simply put.

If people want to jump, go ahead, that's their/your choice. I stuck around during the bad years, I'm not going anywhere after a couple weeks of subpar play.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mumbobob on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:10 am

WHITEY1 wrote:No were a team that is playing like a bunch of pansies. Boucher and Stall may be the 2 biggest pansies on the team. There is no reason at all with there size they should let people go to our net like they did tonight (Boucher in for 2 of them).

I don't know that I would call them "pansies". Boucher's positioning and reactions in the defensive end have been brutally bad of late, although thinking about it I'm not sure if they've been good since he came back from his injury. Staal is actually playing more physically of late than I've ever seen him. I think Cooke has really rubbed off on him in a very positive way. He's finally using that giant frame of his to his advantage along the wall.

That said, the Pens have been very lax in most phases of the game lately, especially the last couple of weeks.
mumbobob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Killiecrankie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:27 am

We are a middling team, we have a couple elite players, and then a roster of average players. We don't have the good players that fall between that elite/average gap that teams such as SJ, Detroit, Boston have. This is going to be an off year most probably, it will be a battle for this squad to get back to the playoffs. And we should have expected this, what with FA and past history. Look at how other Eastern Conference Champs have fallen the next year after their run.

I also don't know the Wisdom of sinking 31.4M of a 56M salary cap into 5 players. You just are not going to have a strong roster all the way through with that formula. Maybe Shero saw this and made the Hossa move to make our run when we could afford to do it
Killiecrankie

Postby penscup on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:00 am

Please do everyone a favor and just JUMP! All those who are doubting this team right now and want to cry about every little problem this team is fighting threw right now just go ahead and JUMP! Because Lord knows none of you will be around when the team goes on their next 15 game win streak or makes it to the Stanley Cup Finals again. If you don't understand that the season is a marathon, not a sprint, go back and read all the gloom and doom posts from a year a go at about the same time which will take you close to 5 or 6 days to do, and then come back and rethink your overrections to what is currently going on.

How can you not understand that injuries to key players are still affecting this team right now?

Gonchar did not play.
Letang did not play.
Gill did not play.
Kennedy did not play.
Zigomanis did not play.
Whitney played his first game of the year.

These aren't excuses but they are reality and failure to understand how much they can affect the overall performance of the this team even with 2 great players like Crosby and Malkin is short-sighted to put it kindly.

We are not going to win all 82 games this season, learn to live with it, or do everyone a favor and just jump, headfirst preferably.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Killiecrankie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:05 am

penscup wrote:Please do everyone a favor and just JUMP! All those who are doubting this team right now and want to cry about every little problem this team is fighting threw right now just go ahead and JUMP! Because Lord knows none of you will be around when the team goes on their next 15 game win streak or makes it to the Stanley Cup Finals again. If you don't understand that the season is a marathon, not a sprint, go back and read all the gloom and doom posts from a year a go at about the same time which will take you close to 5 or 6 days to do, and then come back and rethink your overrections to what is currently going on.

How can you not understand that injuries to key players are still affecting this team right now?

Gonchar did not play.
Letang did not play.
Gill did not play.
Kennedy did not play.
Zigomanis did not play.
Whitney played his first game of the year.

These aren't excuses but they are reality and failure to understand how much they can affect the overall performance of the this team even with 2 great players like Crosby and Malkin is short-sighted to put it kindly.

We are not going to win all 82 games this season, learn to live with it, or do everyone a favor and just jump, headfirst preferably.

Even with those players we are still a lower tier playoff squad, especially with our lack of forward depth. Obviously there can be a deal made to rectify the situation and there probably will be.
Killiecrankie

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:07 am

The team has no identity this year and are really hurting due to injuries.

The injuries are no excuse for the way the first 2 lines with the exception of Sykora and Malkin played tonight.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby holeinone on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:17 am

Sometimes you get what you deserve and money is the underlying factor. Guys get their money and too much I might add and they become lazy. Look at MLB, do you think those guys on the Pirates really give a crap whether they win or not?? But on payday they laugh all the way to the bank. No cares, no worries. They are millionaires and have 6 months off to enjoy their money. It is when you have to perform to earn money that is when the chips are down. When you have it, you got it made in the shade. It is the everyday fan that is the one suffering, paying big money to watch them play and living and dying with every period and every game. The players don't have any cares at all. Money is guaranteed
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:38 am

I do find it a little funny when people say that we are still loosing due to injuries. Really? i do understand the importance of role players, but really, we are loosing cause we dont have Kennedy or Ziggy? Ziggy wins faceoffs, i do rememeber winning last year even though we didnt win faceoffs. TK does add a little spark, but nothing that Wallace hasnt been doing (except putting in the odd goal). As far as our D goes. We have Whit back. We still have 6 NHL ready and able bodies on the blueline. yes Gonch is missed, but we wont lots of games last year without Sid. And if we are loosing due to not having Gill, then we are in more trouble then lots of us think.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:52 am

Kennedy created more turnovers and was better at cycling the puck with Staal and Cooke than Wallace. He made that 3rd line.

But it's no excuse for the way the Pens are playing.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby beerman on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:58 am

Noise wrote:Kennedy created more turnovers and was better at cycling the puck with Staal and Cooke than Wallace. He made that 3rd line.

But it's no excuse for the way the Pens are playing.

Wallace is still playing well though and working hard. It's the other lines that have forgotten about doing that.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:59 am

We are a team?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:09 pm

wallflower wrote:

This is it, simply put.

If people want to jump, go ahead, that's their/your choice. I stuck around during the bad years, I'm not going anywhere after a couple weeks of subpar play.

I don't think because we are playing bad that some people are gonna stop watching all together.....
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:09 pm

EVERYTHING SUCKS. I WISH I WAS DEAD.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wallflower on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
wallflower wrote:

This is it, simply put.

I don't think because we are playing bad that some people are gonna stop watching all together.....

Did you even read the thread/OP?
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:22 pm

If people want to jump, go ahead, that's their/your choice. I stuck around during the bad years, I'm not going anywhere after a couple weeks of subpar play.[/quote]

I don't think because we are playing bad that some people are gonna stop watching all together.....[/quote]
Did you even read the thread/OP?[/quote]

Yea, you're the "ultimate fan".
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby farnham16 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:12 pm

Are we a bad team? Absolutely not. Have we been playing poor for over a month? Absolutely.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby muffinarm on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:15 pm

I think the Penguins are a pretty mediocre team that has little consistency and no real identity. Sure, they have Malkin and Crosby, but Pittsburgh often gets outworked and for the most part shows very little grit.
muffinarm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:18 pm

The Penguins will love having John Tavares next year. Hopefully he knows to start getting work in on wing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:20 pm

I would kill to have the kind of offensive depth the Flyers have. I hate that team more than any other sports franchise, but wow, they are scoring 5-6 goals/game more consistently than any team I have seen in recent history.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins