Are we a bad team?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are we a bad team?

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:21 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:I would kill to have the kind of offensive depth the Flyers have. I hate that team more than any other sports franchise, but wow, they are scoring 5-6 goals/game more consistently than any team I have seen in recent history.

Yeah and what do the sacrifice for it? Defensive depth and goaltending. No thanks.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:I would kill to have the kind of offensive depth the Flyers have. I hate that team more than any other sports franchise, but wow, they are scoring 5-6 goals/game more consistently than any team I have seen in recent history.

Yeah and what do the sacrifice for it? Defensive depth and goaltending. No thanks.

That is very true. But I was speaking strictly from the offensive point of things. They have 3 lines in which each player can play on the top 6.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:29 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Yea, you're the "ultimate fan".

Nothing like taking something entirely out of context just because you've decided you don't like someone who isn't as miserable & negative as you. Congrats on making my ignore list.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Cryers are in form right now,we suck right now,simple as that.. We will be fine,soon Ziggy is back,then TK,soon Gonch.. The problem is with Sarge,that he will need a month to get into form,and by then very soon there will be playoffs.. I hope that wont be problem..
We arent bad team,just in a bad form and with some problems in heads,they are not relax as they should be..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:42 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Cryers are in form right now,we suck right now,simple as that.. We will be fine,soon Ziggy is back,then TK,soon Gonch.. The problem is with Sarge,that he will need a month to get into form,and by then very soon there will be playoffs.. I hope that wont be problem..
We arent bad team,just in a bad form and with some problems in heads,they are not relax as they should be..

We were #2 in the standings a few weeks ago without Sarge and Whitney. I don't think their injuries are why we've slipped. We've shown we can win without them. Something stems deeper with this team from them shutting down when they have leads (we could have 12 points more now if we didn't blow several games weeks back).
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:52 pm

wallflower wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Yea, you're the "ultimate fan".

Nothing like taking something entirely out of context just because you've decided you don't like someone who isn't as miserable & negative as you. Congrats on making my ignore list.

LOL :lol:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Cryers are in form right now,we suck right now,simple as that.. We will be fine,soon Ziggy is back,then TK,soon Gonch.. The problem is with Sarge,that he will need a month to get into form,and by then very soon there will be playoffs.. I hope that wont be problem..

We were #2 in the standings a few weeks ago without Sarge and Whitney. I don't think their injuries are why we've slipped. We've shown we can win without them. Something stems deeper with this team from them shutting down when they have leads (we could have 12 points more now if we didn't blow several games weeks back).

Yeah,i know.. without Sarge and Whit. we were 2nd,but then happened TK,Gill,Ziggy...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:55 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:

Yeah,i know.. without Sarge and Whit. we were 2nd,but then happened TK,Gill,Ziggy...

And Fleury...

I get that, but I don't get why this team stops competing when they have the lead after 2 periods. Even Bourque has mentioned it on the after-game that these guys have to play 60 minutes and not 40.

It happened to the Rangers last night after they had a 4-0 lead. I'm not sure if this is something going on NHL wide but I've seen it more times this year than any other.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stan Potash on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:14 pm

i still like the pens. i don't think they're a bad team. merry holiday everyone.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:14 am

Idoit40fans wrote:The Penguins will love having John Tavares next year. Hopefully he knows to start getting work in on wing.

Genius. I'm all for it. We can't win the cup with only one quality forward on the team (Malkin. Yes, I'm so unhappy with Sidney at the moment, I'm skipping him.). I say tank the season and get another gem in our system.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:19 am

Idoit40fans wrote:

You know, I've been enjoying watching Philly games lately much more than the Pens. I think Philly's D is much improved with the additions of Isbitsy (sp?), Carle, and Vaananen. This is not the same pathetic D they had last year. With the first two and Coburn, they have 3 young, talented, defensemen. Add Timo and 2 others for depth and they're actually not so bad there...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:31 am

Sarcastic wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

You know, I've been enjoying watching Philly games lately much more than the Pens. I think Philly's D is much improved with the additions of Isbitsy (sp?), Carle, and Vaananen. This is not the same pathetic D they had last year. With the first two and Coburn, they have 3 young, talented, defensemen. Add Timo and 2 others for depth and they're actually not so bad there...

Sbisa is the name of that other defenseman.

Philly is an excellent team this year. I think their special teams are playing great. They have great offensive depth. Biron hasn't played all that well but that team is definitely good enough to win the Eastern Conference.

I think they're much better this year than last year from what I've seen. Plus, Briere hasn't been playing either and they still have 3 lines that can score.

Philly and Boston are the two best teams in the East right now IMO.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:36 am

Plus, if Philly can dump some cap space, Spector and others believe they will make a play for Bouwmeester too.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:38 am

Philly might be able to do something this year, but they are utterly screwed when they don't have 5 people injured on LTIR, and don't get that cap relief. I look at their numbers and don't understand it now as it is.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:43 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:Philly and Boston are the two best teams in the East right now IMO.

I know nothing of Boston, since I don't think I've watched a full game all season (pity me), but I am AMAZED at their statistics. What happened? Why are they doing so much better than we are!? 77 goals against? 126 for? What the hell!?!?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:45 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Philly might be able to do something this year, but they are utterly screwed when they don't have 5 people injured on LTIR, and don't get that cap relief. I look at their numbers and don't understand it now as it is.

Wouldn't it be nice if they could get rid of Danny somehow. Ha!
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:46 am

Sarcastic wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:Philly and Boston are the two best teams in the East right now IMO.

I know nothing of Boston, since I don't think I've watched a full game all season (pity me), but I am AMAZED at their statistics. What happened? Why are they doing so much better than we are!? 77 goals against? 126 for? What the hell!?!?

They're getting great goaltending from Thomas now. Their transition game on defense is very good. Chara is playing phenomenal on both ends. Their forwards attack on both ends of the ice. They are always attacking.

Both Philly and Boston just look like hungry teams.

I love watching Center Ice every night. Hockey is life.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:51 am

Sarcastic wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Philly might be able to do something this year, but they are utterly screwed when they don't have 5 people injured on LTIR, and don't get that cap relief. I look at their numbers and don't understand it now as it is.

Wouldn't it be nice if they could get rid of Danny somehow. Ha!

I'm sure they'd love to do that. $6.5m cap hit until 12/13. I'm not sure who'd want to take that hit (maybe someone that DESPERATELY needs a C) like Atlanta/Columbus.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:57 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Their forwards attack on both ends of the ice. They are always attacking.

Both Philly and Boston just look like hungry teams.

That's what I see from the Flyers. They kind of look like the Red Wings in a way in that they attack the net... all of them. Shoot the puck at the net, get a dirty rebound, fight for the puck. They activate their d-men to join in on the attack - now possible with the additions of Isbisa and Carle (I wish Pens would do that with Gonchar, Whitney, Gogo, and Letang - but I guess that's where coaching comes in.....). Defensively, they sometimes put 3 guys across the line and good luck getting through that. They're also big and strong at forward and I think we saw that when we got pushed around a few weeks back.

Pens, on the other hand, two soft, over the hill, wingers. Two 3rd liners playing the other side (of Crosby and Malkin). No size or physical play except for Malkin and Cooke. I mean. Wow. Our forwards suck. Great job, Shero... really. No, really.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:58 am

Actually, since Stastny is out indefinitely (likely the season) with a broken arm, and Sakic is out as well (and his game is not the same anymore), Colorado really needs a center right now as well.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:09 am

Sarcastic wrote:
That's what I see from the Flyers. They kind of look like the Red Wings in a way in that they attack the net... all of them. Shoot the puck at the net, get a dirty rebound, fight for the puck. They activate their d-men to join in on the attack - now possible with the additions of Isbisa and Carle (I wish Pens would do that with Gonchar, Whitney, Gogo, and Letang - but I guess that's where coaching comes in.....). Defensively, they sometimes put 3 guys across the line and good luck getting through that. They're also big and strong at forward and I think we saw that when we got pushed around a few weeks back.

Pens, on the other hand, two soft, over the hill, wingers. Two 3rd liners playing the other side (of Crosby and Malkin). No size or physical play except for Malkin and Cooke. I mean. Wow. Our forwards suck. Great job, Shero... really. No, really.

Philly has gotten some luck with trades as well. They stole Carle and Coburn. Their core forwards are young: Richards, Carter, Gagne, Fartsmell, Lupul, and Upshall. Knuble keeps scoring goals (the guy just goes to the net).

They got lucky in the 03' draft (I believe that was the one) where they took Richards/Carter in the first and second round.

It's not like we don't have core talent: Sid, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, Whitney, Gogo, Letang, Sarge (when he comes back).

The Flyers are solid all around regarding their forwards. We're strong down the middle and weak on the wings. I think this is going to be our downfall if it isn't addressed. Satan is a ghost and the person I believe who is most responsible for Sid's weak play (due to his non-factor on any part of playing offense causing teams to collapse on Sid). Sid might as well be playing forward by himself out there.

The game plan against the Pens is simple but not easy. Shut down Sid/Malkin. If you do this, the Pens don't score. Collapse everyone on the middle of the ice and trap that area. Malkin is in a league of his own right now. He's very much like Mario in that no matter how much you concentrate on him, it's hard to stop him.

This is why I believe, at least with the makeup with this team, Cooke should be playing on Sid's line. He can create room for Sid. Talbot/Dupuis/Satan (especially Satan) aren't getting it done.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:29 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:Philly has gotten some luck with trades as well. They stole Carle and Coburn. Their core forwards are young: Richards, Carter, Gagne, Fartsmell, Lupul, and Upshall. Knuble keeps scoring goals (the guy just goes to the net).

They got lucky in the 03' draft (I believe that was the one) where they took Richards/Carter in the first and second round.

It's not like we don't have core talent: Sid, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, Whitney, Gogo, Letang, Sarge (when he comes back).

The Flyers are solid all around regarding their forwards. We're strong down the middle and weak on the wings. I think this is going to be our downfall if it isn't addressed. Satan is a ghost and the person I believe who is most responsible for Sid's weak play (due to his non-factor on any part of playing offense causing teams to collapse on Sid). Sid might as well be playing forward by himself out there.

The game plan against the Pens is simple but not easy. Shut down Sid/Malkin. If you do this, the Pens don't score. Collapse everyone on the middle of the ice and trap that area. Malkin is in a league of his own right now. He's very much like Mario in that no matter how much you concentrate on him, it's hard to stop him.

This is why I believe, at least with the makeup with this team, Cooke should be playing on Sid's line. He can create room for Sid. Talbot/Dupuis/Satan (especially Satan) aren't getting it done.

What scares me is that Philly now seems to be good on defense as well with the 3 young guys and Timo. We can still hope their goalie screws up, I guess. Or that their forwards come down to earth at some point (which is a pretty good possibility). I mean... Carter... best goal scorer in the league? I'm waiting and waiting for him to stop scoring, but he is looking like a monster out there.

I hope Shero has learned a good lesson here. Don't trade for a big name player without making sure he'll sign a new contract. Although we didn't give up individual quality, collectively we gave a nice package (for Hossa). We need to trade again, but who do we trade now? Letang or GoGo? Seems to me it'd be smarter to let go of this season and sign a quality FA next summer. I mean, sorry, but Shero did make a mess here.

Anyway, we do have talent, but there is only so much we can do with 2 scorers at forward. We need skill, size, and grit.

I am very happy with our D, as a group. Once Gonchar and Gill come back, we're good there.

I think Staal has to be traded and it has to be a smart, decisive, trade.

I also think it's time for Shero to do some "stealing" himself. If the other guy can do it...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:56 am

why are we such a baad team all of sudden? Because we lost Hossa and Malone? o common,its diff,but not that big... Team is having a crisis,and will get over it sooner or later. one good series of 3wins will be right cure for it too. and injuries injuries are killing us this year,again and again.. We have a such a talented team,that will show soon again that can play high quality of hockey as we want ant they want.
And why in hell do you guys expect from Sykie and Satan to be great 2-way players? they never were and never will be,soo.. They are here to score goals and they doing a good job. I like Sykie more as of those two,i hope we re-sign him
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins