Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby mumbobob on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:15 am

For all of the talent the Penguins have, someone needs to just start shooting the puck when they get in scoring position. 15 shots against a team like Tampa? And we have 2 "all-world" centers that are generally considered the best in the game? That's a disgrace. Watching a player of Malkin's caliber leave a drop pass on a breakaway is un-be-freaking-leavable. That's a terrible play in any form of hockey. No one wanted to shoot tonight, but Malkin and Crosby especially are to blame. Like my old coach told me, "If you're in the slot at the dots or lower, you shoot the #@$$%#@ puck unless you make a tape-to-tape pass to a shooter. Otherwise, don't come back to the bench."

/rant
mumbobob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:25 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC, Australia

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:18 am

I'm not pinning that drop pass on Malkin. I would have preferred for him to shoot, but he made what he thought was the better play. And if Crosby would have scored that, nobody would have been complaining or whining about that drop pass.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,610
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: This aggression will not stand, man

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby lifetimefan on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:21 am

Maybe someone should tell Malkin that Ov has 100 shots more than he does!
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:49 pm

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Durbano on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:21 am

I think one of the reasons they're not shooting more often is that there's rarely anyone in front of the net. The dump-and-don't-chase system isn't helping generate shots, either. Seems we, er, they don't possess the puck in the offensive zone all that much.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby The Current One on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:22 am

Exactly. Ovechkin had 13 freaking shots tonight. 13!!!!! Oh, and by the way, two of those shots went in. Call him a puck-hog or cherry-picker, but at least you know that, when he gets the puck, he has one thing on his mind, and that's scoring goals. I'm tired of this crap, and I'm tired of watching a bunch of soft, disinterested pansies skate around and not get their noses dirty. Shero blew it big time this summer by getting hosed by Hossa, and then had no options other than those bums Satan and Fedotenko.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:41 pm

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Kicksave on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:28 am

thats wolf talk.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Fast B on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:33 am

The Current One wrote:Exactly. Ovechkin had 13 freaking shots tonight. 13!!!!! Oh, and by the way, two of those shots went in. Call him a puck-hog or cherry-picker, but at least you know that, when he gets the puck, he has one thing on his mind, and that's scoring goals. I'm tired of this crap, and I'm tired of watching a bunch of soft, disinterested pansies skate around and not get their noses dirty. Shero blew it big time this summer by getting hosed by Hossa, and then had no options other than those bums Satan and Fedotenko.


What? Hossa screwing the Pens constitutes Shero "blowing it"? Okay then.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,848
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:26 am

yeah, Shero didn't blow it.

Hossa left.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,439
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:35 am

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby bhaw on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:30 am

Fast B wrote:
The Current One wrote:Exactly. Ovechkin had 13 freaking shots tonight. 13!!!!! Oh, and by the way, two of those shots went in. Call him a puck-hog or cherry-picker, but at least you know that, when he gets the puck, he has one thing on his mind, and that's scoring goals. I'm tired of this crap, and I'm tired of watching a bunch of soft, disinterested pansies skate around and not get their noses dirty. Shero blew it big time this summer by getting hosed by Hossa, and then had no options other than those bums Satan and Fedotenko.


What? Hossa screwing the Pens constitutes Shero "blowing it"? Okay then.


Agreed... that statement kind of contradicts itself. I guess we could have offered him $100 billion to stay.

*cue Dr Evil
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby knives of ice on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:21 am

Crosby having 0 shots on net can never happen. seriously, thats just pathetic. the entire team's performance was pathetic.... but sid have zero shots?
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,757
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Senka on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:17 am

at some points of that game, yes.... they shouldve shot. but its "SHOOT THE PUCK" when i hear it at games that just P*ss me off! like people have no idea, and just yell every chance they get. Id rather have 5 well planned, goalie moving side-to-side shots, than 10 throws on net from terrible angles... so its okay to complain about on the boards but please for you fans and "fans" out there -- they get paid millions, and as a hockey player, you know not to "SHOOT" when there are 4 people awaiting your shot and trying to block it.

on the other hand, its not technically the best idea to just throw them on net if they are in the same position you are for a rebound. on rushes, absolutely. but not always. So ill say it again id rather have good shots than a lot of shots.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:16 pm
Location: RVA

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:19 am

I'd rather have more shots, regardless.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,677
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby penny lane on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:05 am

When the pens had their streak going in November, call me silly, but they registered more shots on goal their opponents for almost every win.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,536
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ready

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Keith on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:15 am

The Pens got a total of 3 shots on goal in the 3rd period last night. Your team is trailing and all you can muster is 3 shots on goal in the final period. In fact, their 1st shot on goal in the 3rd period was Malkin's breakaway 11 minutes in.

It shows you how pathetic the media thinks the effort was last night by the Pens. Mike Smith picked up a shutout and wasn't even one of the 3 stars of the game.
Keith
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: North Fayette

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby holeinone on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:27 am

There were other options this past summer. Blake Wheeler was out there to be had by anyone. A former first round pick who did not want to sign with the team who drafted him I had always heard that players want to come to pittsburgh to play because of Sid and Geno. The only one who was worth anything in that concept was Petr Sykora and that is stretching it. Who else came here on that premise Satan good grief charlie brown
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,155
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:30 pm

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Number Nine on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:52 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I'd rather have more shots, regardless.


Were you sitting in my section last night?

I honestly have troubling going to games anymore because I can't stand the things that come out of "fans" mouths at games.
Number Nine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Bathgate on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:59 pm

It’s getting to the point that I don’t feel uncomfortable suggesting the following: Sid’s always-look-to-pass-and-seldom-shoot mentality is SELFISH. Yes, that’s right, SELFISH, but in the opposite sense of the way a hockey player might usually be considered selfish. Rather than being a goal hog, it appears he’s most interested in accumulating dazzling assists to regain or uphold his reputation as the best passer. It’s obvious he cares a lot more about great setups than goals. I’m sure he wants to win, but his pride may be dragging the team down so that nobody shoots often enough. He’s the captain and still viewed by many as the best player, so he has to lead by example on the ice. If his play becomes inefficient, and it surely has, then the play of the whole team becomes confused. He’s too big to sit him out, but maybe the team’s play would come together if he were injured for a spell. Look at how well they did last year when Malkin was THE guy.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby pfim on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:00 pm

I think "hit the net" is the better rallying cry.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:34 pm

Bathgate wrote:It’s getting to the point that I don’t feel uncomfortable suggesting the following: Sid’s always-look-to-pass-and-seldom-shoot mentality is SELFISH. Yes, that’s right, SELFISH, but in the opposite sense of the way a hockey player might usually be considered selfish. Rather than being a goal hog, it appears he’s most interested in accumulating dazzling assists to regain or uphold his reputation as the best passer. It’s obvious he cares a lot more about great setups than goals. I’m sure he wants to win, but his pride may be dragging the team down so that nobody shoots often enough. He’s the captain and still viewed by many as the best player, so he has to lead by example on the ice. If his play becomes inefficient, and it surely has, then the play of the whole team becomes confused. He’s too big to sit him out, but maybe the team’s play would come together if he were injured for a spell. Look at how well they did last year when Malkin was THE guy.


Wow :shock:

No way......

I really hope you're not suggesting that 87 get hurt or be benched or something along those lines. Fact of the matter is...Malkin has been the best player, but Crosby is still 2nd in the NHL in points. I don't care how bad/good we are doing, you CANNOT, CANNOT take Sid out of the game. He is still one of the game's best...you let him shake off the funk he is in.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,610
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: This aggression will not stand, man

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby helmespc on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:39 pm

Were you sitting in my section last night?

I honestly have troubling going to games anymore because I can't stand the things that come out of "fans" mouths at games.


Really?
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,438
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:48 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:43 pm

Number Nine wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I'd rather have more shots, regardless.


Were you sitting in my section last night?

I honestly have troubling going to games anymore because I can't stand the things that come out of "fans" mouths at games.


Image
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,677
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby penny lane on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:02 pm

Bathgate wrote:It’s getting to the point that I don’t feel uncomfortable suggesting the following: Sid’s always-look-to-pass-and-seldom-shoot mentality is SELFISH. Yes, that’s right, SELFISH, but in the opposite sense of the way a hockey player might usually be considered selfish. Rather than being a goal hog, it appears he’s most interested in accumulating dazzling assists to regain or uphold his reputation as the best passer. It’s obvious he cares a lot more about great setups than goals. I’m sure he wants to win, but his pride may be dragging the team down so that nobody shoots often enough. He’s the captain and still viewed by many as the best player, so he has to lead by example on the ice. If his play becomes inefficient, and it surely has, then the play of the whole team becomes confused. He’s too big to sit him out, but maybe the team’s play would come together if he were injured for a spell. Look at how well they did last year when Malkin was THE guy.


:evil:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,536
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ready

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Azkar on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Last 10 games (4-6)

Tampa bay - 15 to 29 L
@Buffalo - 22 to 35
Toronto - 23 to 40 L
@Atlanta - 20 to 31
@Philly - 26 to 27 L
Islanders - 26 to 38
@NJ - 27 to 32 L
Buffalo - 29 to 32 L
@Ottawa - 19 to 31 L
@Carolina - 22 to 36

we win 75% of the games that we out shoot our opponents (2nd in the league), and lose 42% of the time we are out shot by our opponents, we are also 29th in the NHL in shots per game.


The numbers don't lie, we need to shoot more.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,425
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: PFISEA

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:34 pm

lifetimefan wrote:Maybe someone should tell Malkin that Ov has 100 shots more than he does!

And Malkin has 12 more points.

Advantage: Malkin.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,949
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: The 412

Re: Shoot the @#!$#%$#@!%#$@!% puck

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:35 pm

purelebo84 wrote:
lifetimefan wrote:Maybe someone should tell Malkin that Ov has 100 shots more than he does!

And Malkin has 12 more points.

Advantage: Malkin.


45 points in 35 games > 40 points in 34 games

Advantage Ovechkin
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,677
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Scate and 14 guests


e-mail