Too much turnover

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Too much turnover

Postby Kharlamov on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:08 am

this team has suffered too much turnover... not in the sense of turning the puck over (except geno against the leafs), not in the sense of apple turnover or cherry turnover... but in the sense of personnel turnover. the pens give me the sense of a team without chemistry; still a team with good players, enough to get by.

have you ever worked somewhere where you had a good crew of people, everyone knew what to expect, how to get the job done correctly and efficiently and had all the parts needed to do it...then some leave and others follow after some time.. and you're still there doing the work with new faces, but something is missing; you miss the good old days...things just aren't the same.

this same situation presents itself when a group of guys are close and one starts dating a b----- girlfriend; group chemistry is ruined because you can't fart around her, etc. you know the story. things just aren't the same.

we are witnessing the our GM's theory of keeping the core unit together and filling in missing pieces. while it does seem to make sense from a cap/economic perspective; i think it doesn't take into account the team cohesiveness effect. just having star players isn't going to consistently 'work'. you need a team.

The natural consequence of just filling in missing pieces with guys like fedotenko, satan, etc. is probably not going to produce a great team every season, but I guess it's good enough to get by. heck, you have to do the best you can in a cap world.

I will look back in future years as always desiring this close knit team thing...it only comes along once in awhile in the cap era, so you must cherish it. wasn't last season great?
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Too much turnover

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:28 am

Remember last season when people though we weren't even going to make the playoffs?
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:35 am

It's not "Too much turnover."

There are just "Too many excuses." And it seems the players are starting to buy into them too much.

-Turnover
-Hossa "screwed" them
-No wingers
-Injuries
-Stanley Cup "hangover"
-Games in Europe
-More injuries
-Aren't getting calls from the refs
-Unfavorable schedule
-Even more injuries

There are too many excuses out there for the players and even if they believe in just one of them just a little bit, it will kill their intensity a little.

Time to stop making excuses and just play the damn game, who cares what your position in the conference is right now. That is actually what I am proposing as the new team motto: "Just play the damn game!" Someone should make a shirt and sell it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:41 am

They aren't playing disciplined hockey. Players are blowing assignments, players aren't back checking hard, players aren't finishing checks, and players aren't working the boards hard enough.

The Pens thrived off the boards last year. This year, not so much.

Satan is a floater, and regardless of the goals he's put up, I think he needs to be gone by the trade deadline.

I should do a count each game of how many times Satan skates up to a player on the boards with the puck and then backs off. I don't care that he's not a good hitter, it's no excuse not to play the body. Put some pressure on the defense instead of just yielding the puck to them.

Sykora's not exactly the toughest guy in the game, but I see him being much more aggressive along the boards that Satan avoids like the plague.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:00 am

Let me get this straight. You choose to make a thread about the penguins turning over too much personnel after the Lightning beat them?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penscup on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:27 am

The Pens had loads of chances to score tonight and didn't convert them. Everyone is just looking for something to blame instead of accepting this happens in the course of an 82 game season. Is it Satan's fault that Malkin didn't score on either of his 2 prime breakaway chances this game? Of course not. But knee-jerk reaction fans will see it that way. It's nobody's fault except Malkin's. Are we going to trade him because he let us down tonight? Of course not. He's an amazing player that will come out next game and give it his all once again. People need to just sit back and relax and enjoy the ups and downs of the regular season. Save your hissy fits for the playoffs when it really matters.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:38 am

iEUX wrote:
Kharlamov wrote:this same situation presents itself when a group of guys are close and one starts dating a b----- girlfriend; group chemistry is ruined because you can't fart around her, etc. you know the story. things just aren't the same.

LOL WUT?

hahahahahaa.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ru10tu10 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:26 am

iEUX wrote:
Kharlamov wrote:this same situation presents itself when a group of guys are close and one starts dating a b----- girlfriend; group chemistry is ruined because you can't fart around her, etc. you know the story. things just aren't the same.

LOL WUT?

I know a guy who says that he has never farted around his wife. Married long time.
ru10tu10
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby helmespc on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:58 am

The thing that really eats me is the fact that the team has genuine talent and is capable of winning. At least in 2003, there was absolutely no talent... I can deal with that style of losing.... this team is absolutely frustrating to watch. Meh.... I need to sleep this one off....
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:34 am

Playoffs Did some mention PLAYOFFS
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins