Why does it seem the Pens year after year

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Why does it seem the Pens year after year

Postby MarioLives on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:58 am

have problems with their work ethic? Besides last year it seems like we discuss this each year. As much as I hate the Capitals, if you watch them play, they work their tails off each night. Which is why they beat the teams at home, and play everyone hard. I can take lack of talent, but it is hard to take lack of effort. I was not at the game last night, but did the fans get on the players at all?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Why does it seem the Pens year after year

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:13 am

nope, the fans only got on the ref for not calling the penalty on Smith for hooking/slashing/spearing Gino right in front of the ref. I swear that was the only time the fans really got into it. after that there was a Lets Go Pens chant, but the fans were oddly quiet for the last game before xmas.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby manicmonday18 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:43 am

pensfan20 wrote:nope, the fans only got on the ref for not calling the penalty on Smith for hooking/slashing/spearing Gino right in front of the ref. I swear that was the only time the fans really got into it. after that there was a Lets Go Pens chant, but the fans were oddly quiet for the last game before xmas.

We were oddly quiet because most of us were still sound asleep in our seats after the sleeper on Saturday (or was it Tuesday?) I dunno these unacceptable home losses are being confused in my mind...
manicmonday18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby C4 Row E on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:46 am

They made Mike Smith look like Patrick Roy, no wonder the building was quiet.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sleestak on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:57 am

C4 Row E wrote:They made Mike Smith look like Patrick Roy, no wonder the building was quiet.

With my triumphant return to posting I will backup this statement. (What can I say I'm addicted to negativity.)

Anyway... anytime a team with 5 of, arguably but not by a huge stretch, the top 40 forwards in the league can't score on one of the bottom feeders BACKUP goalie you have every reason to be quiet at the game.
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:07 pm

pens spending too much time in their own zone, leads to hurried passing, turnovers, and no energy when they make it to their zone. Cycling the puck usually forces opponents into taking penalties.
Pens aren't doing enough to go on their power play.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Sleestak wrote:
C4 Row E wrote:They made Mike Smith look like Patrick Roy, no wonder the building was quiet.

With my triumphant return to posting I will backup this statement. (What can I say I'm addicted to negativity.)

Anyway... anytime a team with 5 of, arguably but not by a huge stretch, the top 40 forwards in the league can't score on one of the bottom feeders BACKUP goalie you have every reason to be quiet at the game.

Mike Smith isn't a backup. He is a LEGIT starting goaltender.

The kid has a nasty skill set for a goalie. His numbers are beyond impressive, just imagine what he could do with a legitimate defense that has hung him out to dry all season (except last night of course).
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:19 pm

MarioLives wrote:have problems with their work ethic? Besides last year...

Went through it last year too.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby muffinarm on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:28 pm

I cannot remember a time when the Penguins had consistent work ethic, except for the two years under Scotty Bowman in 92 and 93. And look what Lemieux and Co. did to him - make me accountable and work? Gone. So in came Grandpa Munster, er, Eddie (country club) Johnston. I guess you could say Kevin Constantine make them work hard in 97 and 98, but of course he got canned like four games into the 99 campaign. Comparitively, MT is actually halfway decent. Just think of Gene Ubriaco, Craig Patrick (shutter), Eddie O and Kehoe. Boy, they have had some true winners there. Pens pretty much getting what they deserve this year in my mind.
muffinarm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins