Calm down; the Penguins will be fine.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Calm down; the Penguins will be fine.

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:00 pm

I'm a bit angry too with the way the Pens have been playing the last three weeks or so. However, it's an 82 game campaign, and the Penguins still have 48 games, well over half the season, to pull things together and get going. A month ago, we all thought we were big-time Cup contenders, but since we've had this little slide, a lot of people are getting pretty down.

The team is not playing well, no, and they don't have that much forward depth. But remember, this will not be our playoff roster. In RS we must trust, and he will pull through, as will the team. Not to mention a lot of players have been hurt and are just getting their legs back under them now, and there are more players (key guys like Gonchar, Kennedy, Zigomanis) who will be back in due time.

Last year, the Penguins had a funk like this around November-December, but they pulled out of it and made some moves to put them over the top and catapult to the Stanley Cup Finals.

I'm ticked too, but this talk that the Penguins will miss the playoffs, and that they can't compete with a team like Philly or the Rangers in a seven game series is kind of asinine. Remember, the Rags won't have shootouts to save them once the playoffs begin, and when the Pens play the Flyers, Bruins, or Habs, we've seen that it is really any given day.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanzaa, and Go Pens.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Calm down; the Penguins will be fine.

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:05 pm

true
here to hoping Shero gets it done
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby muffinarm on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Nice to read your optimism - wish I could jump on that bandwagon. I do agree that hockey has such a long season and there is time to pull it together, but I just haven't seen much this year that shows Pittsburgh is a good team. It does help to be in the average Eastern Conference, but even when the Pens were winning, they showed no real killer instinct to put teams away. But, I am hoping you are right.
muffinarm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Your optimism is a joke. The Penguins have the worst kind of Stanley Cup Hangover, they didn't even win it. The season is over, pack up and play for Tavares.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Das boot on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:27 pm

The only thing that concerns me is that they arent working and therriens comments of them complaining to each other but i do believe they will be fine.
Das boot
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:03 pm

We need some good juju going for the next game.

Here's mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGDEK2qW ... re=related

Let's get back to that mentality.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby SaijinSatch on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:37 pm

SaijinSatch
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:59 pm

SaijinSatch wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ntbfVQvHt8

thank you!
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby neophool on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:48 pm

yea everyone needs to calm down.

i'm seeing threads talking about Trading Sid, stripping his C, how Tyler Kennedy is the heart and soul of this team, and other slightly insane topics.

for the love of Pete, everyone CLAM DOWN!!!!!!111!!11one
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:52 pm

Really when do you panic? 41 games? 50 games? 78 games? The first half of a season is plenty of time to pull a team together and get a solid hard working 60 min performance out of them injuries or not and winning or not. Just because there are injuries and the team isn't playing well in terms of putting a string of wins together is not an excuse for lack of effort/caring.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby neophool on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:01 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Really when do you panic? 41 games? 50 games? 78 games? The first half of a season is plenty of time to pull a team together and get a solid hard working 60 min performance out of them injuries or not and winning or not. Just because there are injuries and the team isn't playing well in terms of putting a string of wins together is not an excuse for lack of effort/caring.

well why don't u come out of retirement, drop your GM duties and come play on Sid's Wing? i remember you being a pretty decent forward!!!!
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:04 pm

neophool wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Really when do you panic? 41 games? 50 games? 78 games? The first half of a season is plenty of time to pull a team together and get a solid hard working 60 min performance out of them injuries or not and winning or not. Just because there are injuries and the team isn't playing well in terms of putting a string of wins together is not an excuse for lack of effort/caring.

well why don't u come out of retirement, drop your GM duties and come play on Sid's Wing? i remember you being a pretty decent forward!!!!

I already skated Malkin over the ocean. I can't do everything. :P
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby neophool on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:06 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
neophool wrote:

I already skated Malkin over the ocean. I can't do everything. :P

d'oh!
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:11 pm

neophool wrote:

I'm waiting for the KHL to fold or have a breach of contract due to the 30% salary decrease so #68 can come back and play on Sid's wing and made amends/retire right as a Penguin.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby neophool on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:23 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
neophool wrote:

I'm waiting for the KHL to fold or have a breach of contract due to the 30% salary decrease so #68 can come back and play on Sid's wing and made amends/retire right as a Penguin.

man it really would be great to see 68 back in the black and gold.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:54 pm

It's been a frustrating month, but the Pens showed flashes of being a great team this fall so all hope is definitely not lost. Here's hoping they will wake up after the holidays. I have hope that things will get better. In the meantime, smile because it's still a great day for hockey, because hockey rules, and Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating it. :)
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:36 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:so for everyone that cried "its early, its too soon, blah blah blah, its only october, its only november" and nothing has changed by the end of december...when do we hit the second stage? or is it always too soon until the pens are watching the out-of-town scoreboard trying to desperately force, or desperately avoid OT all night in april?

Don't worry. Everything with the Pens will be fine. It's early yet. Don't worry about blowing games. Remember last year.
:lol:
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins