Gaborik will be scratched

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Gaborik will be scratched

Postby kingpuck on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:11 pm

.....for the next two games after the Christmas break. Some will say it is his injury, others are speculating that Risebrough is actively trying to trade him.

I for one, am not a big fan on bringing him in soley on him potential contract demands and more importantly his trips to the IR. BUT I do truly believe that Shero's plan of action to improve this team on the wings has been drastically moved up based on recent play, where we sit in the standings, and most importantly...HOW the other teams in front of us are playing.

We did send Wallace and Taffe down, and though that;s not our cap answer, it does bode well for potential bodies being moved out or moved in.

If we don't get into the Gabork action( Again I hope we do not), him moving, may free up other players to move as well, aka the domino effect.

My suggestion.....and no I'm not a GM(though MR Shero may need to watch his back soon).

1.Sign Shannahan and play him on the 4th or sometimes 3rd line, while making him a staple in front of the net on the PP. Let him know he is there to be our Teemu Sellane garbage goal getter in front of the net. See what he says. If his 5 on 5 play is minimal, than his rusty wheels are not that big of a concern. Plus it sounds like we may NEED that locker room guy again. aka Gary Roberts

2. Satan may have good numbers , but he is not a game breaker, or a factor on the boards at all. When the playoffs come, he will be even less of a factor. I would see if Edmonton would consider Cole for Satan trade. Cole has been terrible this year but I would still like to see him get a shot on Sid's wing. Salaries are a wash and they are both UFA's at seasons end.

3. Lastly, here comes the criticism, BUT Staal has to go. people need to realize he is a luxury that we just can't afford right now. If all things were the same and we had Jeffrey and Caputi developed and ready to go....then there is no way we trade him. But they are NOT and we need to trade strength to get strength back. Period. If the Panthers would consider a package of Staal + for Horton +....I would do it. Horton is right handed and can work the corners "similar" to Hossa.
With that note, with Gonchar possibly back in 3 weeks. Gonch, Whit, Letang, Goligoski, and Boucher is another LUXURY we do not need. Teams are desperate for offensive D-men. Just look at the stupid amounts of money one dimensional journeyman defensman get.
A Gologoski or a Letang for a guy like Cheechoo would work fine. And for those that think thats crazy....Cheechoo is a 3rd liner this year folks because of Setoguchi and Clowe, and SJ isn't trading those guys.

There are a lot of other wingers out there that make sense as well, but the emphasis is on giving to get. Not all GM's have "special needs". Their object is to get something good back that potentially "wins" them the deal too.

And before anyone prints it....just say no to "vermette" from Ottowa for one of our D-men. The object is for us NOT to get softer. :)
kingpuck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Gaborik will be scratched

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Hmmm...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:37 pm

I don't think Gaborik is being traded "right" now. There are reports of Risebrough sitting him because he complained of his groin being sore again.

On the other hand, after the Rangers lost out on Sundin, I wouldn't put anything past them on making some news to acquire a forward.

I wouldn't trade Gogo or Letang for Cheechoo (because of his injury problems - he's moderate to high reward/high risk).

For the LW:
I'd be looking at Booth, Cammalleri, Whitney (on the more feasible side), Doan (on the harder to get guy), and Kovalchuk (on the most expensive to get guy)

For the RW: (only if they can move Satan)

I'd be looking at Antropov or moving Kennedy up to the #1 line.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:40 pm

I just want to see Antropov. If Shero can pull off an Antropov-like player and add 1-2 players that are gritty and physical, at the trade deadline...I like what this team can potentially do during the stretch run and playoffs.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:01 pm

I thought Sarge was coming back in March???
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:02 pm

If the Pens could trade Satan for Cole I'd be ecstatic.

That is if he and Orpik are cool.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:05 pm

kingpuck wrote:.....for the next two games after the Christmas break. Some will say it is his injury, others are speculating that Risebrough is actively trying to trade him.

I for one, am not a big fan on bringing him in soley on him potential contract demands and more importantly his trips to the IR. BUT I do truly believe that Shero's plan of action to improve this team on the wings has been drastically moved up based on recent play, where we sit in the standings, and most importantly...HOW the other teams in front of us are playing.

We did send Wallace and Taffe down, and though that;s not our cap answer, it does bode well for potential bodies being moved out or moved in.

If we don't get into the Gabork action( Again I hope we do not), him moving, may free up other players to move as well, aka the domino effect.

My suggestion.....and no I'm not a GM(though MR Shero may need to watch his back soon).

1.Sign Shannahan and play him on the 4th or sometimes 3rd line, while making him a staple in front of the net on the PP. Let him know he is there to be our Teemu Sellane garbage goal getter in front of the net. See what he says. If his 5 on 5 play is minimal, than his rusty wheels are not that big of a concern. Plus it sounds like we may NEED that locker room guy again. aka Gary Roberts

2. Satan may have good numbers , but he is not a game breaker, or a factor on the boards at all. When the playoffs come, he will be even less of a factor. I would see if Edmonton would consider Cole for Satan trade. Cole has been terrible this year but I would still like to see him get a shot on Sid's wing. Salaries are a wash and they are both UFA's at seasons end.

3. Lastly, here comes the criticism, BUT Staal has to go. people need to realize he is a luxury that we just can't afford right now. If all things were the same and we had Jeffrey and Caputi developed and ready to go....then there is no way we trade him. But they are NOT and we need to trade strength to get strength back. Period. If the Panthers would consider a package of Staal + for Horton +....I would do it. Horton is right handed and can work the corners "similar" to Hossa.
With that note, with Gonchar possibly back in 3 weeks. Gonch, Whit, Letang, Goligoski, and Boucher is another LUXURY we do not need. Teams are desperate for offensive D-men. Just look at the stupid amounts of money one dimensional journeyman defensman get.
A Gologoski or a Letang for a guy like Cheechoo would work fine. And for those that think thats crazy....Cheechoo is a 3rd liner this year folks because of Setoguchi and Clowe, and SJ isn't trading those guys.

There are a lot of other wingers out there that make sense as well, but the emphasis is on giving to get. Not all GM's have "special needs". Their object is to get something good back that potentially "wins" them the deal too.

And before anyone prints it....just say no to "vermette" from Ottowa for one of our D-men. The object is for us NOT to get softer. :)

Gaborik isnt injured again,his groin isnt fit 100% yet and Wild's managment dont wont to lose him again,soo they want to heal the injury.
I would love to see him here,BUT WE CANT AFFORD HIM..

1.Shanny - interesting,for the right price,but he is out of shape and form
2.Cole for Satan - eeh,there wont be any big diff in production if any i think.. Maybe Cole is just a little bit grittier..
3.Staal wont go anywhere.. Horton maybe will came anyway.. We should get rid of Boucher and Eaton as soon as Sarge is back
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:07 pm

Noise wrote:If the Pens could trade Satan for Cole I'd be ecstatic.

That is if he and Orpik are cool.

With the way McTavish has been calling out players and sitting them, I'm sure he'd love Satan.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:01 pm

Gaborik is good, but not a good fit here regardless of his cap hit. We shouldn't be entertaining the idea of any trade unless it is for a rugged lw who can log regular top 6 minutes 5 on 5. We have too many centers and right wingers filling gaps in the lines. Any trade should involve either letang or gogo, and dupuis, as it is too hard to pencil him on any line to get the most out of him. Unless we can unload Satan and have him play rw on the 3rd line.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:54 pm

where is the evidence that Gaborik will be scratched the next two games? i can't find this information anywhere.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:01 pm

knives of ice wrote:where is the evidence that Gaborik will be scratched the next two games? i can't find this information anywhere.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=260828& ... lines_main
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jaysmiter on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:57 pm

Isn't there a holiday roster freeze until after the new year anyway? Or am I wrong on that?
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:00 am

holeinone wrote:Forget about Gaborik You people are out of your bloody minds. overated and wants big bucks You can do without both of those factors

He surely isnt overrated,hell of a player,but we cant afford him.period. We cant let it happen to see another Hossa dissapointment on a rental player. If we could re-sign him okey otherwise no thanks. We can go after a winger in a range of 3-4 mills max
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:59 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:I wouldn't trade Gogo or Letang for Cheechoo (because of his injury problems - he's moderate to high reward/high risk).

For the LW:
I'd be looking at Booth, Cammalleri, Whitney (on the more feasible side), Doan (on the harder to get guy), and Kovalchuk (on the most expensive to get guy)

Cammalleri is awesome, but what why would the Flames trade him? I like the idea of getting Booth or Horton. We'd have to part with a young defensman or Staal for that. Satan for Cole would be a good move but I doubt that it's feasible. Antropov and Doan would be good wingers to play with Sid.

There do seem to be some possibilities for RS but it always seems that when you make these types of deals (out of panic, necessity, injuries) you end up overpaying and get the short end of the stick. The best way to build a team is through the draft. That will never change.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:36 am

bh wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:I wouldn't trade Gogo or Letang for Cheechoo (because of his injury problems - he's moderate to high reward/high risk).

For the LW:

Cammalleri is awesome, but what why would the Flames trade him? I like the idea of getting Booth or Horton. We'd have to part with a young defensman or Staal for that. Satan for Cole would be a good move but I doubt that it's feasible. Antropov and Doan would be good wingers to play with Sid.

There do seem to be some possibilities for RS but it always seems that when you make these types of deals (out of panic, necessity, injuries) you end up overpaying and get the short end of the stick. The best way to build a team is through the draft. That will never change.

I would probably poop and pee myself (too much?) at the same time if Ray Shero found a way to land Shane Doan.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Indyman on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:08 pm

Antropov for Bissonette & Eaton or Boucher
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:13 pm

Indyman wrote:Antropov for Bissonette & Eaton or Boucher

Brian Burke will laugh at that offer.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:27 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:

really hard :D i hope he will wear dry-fast underwear :D
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:56 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

really hard :D i hope he will wear dry-fast underwear :D

You know it's bad when P4L is making fun of your trade offers. :pop:
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:53 pm

Goligoski, Dupuis, and Tampa's 3rd for Gaborik. Book it dano.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DayWalker on Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:11 pm

If you throw in Ronny Paulino, I think you may have yourself a deal.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Yeah, why trade for someone with goal-scoring talent when you can sign the Ghost of Brendan Shanahan? Makes perfect sense to me. No reason why Shero should think of filling the team's biggest hole (goal-scoring winger). That's just silly.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby manicmonday18 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:37 pm

I am not interested in this Gaborik nonsense, but what I am interested in is where the OP pulled Gonchar possibly back in 3 weeks from? Any clues or just highly misinformed from the getgo?
manicmonday18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:40 pm

The Penguins can't afford Gabby for next year and won't be willing to make the best offer for his rental services.
Kovychoo might be a different story (as 1.5 season rental), but I'd say about 3% chance on that one.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:28 pm

Hmm, looking at the cap numbers for next year and assuming they sign Sykora, Fedotenko, Goligoski, Ziggy and Scuderi to reasonable deals, the Pens could be close to pulling off Gaborik being on the books. This would require shipping Staal away to MIN and having Kennedy as a top six. But they could do it if Gaborik would "settle" for < $7.5M.

Kennedy - Crosby - Gaborik
Fedotenko - Geno - Sykora
Cooke - Talbot - Dupuis
?? - Ziggy Stardust - Godard

Gonchar, Whitney, Orpik, Letang, Goligoski, Scuderi and Eaton or Lovejoy
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins