Expectations

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Expectations

Postby pcm on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:41 pm

I think it is safe to assume that every single one of us, and likely everyone inside the Penguins organization, was taking for granted that this team would make the playoffs. Last night popped that bubble.

When you expect things to happen, you don't work for them. You don't earn them. Expectations have a way of unraveling themselves. Last night was absolutely necessary for this team (and it's fans) to come down to earth. It may take a while still to get back in touch with all the things that create a successful team. It may even take a shakeup to drive home the point. But we all felt it. I can't imagine the players and coaches didn't feel it too. The bubble burst. This team is not better than any other until they have proven it on the ice.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Expectations

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:43 pm

I agree with that. But, I am still in the mold that believes this team will make the playoffs. How far they go in the playoffs will depend on the players Shero brings in at around the trade deadline. But I really hope last night's lethargic effort woke the boys up...although I've been expecting them to wake up for a couple of weeks now.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:47 pm

pcm wrote:I think it is safe to assume that every single one of us, and likely everyone inside the Penguins organization, was taking for granted that this team would make the playoffs. Last night popped that bubble.

When you expect things to happen, you don't work for them. You don't earn them. Expectations have a way of unraveling themselves. Last night was absolutely necessary for this team (and it's fans) to come down to earth. It may take a while still to get back in touch with all the things that create a successful team. It may even take a shakeup to drive home the point. But we all felt it. I can't imagine the players and coaches didn't feel it too. The bubble burst. This team is not better than any other until they have proven it on the ice.

Dont worry,man.. We will be in playoffs for sure,we will be complete soon (in a 1 1/2 month probably)and when we are complete ,we are SC team..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:50 pm

I dunno. If all of this is completely true, then how come the Wings haven't faltered like we have?

The wing dings have haphazard goaltending at this point and they're #2 in the west with 50 points. They've added Hossa but that team is expected to compete for the cup every year (and for the most part they do).
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:55 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote: how come the Wings haven't faltered like we have?

You answered that question yourself later in that same post. Because they lost nothing AND got Hossa.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:55 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I dunno. If all of this is completely true, then how come the Wings haven't faltered like we have?

The wing dings have haphazard goaltending at this point and they're #2 in the west with 50 points. They've added Hossa but that team is expected to compete for the cup every year (and for the most part they do).

Because the Wings aren't just learning to deal with expectations of success. That organization has been handling it for 15 straight years. This Pens team is coming off the first season they've won anything (the East) in forever. Now they have to learn how to deal with the expectations that come with that success. In other words, not to take it for granted.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:22 am

We'll be unstopable once we have Kovalchuk, Army, and Gary Roberts at the deadline. 2nd seed, Stanley Cup. Book it. :wink:

Seriously with Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, and our D there is no way this team does not make the playoffs. They can get by with the talent they have, but they have to learn that talent isn't going to get them too far. They have to learn that they have to work hard, every night. They may not get it yet, but I have no doubt that they will soon. Maybe it will take them hitting rock bottom, maybe it'll take a return of an injured player, or maybe it will take a move by shero. Either way something needs to be done. I don't think Christmas with the family will fix this problem.

I still believe that they are a few key additions, a wake-up call, and loads of hardwork away from becoming an incredible team.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins