Keep MT or Fire MT - Vote

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

We've discussed, now vote, Fire or Keep MT

Fire MT
25%
Keep MT
75%

Total votes : 84

Keep MT or Fire MT - Vote

Postby lifetimefan on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:25 pm

My first poll, so I hope this comes out okay. We've discussed, now vote, Fire or Keep MT
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Keep MT or Fire MT - Vote

Postby ivand87 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:44 pm

We're 18-12-4 without our top 2 defensemen. Now with Whitney back we still have Gill and Gonchar out and Letang might miss the next 2 games (he's listed as day to day so I don't know).

The team is still underachieving and getting outworked by lesser teams (Toronto and Tampa), and Crosby's not himself right now in my opinion (he's still producing a lot).

I was really frustrated on Saturday night watching the Pens get slaughtered by the Leafs, and last night was so sickening. But let's not get carried away. We're still in the playoff picture. We're only 5 points behind Philly and only 7 points behind the Rangers with 3 games in hand. The Devils can't possibly continue to win as much as they have without Brodeur. They got shut out 2-0 at home themselves last night, by Boston, but still.

On Christmas Eve last year we were 18-16-2... After a win against Boston. So we were almost just a .500 team. Fleury was excellent in the last 2 games. The only minor critique I would have was the rebound goal he gave up to MacCarthur on a Sabres power play on Monday night. He could have not given up the rebound, but it wasn't a soft goal at all. He was GREAT.

So we got Fleury and Whitney back now, and Letang hopefully will be back this weekend. Gill and TK can't be more than 2 weeks away. Everyone calm down and stop freaking about MT's comments.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:48 pm

MT iz not deh problum.

Deh teem iz soff an dey don't car. Dey complain on deh bench an deh r tryin to be deh wurz defensive skwad en deh leeg.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:55 pm

MT has earned the right to have a speedbump or two during the regular season.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:01 am

purelebo84 wrote:MT iz not deh problum.

Deh teem iz soff an dey don't car. Dey complain on deh bench an deh r tryin to be deh wurz defensive skwad en deh leeg.

Hahahahahahahahaha. +1

This is another benefit to not firing MT :D
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:27 am

Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:36 am

I voted to keep him, but he needs to start taking at least part of the blame for the players not playing. Therrien has never accepted any blame, and when the team isn't capable of putting forth any remotely consistent effort, the coach is at the very least partially to blame.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:09 am

I'm not sure myself anymore. I've always been a supporter of his, and I'll say that he is not any more to blame than Shero, IMO, but there are clearly some things with which I'm not happy about.

But anyway, I found this thread over at HF. Interesting reading. Look at the date, too.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=185041
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:16 am

I voted to fire him. I'm not even saying he 100% deserves it but something has to change in this team. The philosophy needs to change so Viva la Laviolette!

Carolina's loss should be our gain.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocky133213 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:33 am

enough with these stupid threads to fire MT.....please......enough......its getting to the point that i'd alomst (almost) like to see it happen just so these stupid threads will go away...
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby beerman on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:38 am

Rocky133213 wrote:enough with these stupid threads to fire MT.....please......enough......its getting to the point that i'd alomst (almost) like to see it happen just so these stupid threads will go away...

then we'd just have start threads to fire the next coach
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:04 am

All this Fire MT crap is nonesense. I'm glad that 22/27 have voted no so far. At least the majority here have enough sense not to do that.

As someone else mentioned they are a 18-12-4 hockey team without many key players, including their best 2 defensemen. It's a freaking losing streak! You don't fire your coach in this situation. Period.

When our defense, goalttenders, and forwards are at the top of their game, they are easily on of the top 5 teams in the league. At least give the coaching chance and players a chance to right the ship. I like the poll btw, my rant was not directed towards this thread or the original poster.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:07 am

Keep MT. FIRE YEO!
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:40 am

I voted to keep him. But like I said eariler, if this teams continues its tendency to win 1 lose 1, then hes going to get canned.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:16 am

Sarcastic wrote:I'm not sure myself anymore. I've always been a supporter of his, and I'll say that he is not any more to blame than Shero, IMO, but there are clearly some things with which I'm not happy about.

But anyway, I found this thread over at HF. Interesting reading. Look at the date, too.

very interesting. i voted to keep him, no doubt. but here are some quotes from that 2005 thread. all familiar sounding things:

"Therrien looked out of his league once opposing coaches changed tactics or tempo changed. He didn't have the ability to adapt his style because he really knows very little else."

"The impression I had, is that when things didn't go their way, all he could do was tell the players to work harder."

"Michel Therrien is exactly the type of coach who's not the most respected amongst players because he likes to get under the players skin in order to get the max out of them."

"My biggest frustration with Therrien was the fact he didn't customize the teams game plan to the strenghts the team had, which imo, is the sign of a good coach."

"Good motivator, teached the young players (helps when you coach them again at the next level)"

"Will definitely bring some discipline to the team."

"He won as a junior because he got the players to fear him. They played their bones out for the guy. He came to the AHL with Montreal's farm club only to be practically kicked out after one season by the players, who were ready to provoke a mutiny."

"As to having no respect, that's not true either. Therrien didn't have respect from the likes of Joe Juneau and his clique. Juneau despised Therrien, and instead of acting like a veteran, he divided the players between his camp and the other camp. Juneau would go as far as to tell a player he should get more ice-time, or he should do this or that on the ice, instead of do what the coach said. That's why it wasn't going well during the 2nd year."
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:54 am

I voted to keep him.. He isnt the main problem on Pens right now,the players are.. MT proved in last 2 seasons that he is capable of doing great job with Pens,especially with healthy team.. This year we just had too much injuries ,not to show on team result..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:03 am

LeopardLetang wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I'm not sure myself anymore. I've always been a supporter of his, and I'll say that he is not any more to blame than Shero, IMO, but there are clearly some things with which I'm not happy about.

very interesting. i voted to keep him, no doubt. but here are some quotes from that 2005 thread. all familiar sounding things:

"Therrien looked out of his league once opposing coaches changed tactics or tempo changed. He didn't have the ability to adapt his style because he really knows very little else."

"The impression I had, is that when things didn't go their way, all he could do was tell the players to work harder."

"Michel Therrien is exactly the type of coach who's not the most respected amongst players because he likes to get under the players skin in order to get the max out of them."

"My biggest frustration with Therrien was the fact he didn't customize the teams game plan to the strenghts the team had, which imo, is the sign of a good coach."

"Good motivator, teached the young players (helps when you coach them again at the next level)"

"Will definitely bring some discipline to the team."

"He won as a junior because he got the players to fear him. They played their bones out for the guy. He came to the AHL with Montreal's farm club only to be practically kicked out after one season by the players, who were ready to provoke a mutiny."

"As to having no respect, that's not true either. Therrien didn't have respect from the likes of Joe Juneau and his clique. Juneau despised Therrien, and instead of acting like a veteran, he divided the players between his camp and the other camp. Juneau would go as far as to tell a player he should get more ice-time, or he should do this or that on the ice, instead of do what the coach said. That's why it wasn't going well during the 2nd year."

The knocks on MT are always the same regardless of what he does. It's a lot like how the Crosby diving stuff started in Philly and blew up to the point where everyone says it regardless of how Sid plays. That's a lot like MT. Someone started the "MT is not an x and o's coach" and "he is incapable of changing his game plan" critiques and it has been the motto for MT ever since when things aren't going well. The problem is that they are as far from the truth as you can get. Yes, there are things going on that need to be fixed, but all those usual critiques on MT are not what is going on.

He is teaching the x's and o's. It appears the players are either unwilling or unable to work with the system at this point. It's actually interesting because when you look at the three zones on the ice; deffensive, transition, and offensive, most teams have the offensive and defensive zones down but are lacking transition. The Pens are having the most trouble on either side right now, but they are actually ok with the transition game.

If you want MT gone, that's fine. But it makes much more sense to make any coaching move after the season is over. I can't remember a team that has done well over the course of the remainder of the season and the playoffs when the coach was changed mid-season. If you want him gone before the season is done, we're basically sticking a fork in the team and saying, "There's always next year." Coaching changes in the off season can and do work much better. Look at the Sharks and Leafs.

My vote was to keep him, fyi.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:05 am

Pens4Life wrote:I voted to keep him.. He isnt the main problem on Pens right now,the players are.. MT proved in last 2 seasons that he is capable of doing great job with Pens,especially with healthy team.. This year we just had too much injuries ,not to show on team result..

While I agree to keep him, I think what got MT a contract extension was the fact that he got the team playing well despite injuries the last 2 years. The names were different, but we had quite the list last year as well.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby hbkrulez1 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:45 pm

Rocky133213 wrote:enough with these stupid threads to fire MT.....please......enough......its getting to the point that i'd alomst (almost) like to see it happen just so these stupid threads will go away...

i am with you 100%
hbkrulez1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Corvidae on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:31 pm

beerman wrote:

then we'd just have start threads to fire the next coach

The Pens would never fire Barry Melrose.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:40 pm

If inconsistent play continues into January, especially with the Rags, Cryers, and Devils winning, MT could become a scapegoat and get the axe. I voted "no" and stand by that. It's the players' responsibility to turn this around.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins