What kind of winger...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What kind of winger...

Postby Froggy on Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:30 am

What kind of winger would be better with sid? One that puts up good numbers, or one that helps sid put up good numbers? I realize these aren't necissarilly mutually exclusive to eachother, but which tendancy do you guys think would help sid and the team more?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What kind of winger...

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:23 am

One that helps Sid put up good numbers. I've always been an advocate of getting a grinder that can crash the net and cycle, along with scoring some garbage goals. A guy who can create space for Sid is the perfect winger for 87. He DOES NOT need Gaborik, Kovalchuk, etc... Just a big body who can skate, cycle, crash the net, and shoot.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:30 am

Why So Serious? wrote:One that helps Sid put up good numbers. I've always been an advocate of getting a grinder that can crash the net and cycle, along with scoring some garbage goals. A guy who can create space for Sid is the perfect winger for 87. He DOES NOT need Gaborik, Kovalchuk, etc... Just a big body who can skate, cycle, crash the net, and shoot.

I totally agree with ya.. Dont need a sniper,he needs Malone type of player.. Now it shows how bad we miss Ryan,but he was just asking too much money.end of story
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:33 am

Pens4Life wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:One that helps Sid put up good numbers. I've always been an advocate of getting a grinder that can crash the net and cycle, along with scoring some garbage goals. A guy who can create space for Sid is the perfect winger for 87. He DOES NOT need Gaborik, Kovalchuk, etc... Just a big body who can skate, cycle, crash the net, and shoot.

I totally agree with ya.. Dont need a sniper,he needs Malone type of player.. Now it shows how bad we miss Ryan,but he was just asking too much money.end of story

I think we may have the kind of guy I was talking about on our roster right now. His name starts with an M and ends with an Att Cooke.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby superconan on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:48 am

Cooke would be a great short term solution, like he was in Vancouver.

People always say Crosby needs his Kurri, but an Anderson type would be great. Good along the boards, and in front and with speed. Anderson could go full speed and stop on a dime in front of a goalie.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:38 pm

superconan wrote:Cooke would be a great short term solution, like he was in Vancouver.

People always say Crosby needs his Kurri, but an Anderson type would be great. Good along the boards, and in front and with speed. Anderson could go full speed and stop on a dime in front of a goalie.

Anderson who?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Anderson Cooper
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:48 pm

K2 wrote:Anderson Cooper

Who is he? never heard of him.. Where he plays?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joker10277 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:49 pm

Pens4Life wrote:

Don't know if you guys remember but Malone really struggled on sid's line, he didn't start to produce until he was moved to Malkins wing.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:55 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
superconan wrote:Cooke would be a great short term solution, like he was in Vancouver.

Anderson who?

Mr. Anderson

Last edited by Eismann on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby K2 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:55 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
K2 wrote:Anderson Cooper

Who is he? never heard of him.. Where he plays?

He plays for the CNN team :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Cooper
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kicksave on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:55 pm

AHAHAHAHAH

Stealing bandwidth is for LOSERS!

Eismann = Loser.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Firebird on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:02 pm

This team lacks crappy goal scoring.

Almost every goal is flashy or some power move.

I never seem them scoring those retarded accident goals that other teams somehow master.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:47 pm

Firebird wrote:This team lacks crappy goal scoring.

Almost every goal is flashy or some power move.

I never seem them scoring those retarded accident goals that other teams somehow master.

See "Flyers, Philadelphia"
or
"Knuble, Mike"

I totally agree with you. I don't give a crap if it's a garbage goal. It counts just the same
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jaysmiter on Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:21 pm

joker10277 wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:

Don't know if you guys remember but Malone really struggled on sid's line, he didn't start to produce until he was moved to Malkins wing.

People never like to remember that. Malone DID NOT work with Crosby. So, this "we're really missing Malone" crap needs to stop.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Pens4Life wrote:

He doesn't need a Malone type player. We saw what happened the numerous times Malone was tried on his wing. Sid needs a player that can effectively cycle to be most effective, but they have to have more speed than someone like Malone.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:37 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:

He doesn't need a Malone type player. We saw what happened the numerous times Malone was tried on his wing. Sid needs a player that can effectively cycle to be most effective, but they have to have more speed than someone like Malone.

i didnt say that Malone was clicking well with Sid,he played well with Geno.. We need type of Malone player,i meant big body,goes to the net,can cycle..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Pens4Life wrote:i didnt say that Malone was clicking well with Sid,he played well with Geno.. We need type of Malone player,i meant big body,goes to the net,can cycle..

Yes, and I said that type of player is too slow to play with Sid, as we've already seen.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Malone's too slow for Crosby
but someone like him but faster would work
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:08 pm

Pens4Life wrote:

I think you can count on one hand the number of times Malone and Crosby were on the same line last year. Malone was usually with Malkin and Sykora. Crosby had Hossa and Dupuis last year. He still has Dupuis but something is missing...
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby helmespc on Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:35 pm

I think beyond Crosby's line, this team needs quality power forwards...
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bakeman81 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Crosby needs another Crosby-type on his line. Fast, hard-working, and capable of grinding it out in the corners or moving up and down the ice in the transition game. Players that come to mind are Hossa, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk off hand. Getzlaf and Perry play this type of game to an extent as well. The problem is, there's maybe 10-15 of these types in the league who can play at the level necessary to excel with Sid. Malone didn't work because he wasn't capable of skating with Sid, Recchi wasn't good enough along the boards. Hossa fit because he is capable of doing everything that Sid excels at a level that is at least close to Sid's and at times in the playoffs last year, above Sid's.
bakeman81

Postby czwalga on Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:52 pm

This post is going to come off as crosby bashing... however what type of winger has ever played good with sid? He's never made a bad player a decent player? He's never meshed with anyone, hossa is a talent of his own, and really colby never looked good despite what some people say.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Azkar on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Jagr
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby manicmonday18 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:26 pm

one that can take a pass and subsequently turn that pass into a GOAL