What kind of winger...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What kind of winger...

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:52 am

czwalga wrote:This post is going to come off as crosby bashing... however what type of winger has ever played good with sid? He's never made a bad player a decent player? He's never meshed with anyone, hossa is a talent of his own, and really colby never looked good despite what some people say.

Andy hilbert for sure. He made him look much better.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tek Jansen on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:36 am

JoseCuervo wrote:
czwalga wrote:This post is going to come off as crosby bashing... however what type of winger has ever played good with sid? He's never made a bad player a decent player? He's never meshed with anyone, hossa is a talent of his own, and really colby never looked good despite what some people say.

Andy hilbert for sure. He made him look much better.

I think I could make Andy Hilbert look better :p
Tek Jansen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:49 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:One that helps Sid put up good numbers. I've always been an advocate of getting a grinder that can crash the net and cycle, along with scoring some garbage goals. A guy who can create space for Sid is the perfect winger for 87. He DOES NOT need Gaborik, Kovalchuk, etc... Just a big body who can skate, cycle, crash the net, and shoot.

I totally agree with ya.. Dont need a sniper,he needs Malone type of player.. Now it shows how bad we miss Ryan,but he was just asking too much money.end of story

He doesn't need a Malone type player. We saw what happened the numerous times Malone was tried on his wing. Sid needs a player that can effectively cycle to be most effective, but they have to have more speed than someone like Malone.

Tyler Kennedy, the '09-10 version. Add in one more piece and you're good to go.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Armyrulez on Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:10 am

Dustin 'effin Brown!!
Armyrulez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:12 am

Armyrulez wrote:Dustin 'effin Brown!!

There has to be someone in the world that actually has the middle name "Effin". That would pwn in so many ways.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gilmore_Tuttle on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:19 am

What about Alan Thicke... I hear hes good..
Gilmore_Tuttle
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:52 pm

Froggy wrote:What kind of winger would be better with sid? One that puts up good numbers, or one that helps sid put up good numbers? I realize these aren't necissarilly mutually exclusive to eachother, but which tendancy do you guys think would help sid and the team more?

Rick Tocchet and Kevin Stevens reincarnated.

Back to reality, you need wingers for Sid that allow him to put up good numbers. Take for instance what he's currently working with. Miroslav "the ghost" Satan. Sure, this guy has scored 12 goals this year and is on current pace to score 28 goals. The problem with Satan is his 5 on 5 play. If you want a guy that just hangs around the perimeter not getting dirty and not going to the net (unless its the PP), then he's your man. He doesn't dig for the puck. He doesn't cycle. He doesn't forecheck. He doesn't backcheck. In the neutral zone, you'll never see him go hard trying to stop the puckcarrier or carry it into the offensive zone. Other teams know this. Other teams know that without Sid, Satan is useless. So, why not solely focus on Sid? Satan opens no ice up for Sid. Instead, IMO, he leaves a liability for Sid in that other teams spend their time focusing on him. Satan wouldn't be half bad if he could at least carry the puck in the offensive zone. I think this is the difference between some of the guys that Sid has played with in the past as compared to Satan. At least those guys could carry the puck in the offensive zone, cycle, forecheck, or backcheck. Maybe they didn't do it all (like Hossa did), but at least being able to do one of those things efficiently helps Sid out than doing nothing.

Satan: 4 goals in his last 21 games (15 goal pace). For $3.5m, this guy isn't doing his job. Though Sid has his goal scoring issues right now, he's creating scoring chances, whereas I can't remember the last time Satan created a scoring chance.

As critical as I was on Fedotenko earlier in the season, at least he's come on to play and build chemistry with Malkin/Sykora. Satan on the other hand, I see as a hinderance to Sid because he relies on Sid to do ALL of the work.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins