Biz Nasty, good enough?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Biz Nasty, good enough?

Postby Corvidae on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:37 pm

Paul Bissonnette, does he have enough speed and hockey sense to be a serviceable 4th-line tough guy/enforcer/agitator?

He's not as big as Godard, but certainly tough enough to take on any and all middleweights (and likely a heavy weight or two). Is his call up a quick boost of grit, or could he be a regular bottle line brawler in the NHL? Sure won't be counting on any goals though...

EDIT: FYI, Biz just got called up, that's why I'm asking. Don't see a thread for it, but I'm sure most of you know.
Last edited by Corvidae on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Biz Nasty, good enough?

Postby pcm on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:44 pm

It's interesting to see Shero give all these WBS guys a call-up. He's obviously looking to see what organizational depth he has. Because if he were just trying to find guys that fit, Wallace would not have been sent down.

Biz and Godard on the team is redundant. If Biz can take a regular shift, one of those two will probably be traded.
Last edited by pcm on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:46 pm

If Krzysztof Oliwa and Steve McKenna can play "hockey" on a 4th line in Pittsburgh so can Bissonnette. From the limited time he has played he has better hockey sense than both and has more speed and skill. While he isn't a heavy weight by any stretch, he can and will fight when neccessary.

On a side note I have been very happy with what I've seen from Matt Cooke. He has stepped into Rutuu's role and provided energy without all the bad penalties. I never thought I'd utter these words but, I miss Tyler Kennedy.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:48 pm

pcm wrote:It's interesting to see Shero give all these WBS guys a call-up. He's obviously looking to see what organizational depth he has. Because if he were just trying to find guys that fit, Wallace would not have been sent down.

I disagree (and with most of the others here) about Wallace. He's like Cooke, if Cooke were not as good at hitting or scoring. And since Cooke isn't a scorer, that doesn't say much. I do like Cooke, but I think Wallace is too offensively challenged with not enough grit to make up for it.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:53 pm

Corvidae wrote:
pcm wrote:It's interesting to see Shero give all these WBS guys a call-up. He's obviously looking to see what organizational depth he has. Because if he were just trying to find guys that fit, Wallace would not have been sent down.

I disagree (and with most of the others here) about Wallace. He's like Cooke, if Cooke were not as good at hitting or scoring. And since Cooke isn't a scorer, that doesn't say much. I do like Cooke, but I think Wallace is too offensively challenged with not enough grit to make up for it.

Cooke is fantastic,i love him out there ;) i hope he will be re-signed again. Wallace is a 4th liner,nothing more yet.. has to improve on skills.
Biz Nasty have a shot to make it in NHL on 4th line as enforcer,can skate,can hit,can fight.. Godard can go next year and Bizz steps in
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:56 pm

If you watched Wallace closely, he was always making plays that led to offensive chances. Much like Malone last year, he does the little things that don't necessarily show up on the stat sheet, but create open ice for his teammates. He was directly responsible for at least 2 goals, which is pretty good for his 3rd/4th line minutes in just 7 games. In fact, I would say he has been one of the few bright spots in the past 7 games.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Cooke is fantastic,i love him out there ;) i hope he will be re-signed again. Wallace is a 4th liner,nothing more yet.. has to improve on skills. Biz Nasty have a shot to make it in NHL on 4th line as enforcer,can skate,can hit,can fight.. Godard can go next year and Bizz steps in

They signed God to a 3-year deal and Biz can't take on the true heavy weights. Orr, Parros, or the Boogie Man would give him the business. Godard can at least match up square with them.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:16 pm

I think we need more of a Laraque type of player for 4th line,who can eventually play some decent hockey,not a Godard type of guy,who is there more or less to beat people up.. Godard on 3years contract :shock: well we can trade him sooner anywhere,soo..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cojac on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:24 pm

Yes, he has good speed, and once he learn the LW postion, he'll be fine.
cojac
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:34 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:If Krzysztof Oliwa and Steve McKenna can play "hockey" on a 4th line in Pittsburgh so can Bissonnette. From the limited time he has played he has better hockey sense than both and has more speed and skill. While he isn't a heavy weight by any stretch, he can and will fight when neccessary.

On a side note I have been very happy with what I've seen from Matt Cooke. He has stepped into Rutuu's role and provided energy without all the bad penalties. I never thought I'd utter these words but, I miss Tyler Kennedy.

Yet again, thanks for showering us in your vast knowledge. Oliwa and McKenna both played pre-lockout when teams were constructed very differently. Bissonette has to be faster and more skilled than them if he even wants a shot at an NHL club.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:44 pm

Once you get into playoff hockey you can kiss your enforcer good bye. Everyoner has to play tough. Now we know we couldn't keep Laraque but he was ideal for the playoffs. He coudl play the 4th line position and you coudl put him on Malkin and Sids line to send a message to the other team. But Georges i didin;t like his gentalman aditude towards fighting. I like Godard that he will go out and get tough and nasty vs anyone who messes with his teammates. We need a tochett type. Maybe he will come out of retirment????
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:01 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:If Krzysztof Oliwa and Steve McKenna can play "hockey" on a 4th line in Pittsburgh so can Bissonnette. From the limited time he has played he has better hockey sense than both and has more speed and skill. While he isn't a heavy weight by any stretch, he can and will fight when neccessary.

Oliwa was a meathead, but don't you go disgracing the good name of Steve McKenna. Just because a player is not Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky does not mean they are devoid of hockey sense. McKenna was captain of his college team, played forward and defense in the NHL, and has successfully constructed and coached the Australian National Ice Hockey team from Division II to Division I of the IIHF.

As far as Biz Nasty goes, he'll be fine. For the most part the tools are there. He's a sloppy skater but that can be worked on. Making the adjustment from defense to forward takes time (unless you're Ian Moran), but he'll get there.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:01 pm

no name wrote:Once you get into playoff hockey you can kiss your enforcer good bye. Everyoner has to play tough. Now we know we couldn't keep Laraque but he was ideal for the playoffs. He coudl play the 4th line position and you coudl put him on Malkin and Sids line to send a message to the other team. But Georges i didin;t like his gentalman aditude towards fighting. I like Godard that he will go out and get tough and nasty vs anyone who messes with his teammates. We need a tochett type. Maybe he will come out of retirment????

Not completely. Godard maybe but dual purpose guys like Tootoo are ideal. I still thank god Philly beat up on Montreal in the playoffs last season because I wasn't confident the Penguins would have beaten the Habs. Philly beat them by playing Flyers hockey and it was no surprise that Montreal went out and picked up Laraque in the summer. You need muscle in the playoffs, probably more so than the regular season. Guys like Wallace and Stone are what would, in theory, be ideal for the playoffs. We need guys that are quick enough and smart enough to play a regular shift yet can back it up when necessary. We need guys that will punish opposing blueliners with some regularity. As for Wallace, I think he was exactly what we should be looking for in a third liner. He hustled every shift and in banging bodies created the occasional scoring chance. He plays alot like Cooke and I don't think we could ever have too much of what Cooke brings. I have no problem what so ever with Godard and Biz playing together on the 4th line. Therrien does not role the 4th line (as a complete line) enough for an extra fighter to be a waste of roster space. If memory serves me correct, the last time we were playing the Devils they manhandled us all night.

The more hitters, the better.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Senka on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:20 pm

He started as a D-Man in wheeling, and they realized he'd be a work in progress for a few years to get him to a better winger status.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:Therrien actually wanted Biz called up for the Flyers game, but James got the call. Therrien is a huge supporter of Biz and would like to see him stick and add toughness with Godard.

How do you know?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:56 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
Corvidae wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:Therrien actually wanted Biz called up for the Flyers game, but James got the call. Therrien is a huge supporter of Biz and would like to see him stick and add toughness with Godard.

How do you know?

Been mentioned on a few sites..

links?
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:02 pm

dagny wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:

links?

Here's one I found.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby K2 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:09 pm

Pens4Life wrote:I think we need more of a Laraque type of player for 4th line,who can eventually play some decent hockey,not a Godard type of guy,who is there more or less to beat people up.. Godard on 3years contract :shock: well we can trade him sooner anywhere,soo..

Have you been able to see Godard play enough to make that statement? I'm sorry...I liked BGL, but I fail to see how he's THAT much better of a player than Godard. I'd say the dropoff from BGL to Godard is negligible given the fact that Godard will not hesitate to go after somebody. BGL and Ruuts were well-liked here, but I think Shero upgraded with Godard and Cooke, and in doing so, saved some coin.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby K2 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:14 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
K2 wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:I think we need more of a Laraque type of player for 4th line,who can eventually play some decent hockey,not a Godard type of guy,who is there more or less to beat people up.. Godard on 3years contract :shock: well we can trade him sooner anywhere,soo..

Have you been able to see Godard play enough to make that statement? I'm sorry...I liked BGL, but I fail to see how he's THAT much better of a player than Godard. I'd say the dropoff from BGL to Godard is negligible given the fact that Godard will not hesitate to go after somebody. BGL and Ruuts were well-liked here, but I think Shero upgraded with Godard and Cooke, and in doing so, saved some coin.

Godard is a better skater then Laraque, he is also a better policemen and fighter IMO.. Cheaper and better fit for this team.

My thoughts exactly. He doesn't have that patented BGL move where you face the boards and shield the puck, but he brings a lot more hustle. My friend is a STH for the Islanders and told me when we got Godard that I'd like him because he brings it every night and works hard with his limited ice time
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:45 pm

dagny wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:
Corvidae wrote:How do you know?

links?

sausage?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:52 pm

I'd give them both an incomplete since they hardly played.

Jeffrey played 6:38 over 9 shifts. He had no shots, 1 hit and went 0-4 in the circle in his limited time. Bissonette played even less - 2:36 over 4 shifts - and had zeroes through the rest of his stat line. It's hard to stand out (good or bad) with that kind of time.

The only time I noticed Jeffrey was on his hit. I noticed Bissonette twice. Once when he got between Godard and a Devil because I thought it was odd he was playing peace-nik :) and when he made a pass to Godard, who had been struggling to stay on his feet the 20 seconds before.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:01 am

Last game vs. Devils, they embarrassed us. Clarkson and company mugged guys after every whistle at every opportunity. Biz and Godard were dressed tonight and the Devils played it straight. Interesting.

Probably the most underrated 4 minutes of ice time the entire night.
Last edited by NJ5934 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:02 am

Who said I expected 13 minutes? I'm pretty sure all I said was that I wouldn't judge them one way or the other because neither one hardly played.

If you saw enough from both of them watching them get minimal time on a televised game (which didn't iso on either) to form an opinion, that's fine. I did not and yet, you don't see me dismissing your opinion with comments like "once again you don't get it."
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:44 am

NJ5934 wrote:Last game vs. Devils, they embarrassed us. Clarkson and company mugged guys after every whistle at every opportunity. Biz and Godard were dressed tonight and the Devils played it straight. Interesting.

Probably the most underrated 4 minutes of ice time the entire night.

I'd have to agree here. The Pens in general have been pushed around lately. If Biz pus his game just a bit, you might as well keep him in the lineup for this very reason. He's not the main guy like Godard, but guys who test him will quickly find out what he can bring.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:58 am

Karl_Racki wrote:
K2 wrote:

Godard is a better skater then Laraque, he is also a better policemen and fighter IMO.. Cheaper and better fit for this team.

Agree....he will drop them early and often in every game if it's appropriate. I like his grit and willingness to go toe to toe with anybody. Hoping for Godard-BGL 3 tonight early on in the 1st to get the team anbd crowd going.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins