12.26.08 - Pittsburgh Penguins @ New Jersey Devils GDT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 12.26.08 - Pittsburgh Penguins @ New Jersey Devils GDT

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:27 pm

cs6687 wrote:The effort was outstanding. Yes, they did get outshot and outchanced. But this is a step in the right direction. However, Sid needs to get his head out of his @$$.

He wasn't all that bad.

He's underachieving right now, but have faith...this guy never goes too long without busting out. :D
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gary on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:28 pm

I think it's partly the Crosby Problem. Zero shots for 87 tonight. That's inexcusable. I'm getting disgusted with him. When you're getting badly outshot most nights and your captain is balling out a teammate for putting a shot on goal, as someone on this site alleged that Crosby did to Orpik,something's wrong with that picture.

Also, the Devils missed two absolutely wide open nets, one in the 1st period, one in the 3rd. That was the difference. Fleury played a nice game, but no one would be nominating him for No. 1 star if those shots go in.
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:28 pm

pcm wrote:Exactly the type of game the Pens needed to win.

Completely agree. Another blowout does little for this team at this point. They needed a hard fought close victory, and they got it against a good, hot team.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cs6687 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:29 pm

I think the best way for the Pens to cut down on chances against is to generate more offense. Getting Ziggy back will help, but the Pens need more puck possession.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gary on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Another thing - the PP was HORRIBLE tonight. The Devils got more chances on a typical 5-5 possession in the Pens end than the Pens did on an entire 2:00 PP.
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:31 pm

The Devils have been playing well lately, so it's nice to come away tonight with a win.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby neophool on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:31 pm

Gary wrote:I think it's partly the Crosby Problem. Zero shots for 87 tonight. That's inexcusable. I'm getting disgusted with him. When you're getting badly outshot most nights and your captain is balling out a teammate for putting a shot on goal, as someone on this site alleged that Crosby did to Orpik,something's wrong with that picture.

well Orpik SHOULDN"T have shot there. And Sid's the captain. soooooo........
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:31 pm

Gary wrote:I think it's partly the Crosby Problem. Zero shots for 87 tonight. That's inexcusable. I'm getting disgusted with him. When you're getting badly outshot most nights and your captain is balling out a teammate for putting a shot on goal, as someone on this site alleged that Crosby did to Orpik,something's wrong with that picture.

Also, the Devils missed two absolutely wide open nets, one in the 1st period, one in the 3rd. That was the difference. Fleury played a nice game, but no one would be nominating him for No. 1 star if those shots go in.

Nice is an understatement. Fleury stole this game. There's always chances that are missed during an NHL game. Their mistakes shouldn't take away from his performance.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cs6687 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:32 pm

Fleury played a nice game, but no one would be nominating him for No. 1 star if those shots go in.

Lame statement. Fleury was spectacular tonight. He did get lucky, but tonight, he showed why he's an elite goaltender.
Last edited by cs6687 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:35 pm

Can we just forget about all the things that they still need to improve on for one night? The important thing in this game was the spirit and passion the Pens showed. That's worth a lot more then the powerplay failure or a lack of shots. If you don't have the hardwork and passion, then that stuff won't matter too much anyways.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:36 pm

IIRC, the last time we played Jersey we played with them or better, and couldn't catch a bounce, a call, or any kind of break. Tonight may have evened that out. These things always even out over the course of a season, just usually not in consecutive games against a given team.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gary on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:36 pm

OK, Fleury played a spectacular game. Nice is an understatement. But my point is that no one should think the Pens are out of the woods or even close to getting there after a game like this. NJ finds a wide open net twice, the Pens get the zero points they deserve for getting outplayed in all phases of the game.

And Crosby needs to stop trying to be cute with the tic-tac-toe passing and trying to go through three players and just shoot the puck when he has an opportunity.

That said, it was still a big improvement over Tuesday.
Last edited by Gary on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:37 pm

What did Sid say to Orpik?

Great game Pens. We got some bounces but it was enough tonight - Pens worked tonight and MAF gave us a chance to win.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gary on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Steve wrote:

It wasn't tonight. I'm referring to a comment another poster made several games ago.
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:40 pm

Gary wrote:
Steve wrote:

It wasn't tonight. I'm referring to a comment another poster made several games ago.

I'm curious though, what did Sid say? If we're going to trash Sid for it, then let's really trash him with the facts - instead of just going on what some poster said.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Right, because we can correctly analyze a player's leadership and captaining skills from what some guy posted about Sid's reaction after a single play on a message board. Give me a break.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Crosby allegedly got on Orpik's case for putting a shot on goal when 87 didn't think he should have. IIRC, the poster that mentioned it got it from another forum, and that account might have been secondhand as well. The source was someone that supposedly read Crosby's lips on TV.

Not saying it isn't true, but it certainly isn't the most reliable source I've ever seen.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Three Stars on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:46 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:Right, because we can correctly analyze a player's leadership and captaining skills from what some guy posted about Sid's reaction after a single play on a message board. Give me a break.

I think this is another opportunity for my "blind man with no arms attempting to read Braille" analogy.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CKA24 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Gary wrote:OK, Fleury played a spectacular game. Nice is an understatement. But my point is that no one should think the Pens are out of the woods or even close to getting there after a game like this. NJ finds a wide open net twice, the Pens get the zero points they deserve for getting outplayed in all phases of the game.

And Crosby needs to stop trying to be cute with the tic-tac-toe passing and trying to go through three players and just shoot the puck when he has an opportunity.

Wow -- no one thinks that they are out of the woods. Not even close. But, to leap forward you need a foundation to jump from. Without a win tonight, confidence would run lower tomorrow. Let's celebrate the win... please!

Let's hope they come out with some hop tomorrow!
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Gary wrote:OK, Fleury played a spectacular game. Nice is an understatement. But my point is that no one should think the Pens are out of the woods or even close to getting there after a game like this. NJ finds a wide open net twice, the Pens get the zero points they deserve for getting outplayed in all phases of the game.

Here's the bottom line. The Pens put in the effort that will win them a lot more games than they lose because they have the talent to win a lot of games, even if they are getting outplayed. A talented team that works hard is very difficult to beat.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby czwalga on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:48 pm

netwolf wrote:Crosby allegedly got on Orpik's case for putting a shot on goal when 87 didn't think he should have. IIRC, the poster that mentioned it got it from another forum, and that account might have been secondhand as well. The source was someone that supposedly read Crosby's lips on TV.

Not saying it isn't true, but it certainly isn't the most reliable source I've ever seen.

I thought it was pretty clear... either way the look crosby gave to him was enough for me.

Anyway, what did cooke get the 10 min misconduct for? I was taking a nap thought the game started at 730 not 7?
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby neophool on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:49 pm

that's it.

Trade Crosby for Malkin.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:55 pm

Cooke lipped off after Talbot got taken down. Box score has it as a 10 minute misconduct for Abusive Language.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CKA24 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:27 pm

Happy with the win... let's hope we get another tomorrow!
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby neophool on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:37 pm

darn, couldn't find MAF and Eatons saves on the nhl.com highlights.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins