Two Non-Malkin Bright Spots

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Two Non-Malkin Bright Spots

Postby Corvidae on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:04 pm

Two non Malkin bright spots I'd like to draw more attention to:

Alex Goligoski
18 Points (6+12) and a +10 in 34 Games.

Great for a rookie defenseman, especially that +10. I wish he wasn't paired up with Boucher, though. What a super soff combo.

Petr Sykora
28 Points (12+16) and a +8 in 32 Games.

Petr Gun has almost a point-per-game pace through these 32 games. Not bad for a player who was injured and started slow. Malkin does not have winger issues.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Two Non-Malkin Bright Spots

Postby eastonpensfan on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:19 pm

I would add Wallace when he has been up. Fleury and Curry have both done well this year.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:44 pm

I will add a bright spot: we didn't trade Gogo when Whitney came up, and it's paying off, now that THeTang is hurt.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Ruslan Fedotenko is a bright spot too.

27 points in 33 games, and he's actually shown offensive instincts.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby czwalga on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:11 pm

purelebo84 wrote:Ruslan Fedotenko is a bright spot too.

Isn't it quite odd that anyone who plays on malkins line never looks horrible?

Everyones like we need a wing for sid for sid for sid. You never hear we need a wing for malkin becuase no matter who they seem to put there he does atleast decent.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:13 pm

czwalga wrote:

Everyones like we need a wing for sid for sid for sid. You never hear we need a wing for malkin becuase no matter who they seem to put there he does atleast decent.

Yes sir. Even last year...Sykie and Malone never panned out on Sid's line....but put them alongside 71, and it's magic. Malkin is just a much much easier person to play with I guess.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
czwalga wrote:

Yes sir. Even last year...Sykie and Malone never panned out on Sid's line....but put them alongside 71, and it's magic. Malkin is just a much much easier person to play with I guess.

malkin and sykora had a year to build chemistry in Russia as opposed to the few weeks sykora had with sid
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:21 pm

I'm really pleased with how he has stepped up his physical game in the last month.
Once Kennedy & Ziggy return, the Pens will be really solid on the bottom 3 lines.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Why So Serious? on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:23 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:
czwalga wrote:

malkin and sykora had a year to build chemistry in Russia as opposed to the few weeks sykora had with sid

Even if that is the case...how do you explain the emergence of Fedotenko and Malone when playing with Malkin as opposed to playing with Sid?
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:25 pm

czwalga wrote:

I recall Malone saying something about it being easier playing with Malkin. Supposedly Malkin is more laid back on the bench and doesn't pressure you as much. He's more of a "we'll get 'em next time" badger bob type guy, whereas Crosby's more of a guy that will brood over why a play went wrong.

Or so I've heard.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens15 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:26 pm

Ruslan Fedotenko? I don't think he has 27 points. More like 18. He has been decent though.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:28 pm

he has 27 penalty minutes though...
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:33 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:Even if that is the case...how do you explain the emergence of Fedotenko and Malone when playing with Malkin as opposed to playing with Sid?

Fedko has spent a lot more time on malkin's line, and it's only lately that he's producing. It's not like he switched from crosby's line to malkin's line and then boom, he started playing well. That's what you're making it sound like.

Crosby plays a faster game while malkin slows it down. Probably one reason why players such as fedko and malone can play better with him.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Why So Serious? on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:41 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:Even if that is the case...how do you explain the emergence of Fedotenko and Malone when playing with Malkin as opposed to playing with Sid?

Fedko has spent a lot more time on malkin's line, and it's only lately that he's producing. It's not like he switched from crosby's line to malkin's line and then boom, he started playing well. That's what you're making it sound like.

Crosby plays a faster game while malkin slows it down. Probably one reason why players such as fedko and malone can play better with him.

As far as I know, Fedo DID in fact click right away since being put on Malkin's line. And believe it or not, Fedo has been one of our more consistent players the last 10-11 games. And a big part of that is....Number Seventy-One. He has turned Fedo's season around from his early season struggles. And the few games that Fedo did play with Sid...he was as invisible as anybody on the ice.

I think it would be interesting to see what Satan could do playing alongside Malkin.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:

As far as I know, Fedo DID in fact click right away since being put on Malkin's line. And believe it or not, Fedo has been one of our more consistent players the last 10-11 games. And a big part of that is....Number Seventy-One. He has turned Fedo's season around from his early season struggles. And the few games that Fedo did play with Sid...he was as invisible as anybody on the ice.

I think it would be interesting to see what Satan could do playing alongside Malkin.

seeing as he didn't start playing with him 10 games ago, there wasn't instant chemistry. It took a few games as well as practices.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:54 pm

Chemistry between players is not always easy to predict. I remember when we put Kovy & Jagr on the same line & on the powerplay, I thought "unstoppable". It didn't work out that way. Yet Kip Miller clicked when put on Jagr's line.

Sid had chemistry with Hilbert & Colby. Satan is easily more talented than either of those players, but I don't think it's working out with Sid. Sid has looked ordinary lately, but he's still head and shoulders better than anyone in the world (except Malkin & Thornton) in finding open guys - so there's no reason why his line can't get going again, regardless if it's Satan or someone else...

As for Malkin, Best player in the world right now - he's making everyone around him so much better obviously.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Why the heck don't we just trade for Andy Hilbert? What's the worst that could happen?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:19 pm

Steve wrote:Chemistry between players is not always easy to predict. I remember when we put Kovy & Jagr on the same line & on the powerplay, I thought "unstoppable". It didn't work out that way. Yet Kip Miller clicked when put on Jagr's line.

Sid had chemistry with Hilbert & Colby. Satan is easily more talented than either of those players, but I don't think it's working out with Sid. Sid has looked ordinary lately, but he's still head and shoulders better than anyone in the world (except Malkin & Thornton) in finding open guys - so there's no reason why his line can't get going again, regardless if it's Satan or someone else...

As for Malkin, Best player in the world right now - he's making everyone around him so much better obviously.

I really think for Sid's line to be effective both of his linemates need to be solid skaters who are, at the very least, good along the boards. The soft sniper types just don't work with him. Ekman failed, Sykora failed, Satan, well, there's still a season to finish, but they haven't exactly been lighting it up together. Sid's style is just more condusive to that type of grinding, cycling play, which is probably why he had the most success with Army and Hilbert that one year (whereas Malkin seems to mesh better with a pure sniper on one of his flanks). I haven't been pushing for the Horton trade or anything (cause it's very, very unlikely Florida would trade him), but I do think he'd be a good fit for Sid. And once Kennedy is able to get a little more finishing touch on his shot, hopefully as soon as next year, I think he'd be a great linemate for Sid as well. A potential future line of Horton(or someone akin to him)-Crosby-Kennedy would be a dynamic one.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby purelebo84 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:43 pm

Pens15 wrote:

Ruslan Fedotenko? I don't think he has 27 points. More like 18. He has been decent though.

Oops.

Somehow, I managed to misread his stats on Yahoo. 27 PIM not points.

18 isn't too bad though (.5 pts. a game)
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins