Pens vs Habs Grades

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens vs Habs Grades

Postby Mad City Mike on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:10 am

Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pens vs Habs Grades

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:15 am

Everything sounds about right. The dogs will probably be getting some more attention again. They must have been a bit upset when hope intervened and the Pens netted a couple PP goals the last week and a half.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby czwalga on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:38 am

Pretty much accurate...

On their second goal i'm not sure how 5 pens collapse on the net leaving the points wide open and someone still gets a clean shot away from the slot. :?:
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:45 am

czwalga wrote:Pretty much accurate...

On their second goal i'm not sure how 5 pens collapse on the net leaving the points wide open and someone still gets a clean shot away from the slot. :?:

I believe they thought the period would end before anything of consequence happened. Oops.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:03 pm

With all the rest Montreal had, not playing since last Sunday, against the pens playing Friday evening; their team didn't dominate the penguins. Pens had mental breakdowns in their game... Price was good, but he doesn't frighten me for a play-off series.

Shots on goal should be the pens New Year's resolution starting 12/30. :)
I like Ruslan's game, it is coming around.
I hope Santa brought the penguin wingers speed in their hands and arms for shooting pucks. :wink:
Hope Santa has helped to heal a few pens back to health: Letang, Gill and Zigomanis...hurry back.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:58 pm

penny lane wrote:With all the rest Montreal had, not playing since last Sunday, against the pens playing Friday evening; their team didn't dominate the penguins. Pens had mental breakdowns in their game... Price was good, but he doesn't frighten me for a play-off series.

Shots on goal should be the pens New Year's resolution starting 12/30. :)
I like Ruslan's game, it is coming around.
I hope Santa brought the penguin wingers speed in their hands and arms for shooting pucks. :wink:
Hope Santa has helped to heal a few pens back to health: Letang, Gill and Zigomanis...hurry back.

And Kennedy.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:04 pm

i don't think Satan is going to find much success here if all we are is a 'dump and chase' team. why are we a dump and chase team again?

also worth noting is fleury going 'fishing' on the 2nd goal. couldn't get recovered in enough time to make a play on the shot (which shouldn't have even happened anyway.

carey price (his early success) was one of the main reasons i got down on fleury in the first place. last night was a perfect example why. fleury looks absolutely brilliant the other night and follows it up with this. there is a reason he is so low on the stats listing. its arguable that at this point he is not even a top 15 goalie.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:44 pm

I've seen more than enough of Phil Boucher. Time to dump him (now) when Letang and Gill come back and that way the Pens could absorb a $3M plus salary at the deadline.

MAF needs to find the technical groove he found when he came back from IR last season. There is no reason to expect he won't.
Last edited by Draftnik on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:45 pm

But who's going to want to take him and his contract on without sending Shero one back of comparable "value"?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:52 pm

netwolf wrote:But who's going to want to take him and his contract on without sending Shero one back of comparable "value"?

That is a good point. Nobody that has watched him play with the Pens... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe the Pens will get lucky and another team will suffer an injury crisis on D. I'd much rather see Lovejoy (and his meager wages) in PGH than Boucher right now.

Seriously though, 19 took over for 43 on the PK (during the game) on Friday/maybe Tuesday (and 100% for last night) and with 2 & 58 coming back I see no role for 43 on this team.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:24 am

When he first got here, I liked what I saw. He had a good shot and seemed to be decent positionally. The right handed shot was a plus as well. The past few games though, it's like he's processing the game in front of him a second or two slow, and is skating even slower. Plus, since Sydor (who I thought was playing well when he got a chance) wasn't playing, it was worth a shot.

I miss Kris Letang and I think the team does as well.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:35 am

steelhammer wrote:i don't think Satan is going to find much success here if all we are is a 'dump and chase' team. why are we a dump and chase team again?

also worth noting is fleury going 'fishing' on the 2nd goal. couldn't get recovered in enough time to make a play on the shot (which shouldn't have even happened anyway.

carey price (his early success) was one of the main reasons i got down on fleury in the first place. last night was a perfect example why. fleury looks absolutely brilliant the other night and follows it up with this. there is a reason he is so low on the stats listing. its arguable that at this point he is not even a top 15 goalie.

Did you see Price in the playoffs last year? This game by Fleury would've been one of Price's best that playoff, if it had been his.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:35 am

netwolf wrote:When he first got here, I liked what I saw. He had a good shot and seemed to be decent positionally. The right handed shot was a plus as well. The past few games though, it's like he's processing the game in front of him a second or two slow, and is skating even slower. Plus, since Sydor (who I thought was playing well when he got a chance) wasn't playing, it was worth a shot.

I miss Kris Letang and I think the team does as well.

Argument for keeping Boucher for the time being:

1. Still depleted on D. It's hard to trade away depth when we've needed all of it this year.
2. Just like Gill, it takes time to learn the Pens' defensive system. I have no idea why, but it always does. Maybe there is some more good to see.

Argument against Boucher:

1. He's un-needed. A luxury once the team is healthy. The team can't afford that luxury if it helps fill another hole.
2. He hasn't really helped the PP, which is what his specialty was.

If a team like Atlanta or Florida makes the playoffs, they could be potential partners. Not near the cap and may be in need of some depth. Has anyone called Tampa Bay yet? Tell them we have a deal they can't refuse...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:24 pm

netwolf wrote:When he first got here, I liked what I saw. He had a good shot and seemed to be decent positionally. The right handed shot was a plus as well. The past few games though, it's like he's processing the game in front of him a second or two slow, and is skating even slower. Plus, since Sydor (who I thought was playing well when he got a chance) wasn't playing, it was worth a shot.

Yeah, that's how I see it. I at first thought it was a good idea, but he hasn't really provided any offense. And Sydor - for all the times I slammed him - is much better defensively. At this point, I think I'd have rather kept Sydor, but, as you said, it was a good shot. Maybe Boucher will find his game yet, however. Either way, once Gonchar comes back, I don't think it will be a factor anymore. Gill's coming back tomorrow and I think we have missed his play BIG TIME - I can't understand how some people still can't see how important he is to our team.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins