Larry Brooks: NHL screwed up by over-marketing Crosby

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Larry Brooks: NHL screwed up by over-marketing Crosby

Postby cs6687 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:48 am

...the NHL has made a drastic error in anointing No. 87 as The Chosen One. The NHL's All-Crosby-All-The-Time marketing machine has been detrimental to the sport by virtue of its exclusionary policy.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12282008/sp ... 146182.htm
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Larry Brooks: NHL screwed up by over-marketing Crosby

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:50 am

My personal favorite Larry Brooks article was "Sundin itchin' to lace 'em up on Broadway" a few months ago.

The guy is an idiot, and any casual fan could take his job.

And he makes it sound like AO is better than Sid and Geno by a wide margin....the points race will beg to differ at the end of the season.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:53 am

cs6687 wrote:...the NHL has made a drastic error in anointing No. 87 as The Chosen One. The NHL's All-Crosby-All-The-Time marketing machine has been detrimental to the sport by virtue of its exclusionary policy.

Sigh... it's a shame the NHL markets the 2nd leading scorer in the league as opposed to a guys like Drury and Gomez who are tied for 103rd in the league. Gotta market all those superstars.

Also, I'm pretty sure the NHL has been spreading the wealth. Did he write this article 2 years ago and pull it out now?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:57 am

bhaw wrote:
cs6687 wrote:...the NHL has made a drastic error in anointing No. 87 as The Chosen One. The NHL's All-Crosby-All-The-Time marketing machine has been detrimental to the sport by virtue of its exclusionary policy.

Sigh... it's a shame the NHL markets the 2nd leading scorer in the league as opposed to a guys like Drury and Gomez who are tied for 103rd in the league. Gotta market all those superstars.

Also, I'm pretty sure the NHL has been spreading the wealth. Did he write this article 2 years ago and pull it out now?

Two years ago, I'm not sure Larry Brooks knew how to read and write.

He's one of those obnoxious New York homers that makes so many people hate New York.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:58 am

If the Rangers had won that lottery (shudder), that column would have been about how the NHL isn't marketing Crosby enough with two sidebars; one about how he takes too much abuse because the officials let people take liberties on him, and the other about how he's going to wind up going down as the greatest hockey player of all time.

That's about as much time as I care to waste on a hack like Larry Brooks.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:58 am

netwolf wrote:If the Rangers had won that lottery (shudder), that column would have been about how the NHL isn't marketing Crosby enough with two sidebars; one about how he takes too much abuse because the officials let people take liberties on him, and the other about how he's going to wind up going down as the greatest hockey player of all time.

That's about as much time as I care to waste on a hack like Larry Brooks.

Jealousy. That is all.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:20 pm

bhaw wrote:

I think I inadvertently created the Rangers' new marketing campaign. Which franchise player will crack the top 100 in scoring first? Gomez, Drury... the race is on!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:39 pm

Larry Brooks is an idiot.

He may be the worst writer in professional sports today.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby penny lane on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:39 pm

I bet some nights/days, Sid wishes the same thing. Just guessing AO's media demands less than Sid's...and Gino gets to do only what he wants, when he wants. with regards to the media.
Daily dealings with the media would be like having another fulltime job; even when you just want to keep the door closed.

Maybe Brooks' should be calling out T Leonsis for not getting his fans to vote in this farce of an NHL all star game.

Brooks' is still piqued that Lundqvist gave up that 3 zip lead from the 1st game. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:40 pm

No worries. Tavares is next.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:42 pm

i now feel more stupid for reading that.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:37 pm

mac5155 wrote:i now feel more stupid for reading that.

Yikes. you should have known better than to waste your time on that.

Everyone should just ignore idiots. Then they'll go away.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:52 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
mac5155 wrote:i now feel more stupid for reading that.

Yikes. you should have known better than to waste your time on that.

Everyone should just ignore idiots. Then they'll go away.

Yet Idiot40Fans grows stronger.... :twisted:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:01 pm

"crosby envy". it never ends.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:10 pm

Look, Crosby is an admirable individual and great player. But the NHL has made a drastic error in anointing No. 87 as The Chosen One. The NHL's All-Crosby-All-The-Time marketing machine has been detrimental to the sport by virtue of its exclusionary policy.

We get it, Crosby is Canadian and Ovechkin is Russian. But we also get that focusing on one athlete at the expense of a contemporary at least his equal and now clearly his superior, is stupid strategy that makes for horrible business policy.

Yeah, because a Russian player has never been marketed by the NHL.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:00 pm

I stopped reading at "IT IS the most unassail able offense-related record in NHL history, the 550 shots Phil Esposito sent on net in the 1970-71 season..." (which just happened to be the beginning!!!). I am sure if put to a vote, Wayne Gretzky's four 200 point performances far outpace this statistic (and should we just be looking for one season, then we'll go with his 212 point effort in 81-82). Sure, 550 shots is great...but when HALF of Wayne's 212 points (106 for the mathematically challenged) would be considered a decent year's showing by modern standings...212 is just simply impossible. If 550 shots is so great, then AO wouldn't be able to approach it by any means. Sure, I guess since this record was set 10 years earlier than Gretzky's 212, it has stood for a little while longer. Still, though, I'd be willing to go even money with Brooks (he can choose the amount of the bet) that come the end of the 2018-2019 season, the single season mark of 212 points is still standing quite safely.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby kovyman1127 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:31 pm

The part I don't like about the article is the "undisputable" conclusion that Brooks comes to that AO is the "best" player in the game. You might make an argument that AO is the most "exciting" player...but the best as a foregone conclusion?

All we can say so far...each having 1 scoring title...is that AO is a better goal scorer...and Sid is a better passer...

Brooks is the same guy who didn't want the NHLPA to give into a salary cap system back during the lockout. He felt the players were being cheated. Got to love union apologists. UAW anyone?
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Poor Geno. :lol:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby scals37 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:21 pm

im trying to remember the last time i saw sid on the tv besides the games.... keep seeing that fool coburn everywhere, and GOD is he annoying
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:23 pm

scals37 wrote:im trying to remember the last time i saw sid on the tv besides the games.... keep seeing that fool coburn everywhere, and GOD is he annoying

welcome to the rest of the nhl's feelings on Crosby
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby scals37 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:27 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
scals37 wrote:im trying to remember the last time i saw sid on the tv besides the games.... keep seeing that fool coburn everywhere, and GOD is he annoying

welcome to the rest of the nhl's feelings on Crosby

yea well coburns highlight reel consists of him getting drilled in the eye with a slapshot
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:34 pm

Brooks is an idiot. He hates Bettman, Crosby, & the Pens. He is bitter that his NYR will suck once again. They lost their best player (Jagr) and are on the road to another playoff failure.

The irony is Ted Leonsis is the most technically savvy NHL owner and should have the acumen to stuff the ballot for AO and the other Caps with text & Internet voting but the Caps have zero fans so he can't get a population of zero to vote.

The All Star game is a joke. It is an entertainment tonight pop culture event. There isn't even a pretense of competitive drama.

Crosby has been preparing for this role since he was 13. He earns millions of $$$ more per year in endorsements (Canadian companies) than the next closest NHL player. He is walking the path he's always wanted to walk and the hyper scrutiny, over analysis, jealousy, resentment, etc is all part of the bargain.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:46 pm

Brooks is awful, I don't even know why I originally stumbled into this thead. He hasn't contributed anything worthwhile in his existence.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stoosh on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:56 pm

I'm starting to wonder if the criticism over the NHL's perceived over-exposure of Crosby isn't getting, um...over-exposed.

I'm not saying that Crosby isn't marketed extensively; he absolutely is. But doesn't the NHL seem to be making a concerted effort to market other players as well?

Think about how many times you've seen Crosby on NHL Network commercials this year. Outside of that commercial with him and the photo from Game Six last year, that's all I can think of and I haven't seen that one in weeks.

Is Crosby doing commercials for Versus here in the States? Nope. So where's the article claiming that Braydon Coburn is overexposed? I see that commercial at least three or four times during every Versus broadcast. (For the record, I love that commercial and Coburn is one of the few Flyers players I've ever actually liked.)

Any Reebok commercials featuring Sid running every other commercial break during national broadcasts on Versus this year?

This is Crosby's fourth season in the league and he has yet to grace the cover of an NHL video game by either EA Sports or 2K Sports, and whether people want to admit it or not, those are two big vehicles the NHL uses to bring the game into American households.

As Draftnik said, this comes with the territory and the next time Sid is concerned about what Larry Brooks thinks of him will be the first time. Sean Avery said the NHL needs more villains. Hockey bloggers like Greg Wyshinski (Yahoo.com's Puck Daddy) have taken that a step further and said the NHL might be better off with Crosby as a "bad guy".

I don't think the NHL needs to go that far. Crosby is as polarizing a figure in the NHL as Gretzky was 20 years ago. He's what Jordan was during his prime in the NBA...either you loved Jordan or you hated Jordan.

The irony to me is that I can recall writers like Brooks bemoaning the fact that after Lemieux and Gretzky retired, the NHL didn't have that ONE marquee player to draw the casual fans in to the game. Jagr and Lindros didn't quite cut it, mostly because Jagr's personality didn't lend himself to it and Lindros never lived up to his potential long-term. Goaltenders like Brodeur and Roy aren't going to bring people to their televisions.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:29 pm

The worst part about that article is that it doesn't make one mention of Evgeni Malkin... you know, the guy who's running away with the scoring title. Apparently he's not even good enough to be in the discussion. :roll:
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins