Staal and Kennedy as a winger pairing for the top 6

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Staal and Kennedy as a winger pairing for the top 6

Postby Noise on Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:44 pm

not really for this year, but for next year when the Pens probably won't be able to afford a whole lot. With Malkin or Crosby in between I could see it as really working. A line like that could probably really cycle and control the puck well.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Staal and Kennedy as a winger pairing for the top 6

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:46 pm

Why worry about next season now? How about we focus on this season first? There's plenty of time during the offseason to discuss these things.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:38 pm

I don't know
I just like to make conversation
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joker10277 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:54 pm

You can give Kenedy a shot I guess, not sure the results would be there. Staal is just too slow to play with crosby.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:57 pm

Isn't that where staal started this year. There's a reason he isn't still there. Keep him at center if he is still here. TK might work, but right now he's just a great third liner helping that line out.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby scals37 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:10 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:Isn't that where staal started this year. There's a reason he isn't still there. Keep him at center if he is still here. TK might work, but right now he's just a great third liner helping that line out.

yup, staal just hasnt shown any reason why he should be on the wing with either sid or geno
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:20 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:Isn't that where staal started this year. There's a reason he isn't still there. Keep him at center if he is still here. TK might work, but right now he's just a great third liner helping that line out.

Staal was on a scoring line for less than 4 games this year. He played like crap on the 3rd line for the first few weeks too. I don't buy the argument that he was given a chance at wing this year. If we want to look at his failure there last season, that works, but he was not given any real kind of chance this year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Unfortunately for the pens, it appears that Staal is locked into the 3rd line center role for some time...He is not capable of producing top line numbers....yet...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:16 pm

As things stand now, I believe both Staal and Kennedy will be in top six roles next season. The Pens will need to take advantage of cheap production on Kennedy's new deal and they can't pay Staal whatever he'll end up getting to be a third line center. He's already getting big minutes but his role will have to be bumped up because they won't have the money to sign top six wingers. Either Staal plays wing or they have him play center and play Crosby and Malkin together from day one.

Kind of pointless to talk about this now considering how much can change. I don't think anyone envisioned things changing the way they did from 12/28/07 to 12/28/08.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:35 pm

I think Kennedy would have gotten a run on Sid's RW if he hadn't been injured. He has the motor to play at a high tempo like Sid. He may not have the hands to score a ton of goals, but if the Pens get a scoring LW for Sid, Kennedy could do the dirty work @ RW like Dupuis did @ LW for Sid & Hossa last season. Kennedy was a PPG player his last year at the Soo and nearly a PPG player at WBS so his offensive pedigree is there to potentially fit in and not slow things down.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:04 am

Didn't Dupuis just play the game of his life?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:25 am

I think it would serve the Penguins well to stick Staal on Sid's wing for a few more games. Before they have to make a potentially big decision on him, it would serve them best to know exactly what they have. If he can't convert to wing, they can treat him like a 3rd line center. If he can, then it's a totally different ball game come signing time. It would be crazy to potentially lose the guy then find out 2 years later that he is a phenomenal wing and we are still cycling guys through Sid trying to find a match.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:26 am

Mongoose87 wrote:Didn't Dupuis just play the game of his life?

Yes, and let's hope he keeps it up. It would be nice to solidify one wing long term.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:03 am

If Staal re-signs for reasonable amount (3.5mills max),there will be a 3mills approx.for a new winger next season in salary cap space. So we could get a decent winger for Sid. Kennedy has potential to be good winger for Sid also,but he hadnt had a chance yet to prove it.
I would try that line down the road,with Dupuis - Crosby - TK,if Pascal keeps up with recent play and Satan will be still in a scoring crisis..
I would love to see next year if Caputi explodes in camp,get LW spot with Sid,Jeffrey and Wallace keeps playing like they are and we dont have to spent any more money for doubtful streaky wingers for top lines and also 3-4th lines. But we also must re-sign Sykie,he is still better than Satan.
With a forward depth chart like this for next year - I think we can be satisfied
C : Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Zigomanis, Jeffrey
RW : Sykora, Kennedy, Cooke, Wallace, Taffe, Godard
LW : Dupuis, Caputi, Talbot, Minard, Pesonen, Bizz

LW is maybe a little bit doubtful,but if Jeffrey proves himself,he can be 3rd line C or even if that wouldnt work out yet,Talby can play 3rd line C and Staal gets LW spot on top lines,which i think they should try eventually,we cant be paying big bucks(3-4mills) for 3rd liners..
Soo in best scenario without any additions via UFA or trades:
Staal - Crosby - Kennedy
Dupuis - Malkin - Sykora
Caputi (for a start) - Jeffrey - Cooke
Talbot - Zigomanis - Wallace
x - Godard

or
Caputi - Crosby - Kennedy
Staal - Malkin - Sykora
Dupuis - Talbot - Cooke
Jeffrey - Ziggy - Wallace

but that is just too much planning for next year already :) but we just love to do that
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:53 am

bhaw wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:Didn't Dupuis just play the game of his life?

Yes, and let's hope he keeps it up. It would be nice to solidify one wing long term.

Players like Dupuis can play on the top line because they are sound defensively, but they should't be counted on to score goals. His job is to do the dirty work and bang some bodies....Satan is supposed to be the trigger man. He will not be around next year...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins