Changes coming to the team?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Are changes coming?

No changes (self explanatory)
9%
Minor changes (some bottle line trades, maybe a waver grab)
53%
Major changes (huge deal with someone like Staal involved, MT maybe gets the ax)
35%
Freakin' crazy (Malkin to LA)
3%

Total votes : 94

Changes coming to the team?

Postby Corvidae on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:06 pm

What do you think is on the horizon? I think some minor changes and that's what I'd prefer unless you can grab a decent non-rental winger. Of course that not easy as it wouldn't come cheap. But still possible.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Changes coming to the team?

Postby Bowser on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Pens don't have the cap space to do anything unless the trade is $$ for $$.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pensfan20 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Getting someone like Geurin or Tkachuck would be nice. Not sure what the price would be. But some tough vetran leadership would be a nice addition to the roster. Gary Roberts was a great guy to have last year come the playoffs and i really think we need that kind of leadership once again.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 pm

No offense, but I would rather stand pat than add either one of those guys to this team, especially Guerin. Neither one is what I would call a playoff warrior, and just because both are old doesn't mean they are good leaders.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:26 pm

The best thing to do is grab a player to fill a niche. Bad at faceoffs? Shero found The Mantis (and for virtually nothing). I don't expect a deal that slick, but something small with big reward. That's what I'd want, and what I think Shero will do. Likely an addition to the grit section. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Staal to pack his bags for a winger, but it's not happening (and this isn't a "tade Staal!" thread).
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfan20 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:29 pm

netwolf wrote:No offense, but I would rather stand pat than add either one of those guys to this team, especially Guerin. Neither one is what I would call a playoff warrior, and just because both are old doesn't mean they are good leaders.

That is true, but there also isnt any evidence that shows that they would not help. I would just like that type of power forward. The Shanahan of 4-5 years ago.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Staal and a 1st + maybe another pick for Gaborik and James Sheppard or PM Bouchard.

Do it.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:36 pm

purelebo84 wrote:Staal and a 1st + maybe another pick for Gaborik and James Sheppard or PM Bouchard.

Do it.

Are people (not just you) still seriously thinking about bringing Gaborik in at the deadline? Have you guys learned nothing about him this season? We'll be lucky if he even plays a game in the playoffs for us. Forget Gaborik already! It's ridiculous how he continues to be brought up in trade ideas. And we CANNOT give up another 1st round pick this season. People have to realize that you CANNOT make Hossa-like trades every season at the trade deadline. Sometimes, you have to go with what you got.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:39 pm

pensfan20 wrote:
netwolf wrote:No offense, but I would rather stand pat than add either one of those guys to this team, especially Guerin. Neither one is what I would call a playoff warrior, and just because both are old doesn't mean they are good leaders.

That is true, but there also isnt any evidence that shows that they would not help. I would just like that type of power forward. The Shanahan of 4-5 years ago.

If we're talking that type of player, then we're in agreement, but with specific mention of those two guys, I'd still rather stand pat. Neither one has ever accomplished much in the playoffs. Not that I'm a proponent of doing do, but I would trade for Gary Roberts now or sign Shanahan before I'd trade for Guerin or Tkachuk. I am just not a fan of either guy.

And I have zero interest in Gaborik at any price. He can't stay healthy for anything.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:40 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:Staal and a 1st + maybe another pick for Gaborik and James Sheppard or PM Bouchard.

Do it.

And we CANNOT give up another 1st round pick this season. People have to realize that you CANNOT make Hossa-like trades every season at the trade deadline.

No, we can... and then we can all complain about how there is no depth in the system. Because the Red Wings found Datsyuk late in the draft one year, so our franchise is an utter failure if they can't find those kinds of guys year after year and sit them in the AHL until we need them.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Fold the KHL. Have Jagr be Sid's RW.

Lemieux comes out of retirement and plays LW.

Trade Satan for Jesus.

Lemieux - Crosby - Jagr
Fedotenko - Malkin - Sykora
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Talbot - Zigomanis - Wallace
Godard

:lol:

Being realistic, the Pens will probably make some minor moves. The biggest move I can see is them replacing Satan. With who? Who knows.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby pfim on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:44 pm

pensfan20 wrote:

There is plenty of evidence that Guerin and Tkachuk won't help. I don't think you're going to find that type of player before the end of the season.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:58 pm

minor, fire yeo
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:Fold the KHL. Have Jagr be Sid's RW.

Lemieux comes out of retirement and plays LW.

Trade Satan for Jesus.

Lemieux - Crosby - Jagr
Fedotenko - Malkin - Sykora
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Talbot - Zigomanis - Wallace
Godard

:lol:

Being realistic, the Pens will probably make some minor moves. The biggest move I can see is them replacing Satan. With who? Who knows.

Where is Jesus on those lines?
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfannn on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:34 pm

What is bottle line?
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Not until the trade deadline.

Maybe they can dump Boucher for futures when Letang comes back to open up some Cap space for deadline moves.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:37 pm

Jesus is the goalie, of course! He saves!
Last edited by littlemoonboot on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:40 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:Jesus is the goalie, of course! He saves!

Hahahahahaha!

+1
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby joker10277 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:46 pm

But, Lemieux scores on the rebound........... :lol: :lol: :lol:
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:52 pm

No way Shero stands idle at the deadline. Whatever the moves, I trust that they will be good enough for a very strong playoff push.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkin0017 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:09 pm

If the Penguins were going to go after an all star winger, I would like them go after Kovalchuk than Gaborik. If we can get Gaborik at a discount MAYBE.
Malkin0017
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Firebird on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:30 pm

joker10277 wrote:

But, Lemieux scores on the rebound........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what a rebound is for...
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:32 pm

I'd gladly take Kovalchuk or Hejduk....
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:32 pm

First off, the only time Malkin or Crosby are getting traded are on your PS3 or XBox360. If Shero deals either of them, it would be the absolute height of lunacy, so let's forget about either of them going anywhere. Malkin is on pace for about 140 points this year.

Slightly less ridiculous is notion of trading something significant for Gaborik. Talented player? Absolutely, but the guy makes fine china look durable. I've said before that I wouldn't trade a bag of pucks for Gaborik right now because I at least know I can use the pucks every game. Minnesota has played 279 regular-season games beginning with the 2005-06 season; Gaborik has only played in 196 of those games. He's missed all but six games this year. He's an incredible gamble for a team like the Pens to take, especially when it comes to breaking up their core. If it means dealing a piece of the core like Staal, Whitney, Letang or Goligoski, I want something more of a sure thing.

Nevertheless, it's still too early for any of these teams to make any significant deal. No one is really "out of it" because we're not even at the midpoint yet. No team like Atlanta is going to run up the white flag on their season right now and deal someone like Kovalchuk. A deal like that is still realistically six, maybe eight weeks away.

In the interim, there may be a minor deal to shake things up a little bit, but even something like that maybe a week or two away.

I think Shero does SOMETHING. I even think the Pens are a reasonable candidate for a blockbuster deal at the deadline, but it's going to depend on where they are and where other teams are as well (Atlanta, Florida, Toronto, etc).
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:12 pm

Nik Antropov.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins