Changes coming to the team?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Are changes coming?

No changes (self explanatory)
9%
Minor changes (some bottle line trades, maybe a waver grab)
53%
Major changes (huge deal with someone like Staal involved, MT maybe gets the ax)
35%
Freakin' crazy (Malkin to LA)
3%

Total votes : 94

Re: Changes coming to the team?

Postby Bowser on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:22 pm

For the Pens to acquire Gaborik or Kovalchuk, the salary cap numbers must work.

Kovalchuk cap hit = $6.4 million (signed through 09-10)
Gaborik's cap hit = $6.333 (UFA this summer)

Package for Gaborik = $6.984 million
- Satan = $3.5 million
- Boucher = $2.5 million
- Goligoski = $984k

Package for Kovalchuk = $6.684 million
- Satan = $3.5 million
- Staal = $2.2 million
- Goligoski = $984k

Does anyone think a deal with Atlanta is happening? I don't think so.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:28 pm

That's an inaccurate way of looking at the cap numbers. For this season, the Pens only need to worry about the cap hit for the last month of the season. That's something like 16% of their total cap hit. All the cap space they'd need to have free to bring in Gaborik, for example, is ~$1.13 million. That's assuming that they'd get them at the deadline. Anytime sooner and the cap hit increases. Cap hit for player acquisitions is prorated.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby holeinone on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:45 pm

You people must be plugged in to Eklund with all the Gaborik trade talk. Like beating a dead horse. I think the dead horse could dress for a few more games than Gaborik
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:58 pm

holeinone wrote:You people must be plugged in to Eklund with all the Gaborik trade talk. Like beating a dead horse. I think the dead horse could dress for a few more games than Gaborik

Why are you guys soo down on Gaborik? soo what if he was injuried.. REMEMBER MARIO? soo was he worthless-dead horse also? noooo,he was one of the best of all times,he was just unlucky with injuries.. MAF also missed a lot of games in last 2 seasons.. Gaborik is a great player,he would be great winger,I rather have Kovalchuk,but if we can get Gabo.. hey do it-RS
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:03 pm

I really don't see the Pens making a huge push for someone this year. If they do, I will be shocked.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:05 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
holeinone wrote:You people must be plugged in to Eklund with all the Gaborik trade talk. Like beating a dead horse. I think the dead horse could dress for a few more games than Gaborik

Why are you guys soo down on Gaborik? soo what if he was injuried.. REMEMBER MARIO? soo was he worthless-dead horse also? noooo,he was one of the best of all times,he was just unlucky with injuries.. MAF also missed a lot of games in last 2 seasons.. Gaborik is a great player,he would be great winger,I rather have Kovalchuk,but if we can get Gabo.. hey do it-RS

Did you just compare Gaborik to 66? :shock:

And the reason we're down on Gaborik is because of his track record regarding injuries. He isn't worth giving up core pieces like Staal, Whitney, Goligoski, etc... NO WAY.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:08 pm

HH - It isn't an inaccurate picture because this team can't afford to pickup the equivalent of $1.13 million without trading those players.

NHL season: 186 days
Gaborik Cap Hit: $6,333,333.00
Gaborik's Daily Cap Hit: $34,050.18
NHL Trade Deadline: March 4, Season Ends April 12th (Pens 11th)
39 Days after deadline x $34,050.18 = $1,327,956.92

Pens currently have $158,000 in cap space

The sooner the Pens can dump payroll like Boucher, it will help give Shero options at the deadline.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:34 pm

Just sending down Jeffrey and Bissonnette within the next couple weeks frees up $600,000+. If they end up sending Goligoski down, that's another significant chunk of cap space. My point is, they don't need to free up much to add a high priced guy at the deadline and they have avenues to do it. I agree dumping Boucher is an option, and possibly a realistic one - he's about a $400,000 cap hit from the deadline on, and he's probably got a place on a team with less depth than this one.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Zach6668 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:42 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:Nik Antropov is incredibly slow.

fyp
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:52 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Just sending down Jeffrey and Bissonnette within the next couple weeks frees up $600,000+. If they end up sending Goligoski down, that's another significant chunk of cap space. My point is, they don't need to free up much to add a high priced guy at the deadline and they have avenues to do it. I agree dumping Boucher is an option, and possibly a realistic one - he's about a $400,000 cap hit from the deadline on, and he's probably got a place on a team with less depth than this one.

Why is Boucher the guy that everyone thinks is going to be moved?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby neophool on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:56 pm

TRADE MLAKIN
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:57 pm

meow wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Just sending down Jeffrey and Bissonnette within the next couple weeks frees up $600,000+. If they end up sending Goligoski down, that's another significant chunk of cap space. My point is, they don't need to free up much to add a high priced guy at the deadline and they have avenues to do it. I agree dumping Boucher is an option, and possibly a realistic one - he's about a $400,000 cap hit from the deadline on, and he's probably got a place on a team with less depth than this one.

UFA at the end of the year, questionable role on the team, relatively large cap hit. They've got Gonchar, Whitney, and Letang for the PP, not to mention Goligoski... they've got Gonchar, Orpik, Gill, and Scuderi for the PK. A defenseman with no special teams role is pretty much a waste and certainly not worth a $2.5 million hit.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby neophool on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:57 pm

i would barf if we gave up anything more then a bag of practice pucks for Gaborik.

we don't need Kovy.

we need Kevin Stevens.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:45 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
meow wrote:

UFA at the end of the year, questionable role on the team, relatively large cap hit. They've got Gonchar, Whitney, and Letang for the PP, not to mention Goligoski... they've got Gonchar, Orpik, Gill, and Scuderi for the PK. A defenseman with no special teams role is pretty much a waste and certainly not worth a $2.5 million hit.

I agree he doesn't have a defined role on this team, but why would anyone else want him?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:54 pm

Zach6668 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:Nik Antropov is a beast.

fyp

Yea I know he's a monster. And he's exactly what Sid needs as his winger. A guy who can work the boards, cycle, crash the net, and score garbage goals. Not to mention, he would create a lot of space for Crosby to work with.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:54 pm

Plenty of teams don't have the defensive depth the Pens have, he wouldn't take much to get, and his remaining cap hit by the deadline is pretty low. I mean, the Pens picked up Kwiatkowski at the deadline a couple years ago for depth.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:11 am

I still wouldn't completely rule out Gaborik. Minnesota's fallen out of the playoff picture right now. If they're not in it at the deadline, that makes it a near certainty that he's getting traded. I don't think he'll cost what Hossa did. Hossa's a better player and also isn't chronically infected by the injury bug. Maybe a first, Tampa's third, and a decent prospect is enough. I can't see anyone giving up any type of blue chip young player for him given his injury risk. Dealing another first isn't ideal, but if they do what we'd hope they do, that's a very late first and they'd still have picks in every other round. Despite the risk for injury that Gaborik holds, if they added a player like that without giving up anything on the current roster, they put themselves in a great spot come playoff time.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:18 am

Why So Serious? wrote:
Zach6668 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:Nik Antropov is a beast.

fyp

Yea I know he's a monster. And he's exactly what Sid needs as his winger. A guy who can work the boards, cycle, crash the net, and score garbage goals. Not to mention, he would create a lot of space for Crosby to work with.

I like him, but Toronto isn't giving him up for anyone without a track record. Meaning I doubt Staal for Antropov would fly. And the Leafs don't really need defensemen.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:22 am

Henry Hank wrote:I still wouldn't completely rule out Gaborik. Minnesota's fallen out of the playoff picture right now. If they're not in it at the deadline, that makes it a near certainty that he's getting traded. I don't think he'll cost what Hossa did. Hossa's a better player and also isn't chronically infected by the injury bug. Maybe a first, Tampa's third, and a decent prospect is enough. I can't see anyone giving up any type of blue chip young player for him given his injury risk. Dealing another first isn't ideal, but if they do what we'd hope they do, that's a very late first and they'd still have picks in every other round. Despite the risk for injury that Gaborik holds, if they added a player like that without giving up anything on the current roster, they put themselves in a great spot come playoff time.

I agree. I wouldn't rule out Gaborik as well just based off of him probably costing less than Hossa due to his injury situation. You can't make a trade for anyone to be Crosby's RW unless Satan is moved however. Gaborik is low risk/high reward. Worst case scenario is if he's injured, TK is moved up to the first line.

Gaborik is probably the closest player this generation to Pavel Bure. Like Bure, his injuries (groin vs. knees) are an issue. When the guy plays, he's a game breaker. I saw him playing a week or so ago and he scored two goals. The guy would be loved here.

He loves to shoot the puck. Last year, he finished 11th in the league in SOG. The year before that, he scored 30 goals in 48 games and had 196 shots (335 SOG average).

I think the thing is, people would have to realize unlike Hossa, this guy is going to be a rental. He supposedly wants to play for the Kings next year.

I wouldn't rule out Gaborik coming here but I'm not in favor of trading one of our guys like Letang/Gogo to get him either.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:25 am

bhaw wrote:
I like him, but Toronto isn't giving him up for anyone without a track record. Meaning I doubt Staal for Antropov would fly. And the Leafs don't really need defensemen.

Toronto will probably want draft picks. Burke is probably going to want to trade up in the draft this year and get Braydon Schenn.

Cliff Fletcher really depleted their draft picks when he was their GM. They were all but traded away.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:30 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Toronto will probably want draft picks. Burke is probably going to want to trade up in the draft this year and get Braydon Schenn.

Cliff Fletcher really depleted their draft picks when he was their GM. They were all but traded away.

He is kind of like Horton though. Why give up a proven young winger with talent to draft guys with potential? If Toronto would take a few picks for Antropov, I'd be all in for it assuming a contract could be worked out. He's a UFA.

I just don't think he's going anywhere.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:30 am

tombarrassorules wrote:you know what's classic?

i read a bluejackets board the other day and everyone seemed to be comtemplating on the plausibility of obtaining horton, antropov, gaborik, kovalchuk and who they could give up.

Yeah, that's crazy. Who does that?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:32 am

If the Pens got Gaborik, I'd imagine Satan would be involved in some way just to balance out salary. He wouldn't have a role here if they upgraded to Gaborik. I'm guessing Minnesota wouldn't object to balancing out salaries if it had to come to that. Satan will be owed something like $500,000 at the deadline, which is less than what Gaborik will be owed.

I'm not going to join the Satan whipping boy club, but if he's such a problem like people say he is, taking the risk on Gaborik has to be a no brainer if the cost isn't outrageous, which it shouldn't be. Look back at the Hossa deal. Christensen looks useless now. Esposito's stock is probably even lower now than it was. Armstrong wouldn't fit on this team right now. A late first round pick seems like a fair trade for a guy that almost made them a Cup winner. There's no way Gaborik should cost what Hossa did, and that proved to be little in the grand scheme.
Last edited by Henry Hank on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby K2 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:33 am

netwolf wrote:And I have zero interest in Gaborik at any price. He can't stay healthy for anything.

This. And no thanks to Guerin or Tkachuk. Ever since that hotel trashing incident I've lumped most everyone from that US Olympic team as an arse, justifiably or not (especially Chelios)
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:33 am

I don't see anything crazy happening this year.

First of all, I would not expect any kind of moves anytime soon. There have simply been too many injuries to truly tell what kind of team we have. secondly, I don't see what we can afford to give up at this point.

We shall see however.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins