Changes coming to the team?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Are changes coming?

No changes (self explanatory)
9%
Minor changes (some bottle line trades, maybe a waver grab)
53%
Major changes (huge deal with someone like Staal involved, MT maybe gets the ax)
35%
Freakin' crazy (Malkin to LA)
3%

Total votes : 94

Re: Changes coming to the team?

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:37 am

tombarrassorules wrote:
bhaw wrote:
tombarrassorules wrote:you know what's classic?

i read a bluejackets board the other day and everyone seemed to be comtemplating on the plausibility of obtaining horton, antropov, gaborik, kovalchuk and who they could give up.

Yeah, that's crazy. Who does that?

i just think its funny that basically the same four guys could cure every team's problems except the teams they're on. make no mistake, antropov is the answer for crosby, AND the guy to get the bluejackets in the elusive playoff hunt.

I smell a three way trade that somehow ends up in the Pens and Blue Jackets having to split his services. We get him Mon, Tues, Wed and every other weekend. Alternate holidays.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:40 am

Henry Hank wrote:If the Pens got Gaborik, I'd imagine Satan would be involved in some way just to balance out salary. He wouldn't have a role here if they upgraded to Gaborik. I'm guessing Minnesota wouldn't object to balancing out salaries if it had to come to that. Satan will be owed something like $500,000 at the deadline, which is less than what Gaborik will be owed.

I'm not going to join the Satan whipping boy club, but if he's such a problem like people say he is, taking the risk on Gaborik has to be a no brainer if the cost isn't outrageous, which it shouldn't be. Look back at the Hossa deal. Christensen looks useless now. Esposito's stock is probably even lower now than it was. Armstrong wouldn't fit on this team right now. A late first round pick seems like a fair trade for a guy that almost made them a Cup winner. There's no way Gaborik should cost what Hossa did, and that proved to be little in the grand scheme.

Yes and no. A no brainer if the price isn't high. But this year we don't have 2 or 3 extra 3rd/4th liners hanging around. Unless Minnesota is ok with Taffe and a pick?

Last year was much easier to pull the trigger because we had a dozen ECs and Armstrongs. This year we would have to give up a regular ie TK, Dupuis, Talbot... although none of those make sense since we just signed all of them. Maybe Wallace, Scuds, or someone like that? I don't know... this year is harder to piece together a deal like that.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:45 am

If Staal is too slow for playing with Sid, why is Antropov any better?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:51 am

Mongoose87 wrote:If Staal is too slow for playing with Sid, why is Antropov any better?

I don't buy the "too slow" argument. I think maybe he doesn't have enough hockey sense yet (Staal) to understand what Sid is doing on certain plays. But if Dupuis can keep his play up like last game, they just need a tree-like fellow to bang pucks home from the front of the net. Antropov goes to the net. That would help Sid and Dupuis work the rest of the offensive zone. If Staal can learn to do that, he can be just as effective.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:41 am

Why So Serious? wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:
holeinone wrote:You people must be plugged in to Eklund with all the Gaborik trade talk. Like beating a dead horse. I think the dead horse could dress for a few more games than Gaborik

Why are you guys soo down on Gaborik? soo what if he was injuried.. REMEMBER MARIO? soo was he worthless-dead horse also? noooo,he was one of the best of all times,he was just unlucky with injuries.. MAF also missed a lot of games in last 2 seasons.. Gaborik is a great player,he would be great winger,I rather have Kovalchuk,but if we can get Gabo.. hey do it-RS

Did you just compare Gaborik to 66? :shock:

And the reason we're down on Gaborik is because of his track record regarding injuries. He isn't worth giving up core pieces like Staal, Whitney, Goligoski, etc... NO WAY.

Gaborik compared to Mario? yeah,injury wise.. nothing else.. But im not in favour in trading at the deadline for a player who will be UFA at the end of season.. I dont want to give some core player like Staal and a prospect like GoGo for Gaborik,then Gabo signs elsewhere in free-agent market. We must go after a player who is signed thru next season at least.. Kovalchuk,Horton... maybe also Antropov,where is a lot of chance he would re-sign.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby freq019 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:54 am

how about an option for nothing, just get healthy? I think getting TK and Zigomantis back will do more than shaking up the roster with a trade. But if the slide continues we'll see something happen. I just hope getting a few guys back from injury is spark enough
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:00 am

Did someone mention Gaborik in the same sentence as Lemieux. You should be tarred and feathered for such heresy. We don't need somebody else's problems
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:05 am

I wouldn't be shocked to see Shanahan signed...Right handed veteran winger add some offensive depth and change things up a little bit, without having to give up an asset...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:53 am

^^^

and would probably come cheaply too.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:17 am

I want Nathan Horton.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:19 am

freq019 wrote:how about an option for nothing, just get healthy? I think getting TK and Zigomantis back will do more than shaking up the roster with a trade. But if the slide continues we'll see something happen. I just hope getting a few guys back from injury is spark enough

They have the line up, the goalie, and the power play people...ultimately their fate in their own hands.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ace on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Changes will be made, but you have to wait and see who are the sellers this year.

IF Florida falls out of the race, and have to dump salary, perhaps Horton becomes available. Rumors are they are in financial crisis.
IF Phoenix falls out of the race, and have to dump salary, perhaps Doan becomes available. Rumors are they are in financial crisis.

Forget Kovalchuk or Gaborik....go for grit. Pens lack that right now.

Other options could be Cole from Edmonton, Roberts from Tampa, sign Shanny maybe, but do need more size and grit throughout the lineup.

Shero will wait a few more weeks, and see what shapes up, no need to panic right now.
Ace
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:52 pm

I don't know how the cap floor works once you get into the season, but Phoenix is barely above the floor as it is. I don't know if they CAN be sellers. Also, most of their guys are signed to minimum contracts except for Jokinen, Doan, Morris, Jovo, and Bryzgalov. They aren't getting rid of Doan, we don't need Morris, Jovo, or Bryzgalov. Jokinen is a center.

See previous pages for my thoughts on Horton. I doubt he's for sale.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Also, I see Horton listed as a center...???? Is that not right? If it is, why is he in the discussion so often?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ams on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Horton plays C and RW.
ams
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Major changes vote from me.

Staal wants too much money. Even if he would improve his play... well, then he'd want even more. We'd be nuts to pay big $ to a 3rd line center, considering we have Crosby and Malkin. Talbot's just about perfect for the spot anyway. We need to save all we can for a quality winger for Crosby - that has been probably our #1 problem for a couple of years now.

We also have to decide what to do with our defense. Are we keeping everybody or what? Gonchar, Whitney, Letang, Gogo, Orpik, Scuderi, and Gill - I love having all these guys on the team, so I just have to hope Shero makes the right decision. Eaton and Boucher and whoever else there is... well, I don't really care.

Actually, if I had my way right now I'd have:
Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney/Letang - Scuderi
Gogo - Gill

Letang better find his scoring touch soon, BTW. Boy has talent coming our of his ears.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Major changes vote from me.

Staal wants too much money. Even if he would improve his play... well, then he'd want even more. We'd be nuts to pay big $ to a 3rd line center, considering we have Crosby and Malkin. Talbot's just about perfect for the spot anyway. We need to save all we can for a quality winger for Crosby - that has been probably our #1 problem for a couple of years now.

We also have to decide what to do with our defense. Are we keeping everybody or what? Gonchar, Whitney, Letang, Gogo, Orpik, Scuderi, and Gill - I love having all these guys on the team, so I just have to hope Shero makes the right decision. Eaton and Boucher and whoever else there is... well, I don't really care.

Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney/Letang - Scuderi
Gogo - Gill

Letang better find his scoring touch soon, BTW. Boy has talent coming our of his ears.

Staal(we cant afford to pay him 3mills per year for 3th line C duty) must be tested as winger with Sid before we trade him,if he can play winger ,then we are good on left side,on RW i would put Kennedy instead of Satan.. If Satan wont pick up soon (4 goals in 23gp),he will be gone sooner or later..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney/Letang - Scuderi
Gogo - Gill

How do you know Staal wants too much money? Are you Ray Shero? Are you Staal's agent?

Remember how everyone was talking about possibly trading Malkin cause he is going to want the cap max/year? I guess it turned out he wasn't as greedy as everyone thought he was.

I just don't understand how you can jump to conclusions about how much Staal wants. Maybe even he understands his role on the team and realizes he cannot make as much as he would like to right now.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:10 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:

Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney/Letang - Scuderi
Gogo - Gill

How do you know Staal wants too much money? Are you Ray Shero? Are you Staal's agent?

Remember how everyone was talking about possibly trading Malkin cause he is going to want the cap max/year? I guess it turned out he wasn't as greedy as everyone thought he was.

I just don't understand how you can jump to conclusions about how much Staal wants. Maybe even he understands his role on the team and realizes he cannot make as much as he would like to right now.

You know he wants too much money because he'd be stupid not to try to get at least $3 million, and thats too much for a 3rd line center.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:02 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney/Letang - Scuderi
Gogo - Gill

You know he wants too much money because he'd be stupid not to try to get at least $3 million, and thats too much for a 3rd line center.

As someone else mentioned Avs are in need of C,because of Sakic and Stastny injuries,soo if we deal Staal for Hejduk that wouldnt be bad at all. And no we really dont know,if Staal will demand too much money,but we all doubt that it will be under 3mills anyway.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

As someone else mentioned Avs are in need of C,because of Sakic and Stastny injuries,soo if we deal Staal for Hejduk that wouldnt be bad at all. And no we really dont know,if Staal will demand too much money,but we all doubt that it will be under 3mills anyway.

Staal for Hejduk? :shock: :shock:

Wowww. You really wanna do that straight-up? Seriously? Dump a 20 year old with loads of potential for a 32 year old who hasn't done much in the last few years? Why not give Staal a chance on Sid's line before trading him for someone who is potentially going to cost more than Staal anyways? Come on. I don't want to trade Staal, but IF we had to, we can get a lot more for him than just Hejduk.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:18 pm

A simple move that I think would pay dividends would be if the Pens could get an enforcer who could actually skate.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:29 pm

No no,i agree with ya-WS Serious.. 1st we must try Staal on wing,then maybe trade him,if he doesnt produce.. But no,Staal for Hejduk not straight up,with some minor additions..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Hejduk would be a great FA signing, but, I agree, if we're going to trade a young player like Staal, we need to get equal youth in return.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:14 pm

The myth that Staal is only the 3rd line center on this team and can not be paid like a top forward needs to be dispelled.

Staal is the #3 forward on this team. His icetime is behind only Malkin and Crosby. Just because the Pens play their 3 best forwards on 3 different lines does not mean Staal is relegated to lowly 3rd line duty, just as Malkin is not "stuck on the second line."
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins