Options with Taffe and Minard..

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Options with Taffe and Minard..

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:16 am

Soo what are the options with both of them,what roles will they have with Pens in this season or next one,if any?
They are still playing very good in WBS - Minard 24 goals in 28 games and Taffe has i think 16+22 in 27 gp.. They played decent in chances they got in NHL this year,but i doubt they will get a lot more chance if any.. Because they arent players MT would put on top lines ( I would give MInard a chance) and we have a lot of 3rd liners already and now with Wallace,Jeffrey also playing well and Caputi as next in line for a call up,there is a doubt about those two. Good AHL-ers,but just not NHL-ers or just not on Pens? Managment will always(pretty much) give a younger player with potential more chance, than to 27years old(occasional NHL-ers) to chip in on 3rd-4th line spots to develop and get some experiance.. Do you see MInard and Taffe in next season with Pens and with what kind of roles,AHL top scorers or maybe more?
Pesonen is probably heading home next season. my opinion
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Options with Taffe and Minard..

Postby The Current One on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:39 am

Get rid of them. They're the perfect examples of guys who excel in the AHL, but can't make the step up to the NHL level.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:48 am

Put them out in the pastures and shoot them.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:12 am

The Current One wrote:Get rid of them. They're the perfect examples of guys who excel in the AHL, but can't make the step up to the NHL level.

Why would you get rid of them? If they cant play important roles on Pens,they still can be leaders in WBS.. So they could be new age Nasreddine's :)
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:28 am

Pens4Life wrote:
The Current One wrote:Get rid of them. They're the perfect examples of guys who excel in the AHL, but can't make the step up to the NHL level.

Why would you get rid of them? If they cant play important roles on Pens,they still can be leaders in WBS.. So they could be new age Nasreddine's :)

I highly doubt that either would like to be considered as a lifetime AHL-er, but knowing that Taffy went through waivers once already, and wasn't picked up by anyone, that's likley only role they'll ever have in Penguins system.
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensBeerGeek on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:49 am

Pens4Life wrote:

Hey, if they're willing to stay on 2-ways, I'd be happy to keep them around, even if they are the hockey equivalent of Quad-As (a baseball term for players that crush the minors but simply can't make it in the bigs). I can't blame them if they move onto another organization....making $550,000 in the NHL, even only playing 2 minutes or night or in the press box, is a lot better than making $100,000 in the AHL.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:03 pm

I don't necessarily agree with you there...

When those 2 guys are in WBS, they are getting top line/top special teams minutes. When they come here, they are playing 5-6 minutes per game with Eric Godard. Then they get spotted in maybe 2-3 shifts per game with good players. Obviously, they are not going to score any points in a situation like that.

If you really want to figure out if these guys will ever play in the NHL, you say to Taffe, You're getting 5 games on a line with Sid and whoever. Show that you belong. And if he doesn't, send his ass right back down.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:39 pm

If Cosby had a RW like Shane Doan then I could see a place for Minard on the LW. He could be a low cost alternative to round out one of the top lines as long as the other wing is a power forward who can score.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:40 pm

taffe/minard for gaborik e4
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:If you really want to figure out if these guys will ever play in the NHL, you say to Taffe, You're getting 5 games on a line with Sid and whoever. Show that you belong. And if he doesn't, send his ass right back down.

I agree that we don't just blow them off and say good bye. But I don't agree that all of our prospects need to be thrown on the top line with Sid to see how they do. Not sure how this trend started on this board, but this is not how the typical prospect works their way into the NHL. They start low in the depth chart with a few minutes and earn their spot and move up if they continue to earn it. I don't know of any teams that pick guys out of their AHL teams and put them with a superstar to see how they do. It doesn't make sense. They are in the AHL to begin with for a reason. If the guys were scoring wingers capable of top 6 duty, they would be there.

You have to keep those guys in the system because you never know when they will be needed or if they can eventually earn a regular spot on the team. But you can't just give them a top 6 spot and determine their fates based on that.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:20 pm

Career AHL'rs/NHL callups
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensfan20 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:27 pm

bhaw wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:If you really want to figure out if these guys will ever play in the NHL, you say to Taffe, You're getting 5 games on a line with Sid and whoever. Show that you belong. And if he doesn't, send his ass right back down.

I agree that we don't just blow them off and say good bye. But I don't agree that all of our prospects need to be thrown on the top line with Sid to see how they do. Not sure how this trend started on this board, but this is not how the typical prospect works their way into the NHL. They start low in the depth chart with a few minutes and earn their spot and move up if they continue to earn it. I don't know of any teams that pick guys out of their AHL teams and put them with a superstar to see how they do. It doesn't make sense. They are in the AHL to begin with for a reason. If the guys were scoring wingers capable of top 6 duty, they would be there.

You have to keep those guys in the system because you never know when they will be needed or if they can eventually earn a regular spot on the team. But you can't just give them a top 6 spot and determine their fates based on that.

Well, not sure if D'Agostini got any time up last year, but this year when he was called up he was immediately put on the 2nd line wing. Played the entire game there and scored. 3 goals in his first 4 games. Sometimes when you have a certain type of player, you have to put them where they will succeed. Putting someone like Pesonen on 3rd or 4th line isnt going to work (not that i am saying putting him on the top line would) just saying that sometimes you have to take that risk and put a certain type of player in a role they will have the most chances of succeeding.
We all know about chemistry as well, so putting Peso on with Geno for 2 shifts isnt going to show us what he can do.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:40 pm

I thought Taffe played well in the limited time he got this year. He made some plays happen and seemed to fit up here. He clearly has more experience then Minard, and I believe that he should be an NHLer in this league. If not with the Pens, then certainly on the 3rd or 4th line with another team. He's too good to be a career ahler imo.

I think the jury is still out on Minard. He wasn't all that impressive in his brief stint this year with the Pens, but he didn't have much of a chance either. He needs to work on some things, and hopefully one day he will be ready for the NHL full time. Right now though, he belongs in the minors.

Right now Wallace and Taffe definitely deserve to be the callups over anyone else who has played in Wilks-Barre this season. Wallace has been playing his heart out every shift and is certainly making his presence known. As much as I love Biz as the enforcer type, he needs to learn to do some other things besides fighting. I was glad to hear that he has been working hard in the minors trying to improve other aspects of his game. By the looks of things he still has a lot of work to do though.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins