Don't look now

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Don't look now

Postby Rocky133213 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:34 pm

KG wrote:OV is arguably the best player in the game so is Crosby and Malkin. They should all be 1,2,3 in the scoring race this year and for many years to come...

I concur.
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jesse on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:48 pm

I don't really care about the scoring race. If we get consistent and healthy, we can win a Stanley Cup.

Our team is three steps closer to the Cup than the Capitals are. They've a questionable defense, questionable goaltender, and a lack of a strong defensive system. Their style of play combined with Ovechkin's newfound love for cherry picking is a recipe for a first round loss.

Ovechkin can take 25 scoring titles in a row. I want the Stanley Cup. Piss on individual accolades.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:01 pm

scals37 wrote:somehow sid is slumping, possibly picking his game back up completely any game now, and is tied with AO, and hes being thrown to the wind?

Exactly.

Usually, nothing surprises me on these boards, but this does. No player is perfect, and Sid has looked ordinary for a few games, which is very unlike him - but I would have thought that Sid turned into Rico Fata based on some of the nonsense posted here.

I have to wonder how many of these trashing posts are really coming from Caps or Flyers fans, who are simply obsessed with Sid? Or are we just that spoiled?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bathgate on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:02 pm

Ovechkin is coming on like gangbusters and will win the scoring title unless Malkin and Crosby start scoring more GOALS. That means they have to shoot more, especially Crosby, but we all recognize that (except them of course). Also, they need to get more power play points. Good wingers or not, they need to elevate the PP. If they can't, they don't deserve to win the title.

Injuries will probably be a factor in the scoring title. At least one of the 3 is likely to go down for awhile and that will ruin his chances.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:03 pm

Steve wrote:Or are we just that spoiled?

:!:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:51 pm

Ovechkin is being a shot monster the past few weeks. He had 7 SOG last night.

Last week, it was either the same day the Pens got 15 SOG the entire game, Ovechkin had 13 SOG himself in the Caps game (when he took a total of 20 shots).
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Rocky133213 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Don't look.....ever. that is one ugly dude!
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CKA24 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:51 pm

The Current One wrote:but guess who's quickly catching up to Geno in the scoring race? Two more goals last night, and showing why he's the MVP and best player in the league by a wide margin. His two goals last night were as many as Sid has in what, 12 games?

What's sad is that, we keep clamoring for a winger for Sid to play with to score goals. Why? Because he couldn't hit the side of a barn if he were standing next to it. On the other hand, it doesn't matter who Ovechkin is playing with because he can score a goal at anytime and anywhere on the ice. That's what separates him from Crosby - he can dominate a game all by himself, while Sid has not. Geno is actually closer to Ovechkin in that respect, but still not at that level. Ovechkin just has a passion and determination about his game that Sid does not, and he continues to put his team on his back night in and night out. That why he's the reigning MVP, and looks like he's going to repeat this year in a landslide.

Fixed. I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Sid can take a game over. I'm pretty sure we've all seen him do so. Just not this year... or at least not often this year.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:02 pm

The Current One wrote:
On the other hand, it doesn't matter who Ovechkin is playing with because he can score a goal at anytime and anywhere on the ice. That's what separates him from Crosby - he can dominate a game all by himself, while Sid cannot. Geno is actually closer to Ovechkin in that respect, but still not at that level. Ovechkin just has a passion and determination about his game that Sid does not, and he continues to put his team on his back night in and night out. That why he's the reigning MVP, and looks like he's going to repeat this year in a landslide.

I don't know how many Caps games you get to see, but I watch quite a bit on Center Ice and Ovechkin probably plays on the best line in hockey.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Semin is just an unbelievable line.

Backstrom/Semin >>>>>>>>>>> Dupuis/Talbot and Satan

It's not even fair to compare.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby pensfan20 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:38 pm

And also lets not forget the division AO is in. That means he plays more games against, Atl, Fld, Tb and Carolina.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby midd on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:20 pm

I think you meant to say they would probably have 10-15 more points if they shot the puck more rather than trying to make that pretty pass.

DMcGrew wrote:Sid and Geno would probably have 10-15 more points if they played in the most crap division in the league.
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Das boot on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Ovy is a great player as well as sid and geno, whose the best? Tough to say because each plays a completely different game from the other, right now i would say geno is playing the best all around hockey, to say ovy is better then sid by a wide margin is a little silly esp since crosby hasnt been playing well at all and still #2 in the league in scoring.
Das boot
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby purelebo84 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:28 pm

midd wrote:I think you meant to say they would probably have 10-15 more points if they shot the puck more rather than trying to make that pretty pass.

DMcGrew wrote:Sid and Geno would probably have 10-15 more points if they played in the most crap division in the league.

And with linemates of all-star pedigree rather than third and fourth liners and a ghost like Satan.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby holeinone on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:13 pm

If Ovie didn't go back to Russia to be with his grandfather he would be ahead or a lot closer to Geno. Ovie is a beast of a player and don't kid yourself about it. He can do much more than Sid and is a pure goal scorer. And that my friends is one thing the Sid will never be.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:21 pm

holeinone wrote:If Ovie didn't go back to Russia to be with his grandfather he would be ahead or a lot closer to Geno. Ovie is a beast of a player and don't kid yourself about it. He can do much more than Sid and is a pure goal scorer. And that my friends is one thing the Sid will never be.

Yawn..

What did he miss, a couple games tops?

Ovechkin is a winger, Malkin and Crosby are both centermen and lightyears beyond ovechkin in the two way aspect of the game. I dont see Ovechkin winning tough battles on the boards. The major physicality everyone gets so excited about is Ovechkin headhunting and taking shots at people. Cherry Picker, All about individual stats, Getting compliments on taking 500 shots? Quality over Quantity.

Crosby is a better skater and playmaker. Ovechkin can shoot, thats all.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:
holeinone wrote:If Ovie didn't go back to Russia to be with his grandfather he would be ahead or a lot closer to Geno. Ovie is a beast of a player and don't kid yourself about it. He can do much more than Sid and is a pure goal scorer. And that my friends is one thing the Sid will never be.

Yawn..

What did he miss, a couple games tops?

Ovechkin is a winger, Malkin and Crosby are both centermen and lightyears beyond ovechkin in the two way aspect of the game. I dont see Ovechkin winning tough battles on the boards. The major physicality everyone gets so excited about is Ovechkin headhunting and taking shots at people. Cherry Picker, All about individual stats, Getting compliments on taking 500 shots? Quality over Quantity.

Crosby is a better skater and playmaker. Ovechkin can shoot, thats all.

Exactly.

The reason why Malkin and Crosby are and will continue to be better players is because of how defensively responsible they are. Ovechkin is a floater in the defensive zone. He is never behind the net helping his dman get the puck out. Geno and Sid are always back defensively and they play the 2-way game as well as anybody in the world right now. 87 and 71 are pure team players...there is no individualism with those two. They play the most selfless game and always try to get everybody involved. AO likes to be flashy, and don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but I would take those Sid and Geno over AO any day of the week.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby holeinone on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:22 pm

And talking about quantity or quality Taking no shots will not score any goals Witness the Pens Zero goals and 15 shorts on goal against tampa I"ll take the quantity At least it gives you a chance to score
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:49 pm

holeinone wrote:And talking about quantity or quality Taking no shots will not score any goals Witness the Pens Zero goals and 15 shorts on goal against tampa I"ll take the quantity At least it gives you a chance to score

As guy on Pensblog mentioned:

Yeah, so Ovechkin leads the league with 223 shots, he also leads the league with missed shots-91.
He averages 6.4 shots/game, Geno has 3.4.
Giveaways, Ovie is 4th, with 41, the league lead is 45.
Takeaways, he is 39th, with 25, Geno is 4th with 37
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Still can't fathom what was in Ovechkin's head when the pens and caps played earlier this season. He had a missile lock on Gino. The caps won the game, but AO did nothing.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Doogs on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:01 pm

Think they'd trade him for Staal and a puck moving d-man? Mainly because a trade hasn't been mentioned in a bit. HAHAHA
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby E 14 Hornblower on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:01 pm

REALLY LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
E 14 Hornblower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby UVM2003 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:00 pm

Ovechkin played 35 games. Malkin has played 36.

Look I like Ovechkin a lot. He's great to watch and is awesome for the game. But when you say he 'can do much more than Sid', what the hell are you talking about? The only thing I can think that he does better than Crosby is score goals.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:09 pm

I'm looking.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:18 pm

When the Pens slump Malkin is still finding away to pick up a couple points. when we are winning and the PP is clicking he's picking up 4 points. Malkin is going to win the scoring title this year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:36 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I'm looking.

I'm not. I'm too scared to look.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins