Trade Scenarios

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Trade Scenarios

Postby maudineormsby on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:31 pm

Okay, I wanted to throw something special out there for my 1100th post, since 1000 was wasted complaining about mojo in the GDT.

I've been thinking through trade scenarios. I think that the market will be very difficult because the West has more "bubble" teams than the East (CLS, LA, MIN, DAL, NSH, EDM). In the East it appears that there will be 4 sellers: NYI, ATL, TBL and OTT. Also, TOR has basically announced that they're changing their roster to be bigger and more physical. In the West, I would expect STL to be selling, as well as at least two other teams, although LA won't be one of them no matter what, so if they end up in the Basement, forget it.

So, who do we really have a shot at getting? Here are some trade scenarios I think could be plausibly considered. Before you start saying "We should never trade X" remember that you have to give something up to get something, and with a smaller trade market this year (as I explained why I think this above), prices could be higher.

-----------------

Roberts (TB) to PIT for Boucher -- I think this trade just makes sense. The cap hits are similar, Roberts is probably done after this year, while Boucher is not. Boucher brings a veteran presence on D, which TB needs DESPERATELY, and they could probably re-sign him. If they could get a verbal agreement or something ahead of time, then I think this trade could go through. Injured or not, I want Roberts on the Pens. He's got grit, determination, and he is NOT soff.

Antropov (TOR) to PIT -- I think Staal would have to be involved in this trade, and PIT would want to make sure that we got a contract hammered out so we didn't get burned, but Antropov is big and physical, and Staal would help TOR on the two-way play that they need. We're probably stuck bundling in Goligoski or Letang to help their D, but if Eaton were enough for them, I'd pull the trigger. We could probably afford him long term, as well.

Kovalchuk (ATL) to PIT -- Yeah, the holy grail of trades. ATL has been willing to make moves with big players, but Kovalchuk is signed through next year. That complicates things somewhat. I think Whitney would have to be involved in a trade for Kovalchuk to free up cap room. ATL is deep enough on D that I'm not sure they'd take Eaton, but I'm betting they'd love to have Whitney and not re-sign Schneider. I'm thinking Whitney/Staal for Kovalchuk could conceivably happen. I don't think we'll get a Hossa-like deal since he's signed through '10.

Kozlov (ATL) to PIT -- The trade I prefer, instead of Kovalchuk, is for Kozlov. Sure he's old and declining, but he has great hands and is affordable. Also signed through next year. I'm not sure what the trade would be, but I'm betting Staal is involved. That said, probably not much else would be needed. ATL is not that deep at C. Has a NTC, so he'd have to waive it.

Lehtinen to PIT -- Unlikely because Lehtinen has never played for anyone besides DAL, and has a NTC. I don't think he'd waive it, but I think DAL will want to move him for Defensive depth if they aren't looking at a playoff run. Goligoski could be a good chip here; plus someone intriguing like Pesonen.

Some others...

Gaborik -- I don't think this makes sense because of who we would have to move to open cap room. Even if we only had him from the dealine we'd need to open over 1 Million in cap room because we don't have anything right now. It's not worth trading Whitney to get Gaborik; he's just too brittle.

Nash -- Signed through next year and the heart and soul of the CLS franchise. Also, he's their entire marketing effort. If they traded him I think they'd have a mutiny on their hands (and they almost already do). Everyone in CLS seems to think that the team is going to KC. Sounds familiar.


Anyone have any other ideas? I'd love to hear them.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,706
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:45 pm

I'd love to see Kozlov in PGH, but I'm afraid he doesn't do much to address the wimp factor (14) on Crosby's line.
Last edited by columbia on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,357
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Rohit on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 pm

there is no way in hell id want to give up staal for antropov alone straight up
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,143
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: indianapolis, IN

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:54 pm

If we trade Staal and Gogo for Antropov, I will eat a brick, then crap it out.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:05 pm

You left out my mancrush Horton!!!
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,700
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby DelPen on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:09 pm

Lehtinen will get traded at the deadline but will be signing back with Dallas. I wouldn't mind giving up Gogo but I want a conditional 2nd rounder if Lehtinen ends up back on Dallas prior to the 2010 draft.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,193
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Zach6668 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:21 pm

I only read up to the Antropov part, and honestly, this needs to be said.

I don't think anyone on this board has ever seen Antropov play.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,459
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:29 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON, formerly Thunder Bay, ON

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:26 pm

maudineormsby wrote:Okay, I wanted to throw something special out there for my 1100th post, since 1000 was wasted complaining about mojo in the GDT.

I've been thinking through trade scenarios. I think that the market will be very difficult because the West has more "bubble" teams than the East (CLS, LA, MIN, DAL, NSH, EDM). In the East it appears that there will be 4 sellers: NYI, ATL, TBL and OTT. Also, TOR has basically announced that they're changing their roster to be bigger and more physical. In the West, I would expect STL to be selling, as well as at least two other teams, although LA won't be one of them no matter what, so if they end up in the Basement, forget it.

So, who do we really have a shot at getting? Here are some trade scenarios I think could be plausibly considered. Before you start saying "We should never trade X" remember that you have to give something up to get something, and with a smaller trade market this year (as I explained why I think this above), prices could be higher.

-----------------

Roberts (TB) to PIT for Boucher -- I think this trade just makes sense. The cap hits are similar, Roberts is probably done after this year, while Boucher is not. Boucher brings a veteran presence on D, which TB needs DESPERATELY, and they could probably re-sign him. If they could get a verbal agreement or something ahead of time, then I think this trade could go through. Injured or not, I want Roberts on the Pens. He's got grit, determination, and he is NOT soff.

Antropov (TOR) to PIT -- I think Staal would have to be involved in this trade, and PIT would want to make sure that we got a contract hammered out so we didn't get burned, but Antropov is big and physical, and Staal would help TOR on the two-way play that they need. We're probably stuck bundling in Goligoski or Letang to help their D, but if Eaton were enough for them, I'd pull the trigger. We could probably afford him long term, as well.

Kovalchuk (ATL) to PIT -- Yeah, the holy grail of trades. ATL has been willing to make moves with big players, but Kovalchuk is signed through next year. That complicates things somewhat. I think Whitney would have to be involved in a trade for Kovalchuk to free up cap room. ATL is deep enough on D that I'm not sure they'd take Eaton, but I'm betting they'd love to have Whitney and not re-sign Schneider. I'm thinking Whitney/Staal for Kovalchuk could conceivably happen. I don't think we'll get a Hossa-like deal since he's signed through '10.

Kozlov (ATL) to PIT -- The trade I prefer, instead of Kovalchuk, is for Kozlov. Sure he's old and declining, but he has great hands and is affordable. Also signed through next year. I'm not sure what the trade would be, but I'm betting Staal is involved. That said, probably not much else would be needed. ATL is not that deep at C. Has a NTC, so he'd have to waive it.

Lehtinen to PIT -- Unlikely because Lehtinen has never played for anyone besides DAL, and has a NTC. I don't think he'd waive it, but I think DAL will want to move him for Defensive depth if they aren't looking at a playoff run. Goligoski could be a good chip here; plus someone intriguing like Pesonen.

Some others...

Gaborik -- I don't think this makes sense because of who we would have to move to open cap room. Even if we only had him from the dealine we'd need to open over 1 Million in cap room because we don't have anything right now. It's not worth trading Whitney to get Gaborik; he's just too brittle.

Nash -- Signed through next year and the heart and soul of the CLS franchise. Also, he's their entire marketing effort. If they traded him I think they'd have a mutiny on their hands (and they almost already do). Everyone in CLS seems to think that the team is going to KC. Sounds familiar.


Anyone have any other ideas? I'd love to hear them.


1. Roberts for Boucher - yes,Gary can finish his career here
2.Antropov for Staal - okey maybe,if Nik re-signs,otherwise no
3.Kovalchuk for Staal & Whitney - no,too much given away
4.Kozlov for Staal - no,Kozlov is declining
5.Lehtinen for GoGo & Pesonen - no,i dont want no more rentals,who are gone after..
6.Gaborik yes - but for who - Staal and Satan?
7.Nash - 1000% yes,but Jackets wont trade him.. Only if we give them Crosby maybe..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,460
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:20 pm

Zach6668 wrote:I only read up to the Antropov part, and honestly, this needs to be said.

I don't think anyone on this board has ever seen Antropov play.

:lol: You're probably.

I've mentioned this before. If people think that Staal and Gogo [/i]need[/i] to be traded, I'd look at St. Louis with Brad Boyes being the main focus.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,362
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby maudineormsby on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 pm

columbia wrote:I'd love to see Kozlov in PGH, but I'm afraid he doesn't do much to address the wimp factor (14) on Crosby's line.


Agreed. But I think the trade is more feasible than Kovalchuk.

Rohit wrote:there is no way in hell id want to give up staal for antropov alone straight up


No, and I'm sure there would have to be additional players, but they'd be 3rd and 4th liners most likely. Although I think TOR has the most "big trade" potential.

Mongoose87 wrote:If we trade Staal and Gogo for Antropov, I will eat a brick, then crap it out.


Maybe. Again, I don't think it would be just those players, but I do think it would involve them.

AlexPKeaton wrote:You left out my mancrush Horton!!!


Horton is signed through '13. I don't think he's on the market, at any price right now.

DelPen wrote:Lehtinen will get traded at the deadline but will be signing back with Dallas. I wouldn't mind giving up Gogo but I want a conditional 2nd rounder if Lehtinen ends up back on Dallas prior to the 2010 draft.


I agree with this entirely. Excellent point.

Zach6668 wrote:I only read up to the Antropov part, and honestly, this needs to be said.

I don't think anyone on this board has ever seen Antropov play.


I live in Michigan and have been to 2 dozen Leafs Games. I have seen him play. I stand by my assessment.

Pens4Life wrote:1. Roberts for Boucher - yes,Gary can finish his career here
2.Antropov for Staal - okey maybe,if Nik re-signs,otherwise no
3.Kovalchuk for Staal & Whitney - no,too much given away
4.Kozlov for Staal - no,Kozlov is declining
5.Lehtinen for GoGo & Pesonen - no,i dont want no more rentals,who are gone after..
6.Gaborik yes - but for who - Staal and Satan?
7.Nash - 1000% yes,but Jackets wont trade him.. Only if we give them Crosby maybe..


I have no idea who we would trade for Gaborik, and I don't even want him; I also agree totally on Nash, as you probably have read.

meecrofilm wrote:I've mentioned this before. If people think that Staal and Gogo need to be traded, I'd look at St. Louis with Brad Boyes being the main focus.


You really think that we could get Brad Boyes for Staal when Staal is an RFA? I don't. Some justification for that?
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,706
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:17 pm

I did mention Goligoski too. You can sign Staal and trade him too. Just to be clear, I'm not actually advocating doing this though.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,362
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Azkar on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:59 pm

trade for prospal
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,425
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: PFISEA

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Mike99 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:13 pm

two trades that could be realistic........... i hope.

staal, gogo, and a 2nd to the wild for gaborik and miettinen.
or
staal, gogo or whitney, peso, and a 1st to florida for booth,horton, bouwmeester.
Mike99
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Duquesne

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Stanley Is My Middle Name on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:43 am

This might sound completely out of left field, but here goes: I know it's within the division, but what about Staal for Kyle Okposo and Doug Weight? The Isles have nobody at any position except an injured goalie and no face to their rebuilding franchise. Ricky D doesn't count. He's getting to be as injury-prone as Gaborik. It's hard to be a face of the franchise from the press box.

Okposo is a 7th overall pick on his first contract and will likely develop into that Lucic-type bull of a power winger that Crosby needs. Unlike all these other trade proposals, this guy still has an upside. Granted it's not as much as Staal, but if we let Staal go on an offer sheet in the summer, we get no established players back, only picks, and no immediate help for Crosby. The best part is Okposo is at the league minimum for 2 more years.

As for Weight: he's nearly a point a game guy even at his age. He's a center who can play the wing. He still has good wheels to play a top-6 role. He brings that vet leadership we need. He is a proven playoff performer with 72 points in 92 games, and if he does suck (which I doubt) we can just let him walk as a UFA. We could insert him on either Crosby or Malkin's line. He can add some punch to the second powerplay unit (which we sorely need) and even take some draws if needed.

The Isles, despite their previous stupidity, probably won't let KO go without getting an established young player in return. Maybe we could get him for one of our D, but I don't think so. The Isles also want to re-build and thus shed their vets to contenders.

As for minuses...I know we'd have to play Staal 6 times a year in the future, but both teams get something they need out of this deal.

Thoughts?
Stanley Is My Middle Name
 

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Malkin0017 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:44 am

two trades that could be realistic........... i hope.

staal, gogo, and a 2nd to the wild for gaborik and miettinen.
or
staal, gogo or whitney, peso, and a 1st to florida for booth,horton, bouwmeester.


Do you have the munchies yet?? :pop:
Malkin0017
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Run's House

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:46 am

Stanley Is My Middle Name wrote:This might sound completely out of left field, but here goes: I know it's within the division, but what about Staal for Kyle Okposo and Doug Weight? The Isles have nobody at any position except an injured goalie and no face to their rebuilding franchise. Ricky D doesn't count. He's getting to be as injury-prone as Gaborik. It's hard to be a face of the franchise from the press box.

Okposo is a 7th overall pick on his first contract and will likely develop into that Lucic-type bull of a power winger that Crosby needs. Unlike all these other trade proposals, this guy still has an upside. Granted it's not as much as Staal, but if we let Staal go on an offer sheet in the summer, we get no established players back, only picks, and no immediate help for Crosby. The best part is Okposo is at the league minimum for 2 more years.

As for Weight: he's nearly a point a game guy even at his age. He's a center who can play the wing. He still has good wheels to play a top-6 role. He brings that vet leadership we need. He is a proven playoff performer with 72 points in 92 games, and if he does suck (which I doubt) we can just let him walk as a UFA. We could insert him on either Crosby or Malkin's line. He can add some punch to the second powerplay unit (which we sorely need) and even take some draws if needed.

The Isles, despite their previous stupidity, probably won't let KO go without getting an established young player in return. Maybe we could get him for one of our D, but I don't think so. The Isles also want to re-build and thus shed their vets to contenders.

As for minuses...I know we'd have to play Staal 6 times a year in the future, but both teams get something they need out of this deal.

Thoughts?


It's not horrible...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,966
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:02 am

Rohit wrote:there is no way in hell id want to give up staal for antropov alone straight up

Burke would probably deal him for good prospects and high picks. He will be wanting picks to re-build the team his way.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:03 am

maudineormsby wrote:Okay, I wanted to throw something special out there for my 1100th post, since 1000 was wasted complaining about mojo in the GDT.

I've been thinking through trade scenarios. I think that the market will be very difficult because the West has more "bubble" teams than the East (CLS, LA, MIN, DAL, NSH, EDM). In the East it appears that there will be 4 sellers: NYI, ATL, TBL and OTT. Also, TOR has basically announced that they're changing their roster to be bigger and more physical. In the West, I would expect STL to be selling, as well as at least two other teams, although LA won't be one of them no matter what, so if they end up in the Basement, forget it.

So, who do we really have a shot at getting? Here are some trade scenarios I think could be plausibly considered. Before you start saying "We should never trade X" remember that you have to give something up to get something, and with a smaller trade market this year (as I explained why I think this above), prices could be higher.

-----------------

Roberts (TB) to PIT for Boucher -- I think this trade just makes sense. The cap hits are similar, Roberts is probably done after this year, while Boucher is not. Boucher brings a veteran presence on D, which TB needs DESPERATELY, and they could probably re-sign him. If they could get a verbal agreement or something ahead of time, then I think this trade could go through. Injured or not, I want Roberts on the Pens. He's got grit, determination, and he is NOT soff.

Antropov (TOR) to PIT -- I think Staal would have to be involved in this trade, and PIT would want to make sure that we got a contract hammered out so we didn't get burned, but Antropov is big and physical, and Staal would help TOR on the two-way play that they need. We're probably stuck bundling in Goligoski or Letang to help their D, but if Eaton were enough for them, I'd pull the trigger. We could probably afford him long term, as well.

Kovalchuk (ATL) to PIT -- Yeah, the holy grail of trades. ATL has been willing to make moves with big players, but Kovalchuk is signed through next year. That complicates things somewhat. I think Whitney would have to be involved in a trade for Kovalchuk to free up cap room. ATL is deep enough on D that I'm not sure they'd take Eaton, but I'm betting they'd love to have Whitney and not re-sign Schneider. I'm thinking Whitney/Staal for Kovalchuk could conceivably happen. I don't think we'll get a Hossa-like deal since he's signed through '10.

Kozlov (ATL) to PIT -- The trade I prefer, instead of Kovalchuk, is for Kozlov. Sure he's old and declining, but he has great hands and is affordable. Also signed through next year. I'm not sure what the trade would be, but I'm betting Staal is involved. That said, probably not much else would be needed. ATL is not that deep at C. Has a NTC, so he'd have to waive it.

Lehtinen to PIT -- Unlikely because Lehtinen has never played for anyone besides DAL, and has a NTC. I don't think he'd waive it, but I think DAL will want to move him for Defensive depth if they aren't looking at a playoff run. Goligoski could be a good chip here; plus someone intriguing like Pesonen.

Some others...

Gaborik -- I don't think this makes sense because of who we would have to move to open cap room. Even if we only had him from the dealine we'd need to open over 1 Million in cap room because we don't have anything right now. It's not worth trading Whitney to get Gaborik; he's just too brittle.

Nash -- Signed through next year and the heart and soul of the CLS franchise. Also, he's their entire marketing effort. If they traded him I think they'd have a mutiny on their hands (and they almost already do). Everyone in CLS seems to think that the team is going to KC. Sounds familiar.


Anyone have any other ideas? I'd love to hear them.


Staal + Letang/Goligoski for Antropov? Don't make me puke. He's not freaking Hossa, and Hossa didn't land that good of a package.

Staal for Koslov is also just gross. No effing way.

Lehtinen's not happening

Nash isn't happening

Just say no to Gaborik, guy wouldn't play a single playoff game for us.

I'd ship Satan + TB's 3rd to Edmonton for Cole. He's not fitting in there and is the type of guy the Pens need.

Also I'd look at T. Ruutu and consider sending a prospect + a pick to Carolina for him.

And call me crazy, but I wouldn't do Whitney + Staal for Kovalchuk. Staal + Goligoski, sure. But I think Whitney's signed to far too good of a contract and is far too valuable for this team.

If the Pens are willing to give up any of their better assets (Goligoski, Staal) I'd be looking to younger guys like Booth or Horton.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,438
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:35 am

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:46 am

didn't your original post say toronto wants to get bigger and grittier? i doubt trading the 6'6 antropov would be a help to that
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,321
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby KewellHandLuke on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:49 am

I think the Pens have to look at potential and high risk/high reward type players instead of high priced, older, more established wingers ... this usually ignites instant flaming from most posters here, but this board also has some of the most intelligent hockey fans around too.

I wanted the Pens to go after Boyes a few years ago when he wasn't putting up big numbers yet based on his chemistry with Sid during their years together on the Canadian Junior team ... although, thinking about it now, I'll be honest and say that maybe it wasn't Boyes on his wing??? Not sure if Boyes or Okposo are anymore available than Nash (who isn't at all) ... but with Eller, Perron, etc. in STL, maybe the Blues make a move???

Over the past 2 years, I was screaming for Kessel (who probably could've been had) and Zherdev ... talented players who don't meet instant expectations often just need a new start (unless named Daigle or Stefan). Heck, even Ryder may have been worth a shot.

I'm not sure who exactly fits this description now, but what about a guy like Bobby Ryan? Cheap, young, huge upside, and can grow with this team. He may not be the instant impact guy for this year, but may be a better choice for the next 5 years or so.

I think Kennedy and hopefully Caputi and play on the top 2 lines in the next few years, but they need at least one reliable scoring wing.
KewellHandLuke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:25 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:15 am

Stanley Is My Middle Name wrote:This might sound completely out of left field, but here goes: I know it's within the division, but what about Staal for Kyle Okposo and Doug Weight? The Isles have nobody at any position except an injured goalie and no face to their rebuilding franchise. Ricky D doesn't count. He's getting to be as injury-prone as Gaborik. It's hard to be a face of the franchise from the press box.

Okposo is a 7th overall pick on his first contract and will likely develop into that Lucic-type bull of a power winger that Crosby needs. Unlike all these other trade proposals, this guy still has an upside. Granted it's not as much as Staal, but if we let Staal go on an offer sheet in the summer, we get no established players back, only picks, and no immediate help for Crosby. The best part is Okposo is at the league minimum for 2 more years.

As for Weight: he's nearly a point a game guy even at his age. He's a center who can play the wing. He still has good wheels to play a top-6 role. He brings that vet leadership we need. He is a proven playoff performer with 72 points in 92 games, and if he does suck (which I doubt) we can just let him walk as a UFA. We could insert him on either Crosby or Malkin's line. He can add some punch to the second powerplay unit (which we sorely need) and even take some draws if needed.

The Isles, despite their previous stupidity, probably won't let KO go without getting an established young player in return. Maybe we could get him for one of our D, but I don't think so. The Isles also want to re-build and thus shed their vets to contenders.

As for minuses...I know we'd have to play Staal 6 times a year in the future, but both teams get something they need out of this deal.

Thoughts?


Okposo is very interesting player,but Weight hm.. i dont know if he still got wheels to play alongside Geno or Sid. i dont know-and he is UFA also? maybe if he signed thru next season atleast.. but another rental deal.. i would skip it
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,460
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby SaijinSatch on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:25 am

all of this trade talk is near nauseating.. read the original post in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30852

nuff said
SaijinSatch
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby luvnmypens on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:58 pm

Someone called the Madden show last night with this senerio. Crazy, but if it could be done, wow!

Staal and Whitney for Heatley.
luvnmypens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:03 pm

luvnmypens wrote:Someone called the Madden show last night with this senerio. Crazy, but if it could be done, wow!

Staal and Whitney for Heatley.

Add in Vermette or Shubert and we have instant grit upgrade.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Trade Scenarios

Postby K2 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:05 pm

I don't wanna deplete the farm, but I'm sure a package for Antropov including Caputi would certainly intrigue Burke. Luca's a Brian Burke-type player. I'd rather him blossom here with the Pens though
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,898
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Kuhnhackl's German Army

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

e-mail