12/30/08 Official GDT - Bruins @ Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 12/30/08 Official GDT - Bruins @ Penguins

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 am

Does anyone have the actual quotes? This is the only one I've seen so far:

"First of all, it's about time they had a meeting. You have to show some leadership. I just found out a minute ago they had a meeting. If I was a player I would have called a meeting. I'm interested to see what comes of this."

I'm going to refrain from discussing the "team cancer" issue because I don't want to single out one guy if one guy hasn't been singled out.

I'm actually glad to see that things are reaching a boiling point. I'm the last guy to get into a panic over things, for one it's just not that important in the grand scheme of life, and two I fully believe things will be fine in the end, but they've been outright frustrating and not fun to watch for a while now. Regardles of the injuries and the schedule, this team is better than most on paper. There's no excuse for them to be fighting with having the right focus and intensity and work ethic all season long. Enough's enough. Hopefully they've finally hit the point where they're going to start playing like they understand that instead of repeating about how embarrassed they are, how their play isn't acceptable, etc.
Last edited by Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 am

Mark of the beast
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 am

id say let someone define the top 6 forward lines individually..... i wanna hear someone elses view
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 am

Therrien said some players are concerned about "personal agendas." Sid said something about "closed doors." Brooks inferred that they can't just let Sid and Gino do all the work. That's really the bulk of the interview comments
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:22 am

scals37 wrote:id say let someone define the top 6 forward lines individually..... i wanna hear someone elses view

Staal was the wild card coming into this year. He was going to "replace Malone" and play LW with Malkin and Sykora which would leave Crosby to play with Satan and Fedotenko (which isn't good either)...But Staal ineptness offensively has put this team in a big hole. They have too many 3rd and 4th line players and not enough 1st and 2nd line players...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:24 am

meecrofilm wrote:Therrien said some players are concerned about "personal agendas." Sid said something about "closed doors." Brooks inferred that they can't just let Sid and Gino do all the work. That's really the bulk of the interview comments

Thanks. I think we can drop the talk about their being a singular cancer on the team, which makes sense anyway because it's obvious that this is a team-wide issue and not one guy bringing things down.

Like I said, enough's enough. Players only closed door meetings are a boiling point situation and it's necessary. If they don't respond to this and start playing, I think the only logical answer is that they're trying to get Therrien fired.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:26 am

Henry Hank wrote:Thanks. I think we can drop the talk about their being a singular cancer on the team, which makes sense anyway because it's obvious that this is a team-wide issue and not one guy bringing things down.

Like I said, enough's enough. Players only closed door meetings are a boiling point situation and it's necessary. If they don't respond to this and start playing, I think the only logical answer is that they're trying to get Therrien fired.

That has crossed my mind on numerous occasions in the past couple of weeks.
Last edited by Burnaby_Joe on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:26 am

KG wrote:
scals37 wrote:id say let someone define the top 6 forward lines individually..... i wanna hear someone elses view

Staal was the wild card coming into this year. He was going to "replace Malone" and play LW with Malkin and Sykora which would leave Crosby to play with Satan and Fedotenko (which isn't good either)...But Staal ineptness offensively has put this team in a big hole. They have too many 3rd and 4th line players and not enough 1st and 2nd line players...

Staal's on a ~25 goal pace and that's mostly as a third liner with only a little bit of PP time mixed in. He's fine. He's on pace for a career year. Do people really have to jump on him by default all the time? He's hardly been inept offensively. And offense is not the main issue. This team is giving up WAY too many shots and WAY too many goals. They don't have the commitment to defense and work that they had in the playoffs.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:26 am

KG wrote:

I completely agree. Staal really needs replaced at this point. Either this team waits for him to develop (but still pay him his money), or they trade him for someone who can help right now.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:29 am

Henry Hank wrote:
KG wrote:

Staal's on a ~25 goal pace and that's mostly as a third liner with only a little bit of PP time mixed in. He's fine. He's on pace for a career year. Do people really have to jump on him by default all the time? He's hardly been inept offensively. And offense is not the main issue. This team is giving up WAY too many shots and WAY too many goals. They don't have the commitment to defense and work that they had in the playoffs.

HH, no offense but throwing out Staal's stats means about as much to me as Satan's stats...Stats don't always state the quality of game the player is playing..Both Staal and Satan have absolutely killed this team this year. I have no problem saying that...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:31 am

".....this is a young group, alot of those guys are learning, learning through adversity, for sure results have disappointed, but you have to start thinking about the team concept, not personal agenda, lets start from there, team concept, is the most important thing for any hockey team, and the personal agenda, goal, on the list priority for players should be the last one , and right now the priority is not in the right place...."
Last edited by viva la ben on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 am

Stats are necessary because I think statements like that are nonsense. And I really mean no offense to you by that. By no measure will anyone convince me that Staal has been bad this year. Given what is expected from him and he's current place on his development track, he's fine. There's no reason Staal or Satan should be the ones getting called out all the time when it's obvious that this is a TEAM problem where everyone on the TEAM is getting outworked on a game by game basis.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby scals37 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 am

whatever my attempt at making a decent convo is wasted much like this teams freaking effort...... i feel as much remorse posting on here lately as watching the games lately..... just cant help but do it i guess
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby passmaster16 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:33 am

What concerns me is when I hear from one of your leaders that your team isn't prepared enough
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 2headedmonster8771 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:34 am

My viewing of our top 6

Dupuis-Sid-Satan

As of right now, Dupuis is playing the best hockey ever as a Penguin. His slap shot is scary good. He's fast as hell out there, and he hustles every shift. He doesn't possess the greatest hockey skills, but I believe, atleast for now, he's an acceptable winger for Sid. Satan is the cancer on this line. He doesn't provide anything to it. He's slow, soft, and plays with zero enthuiasm and zero passion. He has 12 goals on the year and half of them have been on the power play...pretty much shoveling in a rebound from within 5 feet. Has he made ONE hit this year? Has he done anything other than completely float out there? He never gets open for Sid...he's no doubt Shero's worst acquisition (sp?) of the past year. It's basically Sid and Dupuis out there by themselves.

Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora

A decent line. Not killing us...its hard to bash Sykora because you gotta love the guy. He does bring his all every game, but he is no doubt past his prime. Like Satan, not a physical presence at all and gets knocked off the puck easily. Having said that he has a great shot and finds ways to get open, and is not the problem with this team at all. Fedotenko...he played poorly at the beginning of the year but has start to pick it up as of late. He still isnt a top 2 winger pairing though. He's a 3rd liner being asked to do a job he simply cant do.

There is no doubt that we are a compltely different team with Kovalchuk or somebody else instead of Satan on the 1st line.
2headedmonster8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:36 am

viva la ben wrote:".....this is a young group, alot of those guys are learning, learning through adversity, for sure results have disappointed, but you have to start thinking about the team concept, not personal agenda, lets start from there, team concept, is the most important thing for any hockey team, and the personal agenda, goal, on the list priority for players should be the last one , and right now the priority is not in the right place...."

I'm really disappointed in myself to let myself be duped into thinking he called someone out. He's very clearly calling the team out. Some people just can't help but try to blow things out of proportion, and thinking back it looked like people just wanted another reason to jump on the usual whipping boys.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby passmaster16 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:38 am

Henry Hank wrote:
viva la ben wrote:".....this is a young group, alot of those guys are learning, learning through adversity, for sure results have disappointed, but you have to start thinking about the team concept, not personal agenda, lets start from there, team concept, is the most important thing for any hockey team, and the personal agenda, goal, on the list priority for players should be the last one , and right now the priority is not in the right place...."

I'm really disappointed in myself to let myself be duped into thinking he called someone out. He's very clearly calling the team out. Some people just can't help but try to blow things out of proportion, and thinking back it looked like people just wanted another reason to jump on the usual whipping boys.

How do we know his intent? Not even MT is going to call out one particular player. He did make a generalization in the presser but only him and the players know who it was really directed it.
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:39 am

After tonight's performance, I'll say that Satan is a healthy scratch in Boston...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:40 am

passmaster16 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:

How do we know his intent? Not even MT is going to call out one particular player. He did make a generalization in the presser but only him and the players know who it was really directed it.

For sure. I just think it's pretty odd that immediately this thread blew up into people wondering who the "cancer" was, which of course the consensus agreeing it is Satan. I'm not even trying to defend Satan or anyone else here really. To me, it's pretty clear that no one on the team is playing smart or working as hard as they should be, and every quote from Therrien I've seen tonight seems to say that he's directing this at the entire team, which is the way it appears it should be on the surface.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:43 am

The fact that Satan can't make the Top Unit Power Play pretty much marks his play as a failure.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby scals37 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:44 am

i fail to see satans aging talent..... i was never a fan of his, and personally he was never destined to be a the kind of blue collar pittsburgh player we demand
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby passmaster16 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:45 am

Henry Hank wrote:
passmaster16 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I'm really disappointed in myself to let myself be duped into thinking he called someone out. He's very clearly calling the team out. Some people just can't help but try to blow things out of proportion, and thinking back it looked like people just wanted another reason to jump on the usual whipping boys.

For sure. I just think it's pretty odd that immediately this thread blew up into people wondering who the "cancer" was, which of course the consensus agreeing it is Satan. I'm not even trying to defend Satan or anyone else here really. To me, it's pretty clear that no one on the team is playing smart or working as hard as they should be, and every quote from Therrien I've seen tonight seems to say that he's directing this at the entire team, which is the way it appears it should be on the surface.

I just don't think we can assume anything. We're not in the locker room. True nobody on this team has been playing well. But it is not uncommon for a coach to make a generalization but at the same time intent to send a message to specific player or players. His quote addressed that the team attitude is too focused on personal accomplishments. Would the majority of the guys on the team not be team players? Possibly, but that statement could be directed towards a certain group or an individual. I'm not saying it is or it isn't, just that it could be the case either way.
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:45 am

Henry Hank wrote:Thanks. I think we can drop the talk about their being a singular cancer on the team, which makes sense anyway because it's obvious that this is a team-wide issue and not one guy bringing things down.

You definitely can. I watched the post-game before deleting tonight game on the hard drive, and Therrien didn't use any singular references when talking about team concept vs. personal goals. It was always "they" or "them." And not once did he say anything about a cancer in the room.

In my opinion, he seemed a little disappointed that the players hadn't called a closed door meeting sooner, and at the same time almost seemed relieved it had happened. I also got the impression this current malaise is wearing him down a bit. He had the look of a guy that isn't sure what button to push next. If true, I can't say as I blame him. The coaches can only tell them what they should be doing so many times. It's up to them to wake up and actually do it.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:48 am

The next games will tell the tale. If they come out and play like the team we know that should be, I think maybe we can look at this meeting as being a turning point. If they continue to lay eggs, I have to think that they simply are done listening to Therrien and are in the process of getting him to the chopping block.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am

Henry Hank wrote:The next games will tell the tale. If they come out and play like the team we know that should be, I think maybe we can look at this meeting as being a turning point. If they continue to lay eggs, I have to think that they simply are done listening to Therrien and are in the process of getting him to the chopping block.

Agreed...This next game will show what type of leadership is on this team and if they want to fight or just pin it on the coach...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins