12/30/08 Official GDT - Bruins @ Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 12/30/08 Official GDT - Bruins @ Penguins

Postby passmaster16 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 am

I was surprised. For some reason I had thought they had a closed door meeting already. I do think the next few games will be important. I'd have to think that Shero is going to have MT on a short leash regardless of his previous statement. I know about the injuries and such but for a team to not even show some effort, there is no excuse. And as always, right or wrong, the coach is usually the one that has to pay. They can't fire the whole team.
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 am

HH, Don't forget a lot of people were saying that last year too, when MT had his "still early in dee season" presser, and the players held a closed door meeting as well around that time.

So basically, who knows.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 am

"It was Colonel Mustard, in the Ballroom, with the Lead Pipe."
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:52 am

KG wrote:After tonight's performance, I'll say that Satan is a healthy scratch in Boston...

I agree.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cojac on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:53 am

Changes for the next game:
Caputi-Crosby-Dupuis
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Wallace
Talbot-Jeffrey-Godard

Orpik-Whitney
Gill-Letang*If healthy
Goligoski-Scuderi

Scratches
Satan
Eaton
Boucher
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:54 am

littlemoonboot wrote:"It was Colonel Mustard, in the Ballroom, with the Lead Pipe."

Nah it was definitely in the bedroom. Cuz this team has been sleeping for way too long.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:54 am

Im so mad right now.

If I saw therrien I'd shave all of his hair, If I saw Mike YEO WHATS UP, I'd pour CHIA PET POWDER ON HIS HEAD AND EYEBROWS....freakin creep.

:)
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:55 am

cojac wrote:Changes for the next game:
Caputi-Crosby-Dupuis
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Wallace
Talbot-Jeffrey-Godard

Orpik-Whitney
Gill-Letang*If healthy
Goligoski-Scuderi

Scratches
Satan
Eaton
Boucher

Fine by me...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:59 am

Caputi on Thursday obviously isn't happening, nor do I think he's the answer right now (No, JK jokes ). But ever since hiss slow start, he's been scoring at a pretty regular clip, so I'd expect he'd one of the next to be called-up when that happens. Jeffrey and Wallace look to have a future on the team.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bathgate on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:00 am

The Pens have 4 players drafted number 1 or 2 overall. Three of the four have clearly been disappointing this season, Malkin being the exception. That is HUGE. And even Malkin is underachieving on the PP. They are all veterans now, even Staal. It's up to them to pick up the 2nd tier players, not the other way around. Two years ago, Andy Hilbert and Colby Armstrong looked like snipers on Sid's wing. Now nobody does. Great goaltending gives a team confidence in all areas. Fleury's save percentage was 24th among goalies before tonight. The Devil's game aside, he has been quite mediocre. The stars have to perform or the team cannot win.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:04 am

Karl_Racki wrote:
Matthew Monstar wrote:Im so mad right now.

If I saw therrien I'd shave all of his hair, If I saw Mike YEO WHATS UP, I'd pour CHIA PET POWDER ON HIS HEAD AND EYEBROWS....freakin creep.

:)

Yeah cause this is all their fault..

I think it's karl rackis fault cause hes jealous Miss McGill didnt let him have Hot Tea with her ;)
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:06 am

Orpik's comments also seem to absolve any one person being singled out, and it seems to take Crosby and Malkin off any perceived hook:

"It comes down to team attitude really and the preparation, or lack of preparation, we're putting in as a team. I think the attitude is a little off from where it has to be. I don't know. I mean, it's easy to be a good teammate when you're winning games. When you're going through rough patches, this is where is kind of tests guys' character and your true colors kind of show."

"When you're not winning games, it's easy for guys to kind of hang their head and wait for the next guy to step up and do things. I think that's when you get in trouble, when you're just waiting for one guy or two guys to carry us. It's not going to work that way in this league with the parity the league's created. I don't know what else to say."
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:07 am

netwolf wrote:Orpik's comments also seem to absolve any one person being singled out, and it seems to take Crosby and Malkin off any perceived hook:

"It comes down to team attitude really and the preparation, or lack of preparation, we're putting in as a team. I think the attitude is a little off from where it has to be. I don't know. I mean, it's easy to be a good teammate when you're winning games. When you're going through rough patches, this is where is kind of tests guys' character and your true colors kind of show."

"When you're not winning games, it's easy for guys to kind of hang their head and wait for the next guy to step up and do things. I think that's when you get in trouble, when you're just waiting for one guy or two guys to carry us. It's not going to work that way in this league with the parity the league's created. I don't know what else to say."

I love that he's trying to be a leader. Give him the "A" again in January, and lay one on Talbot too.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby passmaster16 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:07 am

Yes, the lack of preparation comment is interesting.
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:08 am

We've been seeing quotes like that from players all year, maybe not to that extent but the refrain of the attitude being off, not being prepared, etc. has been sung all year. I really really hope this time they actually take it to heart. I have a hard time understanding how these guys can let themselves be embarrassed time after time this year and still not get it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby passmaster16 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:11 am

Henry Hank wrote:I have a hard time understanding how these guys can let themselves be embarrassed time after time this year and still not get it.

Unless they're trying to get the coach fired.
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:11 am

The supporting cast has too much superstaritis. They rely on Malkin and Crosby too much...typical when you have stars playing with supporting players...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:25 am

Henry Hank wrote:The next games will tell the tale. If they come out and play like the team we know that should be, I think maybe we can look at this meeting as being a turning point. If they continue to lay eggs, I have to think that they simply are done listening to Therrien and are in the process of getting him to the chopping block.

I think they've been in that process since the beginning of this month.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:34 am

How I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that locker room. I just want to know why players aren't standing up and demanding 110 percent effort. Even the so called leaders aren't even doing anything. (It seems they aren't at least, none of us really know what happens) Do Cooke and Staal even say anything in between the locker rooms? At this point its almost as if no one has the right to tell anyone else to work harder, because they aren't working themselves.

I don't get it. They have Crosby, Orpik, Whitney, Cooke, etc. These players have to lead by example, and then get everyone rallied to play. How long is this not working crap going to go on for? I've been patient for them to come around and wake up, but it just hasn't happened. I can wait a little longer, but I'm nearly to the point where I think something has to be done. We can talk about rough patches all we want, but it's gotten to the point where the players simply aren't focused and aren't working during games. It's gone on for over a month. There has to be a change when your players show no passion for that long a period of time.

I still have all the faith that this team will pull through, but right now it is not showing. There is nothing wrong for a diehard fan to expect or want his or her team from competing every night. There's nothing wrong for a fan to question the management or personel when a team as talented as the Penguins are not performing.

There seem to be 3 types of fans. Bandwagoners who freak out over every game or every move made. The more rational fan who continues to say everything will be alright. I'm the type of fan that understands that things can and will get better, while also being able to criticize what has been taking place. Personally, I'm tired of the rational fan.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:40 am

You are being the rational fan. It's irrational to think that nothing is wrong. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt earlier this month with all the injuries and the compacted schedule, but it's clear that the problem is that they're not working, not playing as a team, whatever. Something is wrong, as evidenced by the fact that they called a players only meeting. Now we'll see where this goes. My hope, and what I believe will be the case, is that they'll beat this adversity, begin their run back towards the top of the standings, and eventually be better off for having gone through this. But it has to start. If they keep loafing and repeating the refrain, they aren't going anywhere this season. Thankfully, there are still over three months of hockey left to be played.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:45 am

Rational doesn't equate to having your head in the sand IMO. Rational posters are my favorite kind because they have the rare ability to see other sides to an issue, they rarely speak in absolutes, and are level-headed.

Extremism (either positive or negative) drives me crazy.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:50 am

Henry Hank wrote:You are being the rational fan. It's irrational to think that nothing is wrong. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt earlier this month with all the injuries and the compacted schedule, but it's clear that the problem is that they're not working, not playing as a team, whatever. Something is wrong, as evidenced by the fact that they called a players only meeting. Now we'll see where this goes. My hope, and what I believe will be the case, is that they'll beat this adversity, begin their run back towards the top of the standings, and eventually be better off for having gone through this. But it has to start. If they keep loafing and repeating the refrain, they aren't going anywhere this season. Thankfully, there are still over three months of hockey left to be played.

You are right. As netwolf pointed out, I incorrectly worded rational for an overly positive type fan. I would then categorize the 3rd type of fan as a more rational type, such as myself.

Something is clearly wrong believe me. Through this past month I have tried to be rational from chalking it up to injuries and the thought that they will come around. At the same time I always realized what was wrong and have always been able to criticize the fact that there has been something wrong. I just hate when people say.."It's only December, give them time." They do this without admiting that a problem has occured. This would be the overly optimistic type fan. The fact of the matter is they aren't working, and haven't been for some time. That is a major problem.

I always enjoy your posts HH and have almost always agreed with your views throughout this season. You always recognize the Penguins problems, while still keeping a level head. It's nice to find people like that who don't automatically jump off the bridge.
Last edited by Daniel87 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:51 am

I didn't see the 3rd period tonight. After two, the Pens looked fine. Down a goal, yes, but not out of the game, and frankly, except for being outshot as usual, they seemed to be controlling the transition game much more than Boston. They just can't get anything going in the offensive zone once they get there, whereas Boston it seems gets a decent shot off every time they enter the zone...

So what happened in the 3rd? I really don't need to ask, as it's likely the same thing that's been happening all year. The Pens right now are missing leadership. They're missing the will to prove they are the better team. This team lacks the cohesiveness it had last season. Hopefully, Whitney will be a presence in the lockerroom. As I think he was missed there besides on the ice.

Therrien looks like he's out of options. As Netwolf said earlier, he doesn't seem to know which button to push, because the players aren't responding on their own. I don't blame him, but when a coach has nothing to fall back on, it bodes not well. I'm glad he's stuck with a more consistent gameplan through these rough patches rather than changing things up all the time, as it puts the honus on the players to find their own game. But now Shero has to find some way to shake this team up. Maybe it needs more veteran leadership? Maybe it needs a younger coach? I don't know. I guess we'll see if RS does.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:54 am

netwolf wrote:Rational doesn't equate to having your head in the sand IMO. Rational posters are my favorite kind because they have the rare ability to see other sides to an issue, they rarely speak in absolutes, and are level-headed.

Extremism (either positive or negative) drives me crazy.

You are right. I worded the types of fans incorrectly. Exremism is a very good way to put it. So according to that I would categorize myself as a rational fan.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:56 am

I don't think the players aren't working, as the refrain goes. I think actually they are approaching this like a day job... What they're not doing is going that extra mile. No one out there is (except maybe Malkin, and things are starting to rub off on him) is willing to die for their teammate. They don't have that all or nothing attitude.

Now if that's not enough cliche's, I'm sure we'll hear some more in the soundbites tomorrow from the players.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins