If you were coach/GM what would you do?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: If you were coach/GM what would you do?

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 pm

Daniel87 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:I wish we could fire RS instead of MT. MT is not the problem, RS's horrendous offseason is.

Ray Shero is the least of our problems.

Who signed Satan? Who drafted Staal when we already had 2 superstar centers?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 pm

KC_PENS_FAN wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:I wish we could fire RS instead of MT. MT is not the problem, RS's horrendous offseason is.

You should be fired.

Ray Shero has been one of the best GM's in the NHL and he'll continue to be. There's not much he can do right now.

I wasn't too happy with the offseason though.

Neither was I, but I don't blame Shero for that...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dman66 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:18 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
KG wrote:I'd make a minor move now...I'd sign Shanahan. He brings a veteran presence, some much needed leadership to the team and a forward who can score some goals...

Just do it already...

I believe the Penguins were one of the teams Shanahan wanted to sign with in the off-season, but Shero didn't budge.

i dont know if i'd bring him in. he was already slowing down a bit, and couple that with the fact that he hasn't played half a season. i just think guys like him at this point, if they haven't played, wouldn't make the impact right away
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby D-Block Pens Fan on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:19 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:

You should be fired.

Ray Shero has been one of the best GM's in the NHL and he'll continue to be. There's not much he can do right now.

Shero made a play for Hossa. It didn't work, but I think the team will be better in the long run without Hossa. He would have tied up too much cap room. I guess not if he took the deal he got in Detroit though.

After Hossa passed Shero's options were limited. Give him credit for keeping the spending down so that we have the opening to pick up someone this year once he sees how everyone is playing.
D-Block Pens Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dman66 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:20 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:

who would you have wanted him to pick? toews is a center. backstroms a center. hell, even kessel was a center coming out of college. so who would you have picked then?
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:23 pm

Nobody has mentioned that guy from Dallas...surprised...
pronovost19
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KC_PENS_FAN on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:23 pm

D-Block Pens Fan wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

You should be fired.

Shero made a play for Hossa. It didn't work, but I think the team will be better in the long run without Hossa. He would have tied up too much cap room. I guess not if he took the deal he got in Detroit though.

After Hossa passed Shero's options were limited. Give him credit for keeping the spending down so that we have the opening to pick up someone this year once he sees how everyone is playing.

Half way point is almost here and the team is struggling like crazy...he should make that "move" sooner rather than March 2(or whenever the trade deadline is)
KC_PENS_FAN
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Nobody has mentioned that guy from Dallas...surprised...

Never...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 pm

dman66 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:

who would you have wanted him to pick? toews is a center. backstroms a center. hell, even kessel was a center coming out of college. so who would you have picked then?

Would you take Staal ahead of either of those 3 at this point?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Killiecrankie on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 pm

There is no quick fix, this team is **** for this year. I would try and put feelers out to see if there are any takers on a mid range deal, Maybe adding Tsuchuk (Spelling I know) from STL

In the offseason I would resign Sykora, trade Staal on draft day. Resign Gonchar. Look to add picks and try and get some cheap talent in the pipeline because next season we are going to have zero cap room. Trade Mark Eaton
Killiecrankie

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:28 pm

The only thing to do is keep working and hope. Hope that this team isn't Ottawa circa 2007-2008, and hope that it is more like DET circa 2000-2008. Let the SCF hangover work itself out. Accept the fatigue, the complete lack of tactical righteousness, and the losses.

It doesn't matter if Gonchar, TK, Godard, et al are hurt/out. All lines are totally ineffective because they:

1) Refuse to keep the puck
2) Refuse to shoot
3) Refuse to pressure between the circles in the offensive end
4) Refuse to pressure opposing puck carriers in the d end.
5) Continue to sprint away from the puck carrier coming through neutral, which forces a turnover nearly every time.

Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Antropov, etc. will not fix 3 lines of ineptitude.

Wait and hope.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dman66 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:28 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
dman66 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

that has nothing to do with what you said. you said why draft staal when you have 2 superstar centers. well, lets see. one, malkin had yet to play a game in the nhl, so to call him a superstar at that point is a bit presumptious. and all the other guys are centers as well, so they would be in the same spot as staal. drafting 18 year olds is a crap shoot. after year one, staal was on top. after year four, five, six, who knows who will be the best
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:30 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:

Who brought in Gary Roberts and Laraque 2 years ago? Who brought in Hossa last year? Who signed Tank and Cooke this offseason? (they've both played well) When he signed Satan he didn't have many options left for a winger for Sid. Would you have rather him bring back Malone for 6 million a year? What would you have done differently considering their cap situation?
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:31 pm

KG wrote:I'd make a minor move now...I'd sign Shanahan. He brings a veteran presence, some much needed leadership to the team and a forward who can score some goals...

Just do it already...

I like the Shanny idea in March if we still have a shot...he will be fresher for the playoffs
pronovost19
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:31 pm

I am fine with telling it like it is and criticizing the Pens. You can bash MT all you want...Shero is not the problem...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:33 pm

dman66 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
dman66 wrote:who would you have wanted him to pick? toews is a center. backstroms a center. hell, even kessel was a center coming out of college. so who would you have picked then?

that has nothing to do with what you said. you said why draft staal when you have 2 superstar centers. well, lets see. one, malkin had yet to play a game in the nhl, so to call him a superstar at that point is a bit presumptious. and all the other guys are centers as well, so they would be in the same spot as staal. drafting 18 year olds is a crap shoot. after year one, staal was on top. after year four, five, six, who knows who will be the best

It does not change the fact that RS chose the worst player out of the elite of that draft class. RS also drafted another center the next year in Esposito who turned out to be nothing but a throw in on a trade for a rental. I'm sick of the ridiculous RS love on this board. If people are going to blame everyone in the organization, why is RS not a target? He has made some serious blunders as GM of this team.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:37 pm

There are many drafts where top 5 guys have been complete busts. This is not the case with Staal in anyway. He is clearly right up there with the other top 5 picks. Obviously certain ones of those top 5 will excel more then others at certain times. Kessel is riding a hot streak right now. Around the time of the Wings game Staal was on a hot streak. No one can predict who will be the best player in a draft 10-20 years down the road.

Sometimes with drafts it is hit and miss. Shero clearly hit with Staal. He may not turn out to be the best, but you can't criticize him for picking potentially the 2nd or 3rd best player, and not the best. I'm still not convinced Staal won't be the best.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dman66 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:39 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
dman66 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

It does not change the fact that RS chose the worst player out of the elite of that draft class. RS also drafted another center the next year in Esposito who turned out to be nothing but a throw in on a trade for a rental. I'm sick of the ridiculous RS love on this board. If people are going to blame everyone in the organization, why is RS not a target? He has made some serious blunders as GM of this team.

he also traded said center for a guy who helped us romp through the eastern conference in the playoffs. has staal been disappointing this year? for sure. but that is no indication of how he will do in the future. and all the other guys from that draft that you mention are all playing on the first line and are key components of their teams. who knows what staal would do if he was a checking line center

has shero made mistakes? ya, every gm does. ekman, satan, recchi. but he also has done a lot of good things that just can't be ignored
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:40 pm

KG wrote:I am fine with telling it like it is and criticizing the Pens. You can bash MT all you want...Shero is not the problem...

Also, if you've attended Pens' practices, you know that MT does not coach turnover-based hockey.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KC_PENS_FAN on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:43 pm

Would you take Staal ahead of either of those 3 at this point?[/quote]

that has nothing to do with what you said. you said why draft staal when you have 2 superstar centers. well, lets see. one, malkin had yet to play a game in the nhl, so to call him a superstar at that point is a bit presumptious. and all the other guys are centers as well, so they would be in the same spot as staal. drafting 18 year olds is a crap shoot. after year one, staal was on top. after year four, five, six, who knows who will be the best[/quote]

It does not change the fact that RS chose the worst player out of the elite of that draft class. RS also drafted another center the next year in Esposito who turned out to be nothing but a throw in on a trade for a rental. I'm sick of the ridiculous RS love on this board. If people are going to blame everyone in the organization, why is RS not a target? He has made some serious blunders as GM of this team.[/quote]

I can understand the love because he has helped us get where...well...where we were last year; however, he has hurt us this year. The bottom line is he wanted to take a shot with the team he had and see where it took him...This is where the team is going and were going to continue to go; win one, lose one...if were luckey.

I will say this again. Win the Blackhawks fired Savard and brought in Quinnvillie the hawks(who were having the same problems the pens are having)turned things around...They were at 9 wins in arow before the lose to the Wings tonight. Shake things up and get a winger or two.
KC_PENS_FAN
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:43 pm

Daniel87 wrote:There are many drafts where top 5 guys have been complete busts. This is not the case with Staal in anyway. He is clearly right up there with the other top 5 picks. Obviously certain ones of those top 5 will excel more then others at certain times. Kessel is riding a hot streak right now. Around the time of the Wings game Staal was on a hot streak. No one can predict who will be the best player in a draft 10-20 years down the road.

Sometimes with drafts it is hit and miss. Shero clearly hit with Staal. He may not turn out to be the best, but you can't criticize him for picking potentially the 2nd or 3rd best player, and not the best. I'm still not convinced Staal won't be the best.

To quote Dave Mustaine, hindsight is always 20-20. So with that, would you rather have a top prospect who's playing 3rd line center with much recent and current difficult, or the winger (cough, for Sid, cough), who's got a top-line game with top-line results playing on a team without one, never mind 2, certified league stars?

I'd rather stack up the top 2 lines. Oh well. C'mon, Jordan. Game up.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Doogs on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:49 pm

Blame Whitney!!!

Fire MT!!!!

Hate on Hossa!!!

Jump off a bridge!!!

Realize the season isn't half over!!!

Wait for RS (A MUCH BETTER OPTION THAN CP) to make a deal or two!!!

Keep the faith, never give up, and understand that this might just not be our year!!!

Stupid maybe, but atleast we aren't the Dallas Cowboys!!!
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:50 pm

Eismann wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:There are many drafts where top 5 guys have been complete busts. This is not the case with Staal in anyway. He is clearly right up there with the other top 5 picks. Obviously certain ones of those top 5 will excel more then others at certain times. Kessel is riding a hot streak right now. Around the time of the Wings game Staal was on a hot streak. No one can predict who will be the best player in a draft 10-20 years down the road.

To quote Dave Mustaine, hindsight is always 20-20. So with that, would you rather have a top prospect who's playing 3rd line center with much recent and current difficult, or the winger (cough, for Sid, cough), who's got a top-line game with top-line results playing on a team without one, never mind 2, certified league stars?

I agree. If I'm MT, the time is definitely now to try Staal on the top line with Sid and Dupuis. If he's willing to take away from our other lines by putting Geno with Sid, there should be no reason for him to not do the same with Staal. Talbot or Jeffery can play 3rd line center.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Daniel87 wrote:
Eismann wrote:

I agree. If I'm MT, the time is definitely now to try Staal on the top line with Sid and Dupuis. If he's willing to take away from our other lines by putting Geno with Sid, there should be no reason for him to not do the same with Staal. Talbot or Jeffery can play 3rd line center.

This is a team that's made for that kind of lineup, esp. in the salary-cap era. Give me 3 big forwards and, offensively, I'll take my chances with the bottom 6 minding the store.

I still don't care for Geno and Sid on the same line, rs or pp, but it's MT's mo.

Could I use more acronyms?

ITN.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:00 am

To answer the OP...

You ride this out and hope things get better quick...if they don't, then you do the usual...first you make a trade, if that doesn't work, you fire the coaching staff...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins