If you were coach/GM what would you do?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: If you were coach/GM what would you do?

Postby farnham16 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:00 pm

Do whatever it takes to bring in a 1st line winger. Trade Staal, trade one of our offensive defensemen, whatever it takes. Sid looks completely lost and our only fix for our winger problem is putting Malkin on the wing. This team doesnt need Staal and doesnt need all of our puck moving defensemen. This team needs a threat on the wing.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 2headedmonster8771 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:01 pm

^^^^what he said.
2headedmonster8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 pm

KC_PENS_FAN wrote:What would you do if it were your decision?

Easy. I would hire like 100 hot women to dance in skimpy attire throughout the arena during the course of all the Penguin power plays solely to distract fans from the nightmare on the ice. Call it alternative entertainment if you will.

or;

I would give out free nachos immediately following any period in which the Penguins failed to put 5 shots on net.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:23 pm

JWill wrote:I have to disagree with you guys. I do not beleive that a 1st line winger will solve our current probems. Do we need one? Yes. Is that the current fix? No.

My reasoning is that the Pens current stuggles are the product of the team as a whole and not individual performances.

Agreed. I think the team has enough on paper to be playing much better. Which brings you to system and coaching...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 pm

I would fire the coaching. There is plenty of time to make trades if need be.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gary on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:30 pm

JWill wrote:I have to disagree with you guys. I do not beleive that a 1st line winger will solve our current probems. Do we need one? Yes. Is that the current fix? No.

My reasoning is that the Pens current stuggles are the product of the team as a whole and not individual performances.

It's not the only fix, but it won't hurt, and it would shake up the team in a way that they aren't getting shaken up by the coaches. It would send a message. It might also get Sid going.
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:35 pm

I agree with this completely. It's funny to me to hear/see people acting as though bringing in a 1st line winger will solve ALL the team's problems. The magic cure for all that ails the Penguins - the mythical winger for Crosby! (And that's assuming said winger even ends up meshing with Crosby.)
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensrule on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:37 pm

Get rid of the stiff Staal for anything resembling an NHL player, he's puss.
pensrule
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:09 am

I think the Pens aren't working hard enough and they are getting beaten by quicker teams who can out-skate them, especially in transition. The physical play is not really there consistently. The superstars are pressing trying to carry the team and making it worse. With time they will come out of the funk or look for a trade or two near the deadline.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:11 am

Pens have no fire. That's it.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:11 am

D-Block Pens Fan wrote:
2headedmonster8771 wrote:Get this team some ******* wingers :evil:

+1

++1
We need to upgrade the wings with size and grit. We need a Canadian or two on the top lines.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:11 am

pensrule wrote:Get rid of the stiff Staal for anything resembling an NHL player, he's puss.

:pop:

No.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Indyman on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:20 am

If I was Shero, I would wait out the "down" stretch of the season.....things will get better. Do you seriously think Boston and San Jose are going to be on this hot of a streak when the playoffs start..?....um, NO

I would get a winger at the trade deadline - it doesn't have to be a trade of the Hossa magnitude though....

I think the Pens look like 1st round fodder lately.....who cares, as long as they don't by the start of the playoffs....we haven't even hit the half way point of the season yet - three and a half months to go...

If we make an early exit from the playoffs (or don't make the playoffs :( ) get rid of MT and Yeo, and get coaches better suited for this team

The moral of this story is QUIT FREAKING PANICKING
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KC_PENS_FAN on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:26 am

NJ5934 wrote:
KC_PENS_FAN wrote:What would you do if it were your decision?

Easy. I would hire like 100 hot women to dance in skimpy attire throughout the arena during the course of all the Penguin power plays solely to distract fans from the nightmare on the ice. Call it alternative entertainment if you will.

or;

I would give out free nachos immediately following any period in which the Penguins failed to put 5 shots on net.

Funny thing about the hot women dancing around...The blackhawks have ice girls and the go out and shovel ice when play has stopped...and they dress rather skimpy
KC_PENS_FAN
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PenguinMan on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:07 am

Look, you can deny it, you can ignore it, you can sugarcoat it, you can wait for some miracles to happen, non will change the fact that the team has stopped responding to our great coaching staff about a month ago. The team's work ethic is nowhere near where it should be which is the biggest problem. Then you have a the best player in the world running around trying to beat 6 guys all by himself because his line mates are not able to generate anything, even when he's on Sid's line, I'm sorry but this is not coaching.
The real question is how long will Shero continue to sit around with his thumb up his arse before he realizes that.
PenguinMan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:13 am

The wings we have should be fine. PLayers are forcing themselves into bad situations because they are abandonign the system. We found a way to beat Thomas last night in the first period and then stopped doing it which was firing a bad angle shot at net that forced a rebound then crashed the slot. There isn't nearly enough of this. Then we have players screwing around at the bluelines which results in not getting the puck out of our zone or gaining their zone. Then there's stupid passing instead of just taking shots.

It's not a talent issue, it's all execution. The players are not playing the system that is proven to win. I don;t think MT has lost them, rather the players are trying to do too much on their own. Satan tries to beat guys at the blue line instead of dumping it in. Malkin tries to beat the entire team and turns pucks over. Orpik forces passes up ice instead of going back to the other defenseman. Crosby is always looking to pass first. Staal won't finish checks. All of these are easily fixable if the players would just stop being stupid and sloppy right now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:19 am

Get the #1 draft pick for this year. Tavares for Sid's wing.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: It's time for Ray Shero to take the next step.

Postby conforto45 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:51 am

wait.....

werent we in the same situation last season?
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:52 am

Salary cap era...Every team would love to improve their team now..It's very difficult to make an impact trade this time of the season...

Shero isn't going to just trade away a Staal to make a point...

I'd look into Shanahan. Veteran, leader, only costs a couple bucks...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:54 am

And what does he do? I'm sometimes for making a move just to make a move but that usually involves fringe players. But I happen to like our fringe players and they aren't the problem, espeically when two of our best roll players are hurt. The only guy I want gone right now is Satan.

Satan and a 2nd now for Eric Cole would be a move to get the team going if Edmonton would take it. Essentially it's a 2nd rounder after the season is done since they are both UFA's.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:59 am

If your players are not doing what they should be doing, ie playing "the system" or doing all the things that are asked of them from managment. Guess what, the coach must go. I am not saying that MT does a bad job, but obviously he can not hold his players accountable nor can he get them to do what he wants them to do. That is reason enough to get rid of the coaching staff and bring in someone that the players will listen to. All the things mentioned in this thread about the poor dump and chance, the poor decision making, the poor passes are all due to the players not donig what they should be doing. And hence they are no longer listening to the coach.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:02 am

Hopefully his solution isn't to fire the coach...I really wish he would have signed a capable backup with NHL experience but oh well. I agree with your post and think it's well written and thought out.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:05 am

DelPen wrote:And what does he do? I'm sometimes for making a move just to make a move but that usually involves fringe players. But I happen to like our fringe players and they aren't the problem, espeically when two of our best roll players are hurt. The only guy I want gone right now is Satan.

Satan and a 2nd now for Eric Cole would be a move to get the team going if Edmonton would take it. Essentially it's a 2nd rounder after the season is done since they are both UFA's.

DelPen do you think Cole could get over his harted of Orpik? Honest question. I wouldn't mind Cole on this team.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:06 am

jimjom wrote:
DelPen wrote:And what does he do? I'm sometimes for making a move just to make a move but that usually involves fringe players. But I happen to like our fringe players and they aren't the problem, espeically when two of our best roll players are hurt. The only guy I want gone right now is Satan.

DelPen do you think Cole could get over his harted of Orpik? Honest question. I wouldn't mind Cole on this team.

I think he would be a professional about it. It's not like Orpik was malicious and you can be sure Cole would be on Sid's LW (with Dupuis or Kennedy on the RW). Cole would have a much better chance at winning a cup in Pittsburgh than in Edmonton.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:10 am

pensfan20 wrote:If your players are not doing what they should be doing, ie playing "the system" or doing all the things that are asked of them from managment. Guess what, the coach must go. I am not saying that MT does a bad job, but obviously he can not hold his players accountable nor can he get them to do what he wants them to do. That is reason enough to get rid of the coaching staff and bring in someone that the players will listen to. All the things mentioned in this thread about the poor dump and chance, the poor decision making, the poor passes are all due to the players not donig what they should be doing. And hence they are no longer listening to the coach.

I think MT and Shero need to have a talk about the current roster and who from WBS could make a difference. I would like to see pesonen on the RW as the scorer with Crosby instead of the grinder on a line. Scratch Satan. Maybe evern scratch Staal and let Jeffrey center the 3rd line with Wallace. They need to show players are not above benching. Wasn't Staal going to get scratched last year for poor play but then Talbot got hurt so he had to stay in the lineup?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins