If you were coach/GM what would you do?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: It's time for Ray Shero to take the next step.

Postby jimjom on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:11 am

True to that. It was a long time ago plus Cole got to raise the Cup that year and came back from the injury.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: If you were coach/GM what would you do?

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:17 am

DelPen wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:If your players are not doing what they should be doing, ie playing "the system" or doing all the things that are asked of them from managment. Guess what, the coach must go. I am not saying that MT does a bad job, but obviously he can not hold his players accountable nor can he get them to do what he wants them to do. That is reason enough to get rid of the coaching staff and bring in someone that the players will listen to. All the things mentioned in this thread about the poor dump and chance, the poor decision making, the poor passes are all due to the players not donig what they should be doing. And hence they are no longer listening to the coach.

I think MT and Shero need to have a talk about the current roster and who from WBS could make a difference. I would like to see pesonen on the RW as the scorer with Crosby instead of the grinder on a line. Scratch Satan. Maybe evern scratch Staal and let Jeffrey center the 3rd line with Wallace. They need to show players are not above benching. Wasn't Staal going to get scratched last year for poor play but then Talbot got hurt so he had to stay in the lineup?

That is exactly it. People say that MT is a type of coach that doesnt take any BS. He played Orpik and Whit on teh wing..oooo.. he scratched a bunch of 3rd liners that were not producing on the top lines... but when it comes down to it he has never scratched players like Staal, Sid, Geno, Gonch etc. Im not saying they all should have been, but there were times where some should have been. And like i said before, look at Whit's comments after returning from his injury, he said watching the game from up top taught him things about the game he didnt relize from playing it. So, with that said WHY ISNT STAAL watching from up top? not as punishment but as a learning tool. If there are players not playing the system and not listening to the coach, then they should be benched. Obviously reducing their ice time or putting them on bottom lines isnt enough of a message.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby saints11 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:18 am

I think Shero took a shot with Satan, knowing he wanted to come here and hoping he would gel with Sid. He had always been labeled a talent, but flamed out in Buffalo and on the Island. Fed was a body to fit in on the second and third line. If a giant error was made, it was the mis-read on Hossa and the fact we put all of our chickens there.
Though I'd love to see more, I think Staal is playing like he always has. The problem is, from my perspective, is he tends to overgrip it near the net and begin to press and overthink. Like last night, if he roofs it on the 2 on 1, rather than try to guide it through the 5 hole.
We are what we were last year before Hossa, two of the game's bests, with a collection of third liners. Sykora is still off a little from last year, but it is getting there. We can't afford to wait for Gonchar to return, and it seems W-B-S roster is like ours, with loads of 3rd-4th line potentials. The only one we haven't seen is Caputi.
Though I have never advocated the trading of Staal, it looks as if he and our young offensive d-men, are our only bargaining chips. Seriously, who is going to trade for an underproducing, contract year Satan? Aren't they going to read him as if he can't play with Sid and Geno, who can he play with?
We need a spark of some kind and it can't just come from getting a 3rd-line winger back and a face-off man.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:21 am

pensfan20 wrote:
DelPen wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:If your players are not doing what they should be doing, ie playing "the system" or doing all the things that are asked of them from managment. Guess what, the coach must go. I am not saying that MT does a bad job, but obviously he can not hold his players accountable nor can he get them to do what he wants them to do. That is reason enough to get rid of the coaching staff and bring in someone that the players will listen to. All the things mentioned in this thread about the poor dump and chance, the poor decision making, the poor passes are all due to the players not donig what they should be doing. And hence they are no longer listening to the coach.

I think MT and Shero need to have a talk about the current roster and who from WBS could make a difference. I would like to see pesonen on the RW as the scorer with Crosby instead of the grinder on a line. Scratch Satan. Maybe evern scratch Staal and let Jeffrey center the 3rd line with Wallace. They need to show players are not above benching. Wasn't Staal going to get scratched last year for poor play but then Talbot got hurt so he had to stay in the lineup?

That is exactly it. People say that MT is a type of coach that doesnt take any BS. He played Orpik and Whit on teh wing..oooo.. he scratched a bunch of 3rd liners that were not producing on the top lines... but when it comes down to it he has never scratched players like Staal, Sid, Geno, Gonch etc. Im not saying they all should have been, but there were times where some should have been. And like i said before, look at Whit's comments after returning from his injury, he said watching the game from up top taught him things about the game he didnt relize from playing it. So, with that said WHY ISNT STAAL watching from up top? not as punishment but as a learning tool. If there are players not playing the system and not listening to the coach, then they should be benched. Obviously reducing their ice time or putting them on bottom lines isnt enough of a message.

Agreed...Different rules for the stars...Although Staal is far from a star to me and shouldn't be treated as such...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:24 am

dman66 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:Ray Shero is the least of our problems.

Who signed Satan? Who drafted Staal when we already had 2 superstar centers?

who would you have wanted him to pick? toews is a center. backstroms a center. hell, even kessel was a center coming out of college. so who would you have picked then?

Toews played wing as well in juniors.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dean Wormer on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:25 am

KG wrote:I'd look into Shanahan. Veteran, leader, only costs a couple bucks...

I agree with you 100%. I don't know why people are against Shanahan coming here. We have the cap room for this season, throw him a one year deal, tell him to expect limited minutes compared to what he may have been used to and give him power play time in front of the net. I fail to see why this is such a bad thing.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:26 am

pensfan20 wrote:
DelPen wrote:

lol are you serious?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:27 am

Lets just be patient and try and do as best we can this year with the team we have. Let's not do anything dumb at the deadline and try and win next year.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:35 am

am is serious that that STaal should be benched, yes, do i think that at some point either Geno or Sid should have sat a game due to injuries, yes. How many times has Sid played with a sinus infection? or with other injuries?
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:36 am

I'm a broken record here but hopefully he decides to hire Laviolette. heh
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dean Wormer on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:43 am

pensfan20 wrote:am is serious that that STaal should be benched, yes, do i think that at some point either Geno or Sid should have sat a game due to injuries, yes. How many times has Sid played with a sinus infection? or with other injuries?

This can't be serious.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:45 am

Dean Wormer wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:am is serious that that STaal should be benched, yes, do i think that at some point either Geno or Sid should have sat a game due to injuries, yes. How many times has Sid played with a sinus infection? or with other injuries?

This can't be serious.

Why not? twice last year he admitted to playing sick.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dean Wormer on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:47 am

pensfan20 wrote:
Dean Wormer wrote:

This can't be serious.

Why not? twice last year he admitted to playing sick.

He should be playing sick. He's a professional athlete. If a sinus infection keeps him out of games then he should seriously reevaluate his life.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:50 am

Why not? twice last year he admitted to playing sick.[/quote]

He should be playing sick. He's a professional athlete. If a sinus infection keeps him out of games then he should seriously reevaluate his life.[/quote]
wow. Yeah, cause not being able to breath properly is a great way to play hockey. ooooo k. :roll:
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dean Wormer on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:52 am

pensfan20 wrote:wow. Yeah, cause not being able to breath properly is a great way to play hockey. ooooo k. :roll:

Then he blows his nose on the bench. You really expect for the captain of a hockey team to sit out games, on multiple occasions if you had your way, because he has a head full of snot?
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Paekman on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:13 pm

Just an opinion, but here's what I think:

Last year, the popular sentiment after Colby Armstrong was traded was that "chemistry doesn't score goals, Marian Hossa scores goals..."

I hate to say it (and no, I wouldn't undo the Armstrong/EC deal, or want either of them back now), but chemistry DOES score goals. This team lacks chemistry, cohesiveness and attitude, not talent. This team needs some character guys. This team needs some guys who can come into the clubhouse and mesh with "the core". We all know that we need a winger or two, but they just have to fit, not necessarily be cut from the cloth of Kovalchuk or Gaborik.

From Shero's perspective, my "watchlist" would include legitimate power forwards and players who match up with well with Sid. I would make a big play for Brad Boyes in StL. I would also look into Nathan Horton in FLA and Erik Cole in EDM. As far as other players I might look at for wing help, I think Nikolai Kulemin in TOR would be interesting and could probably be had for our extra 3rd rounder. He's not a Brian Burke type of player and Burke wants draft picks. Granted, he's not a power forward, but he played with Geno in Magnitogorsk and could mesh well with him for many years.

Also, I know that it's early, but I hope that Caputi would see some time with the big club this season. Caputi-Sid-Boyes/Horton/Cole could be an extremely effective line.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:44 pm

I am definitely of the opinion that we need to see what Staal can bring in the way of young, true winger(s).

I agree that 3rd line center is not a luxury we can afford if it means Satan on Sid's wing. He has been absolutely timid out there and hasn't been producing chances at all of late. They say when things go badly, you see character come out. To me the most noticeable positives of late have been Cooke's physical play, Fedotenko's solid two way effort and Dupuis' constant energy. If you look at that list, and then compare what you have seen from Satan........who was supposed to be an offensive impact because "Sid can make anyone look good".......well........

I say Satan should be scratched and bring up Caputi for a few games, seriously, if only to tell Satan that he needs to get his *ss in gear. Caputi may not be ready, he may not produce a single chance with Sid, but how is that different than what we are getting from Satan?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins