How did Yeo get his job?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: How did Yeo get his job?

Postby KG on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:20 pm

All I know is Yeo has to throw out the "back door pass from Sid to Whitney" the entire league knows it's coming...Mainly because Sid is not a threat to score a goal on the power play (2 ppg's) let alone shoot the puck...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby D-Block Pens Fan on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:21 pm

They shuffle the lineup everywhere else. Lets see some movement on the PP.
D-Block Pens Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby cojac on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:33 pm

He carries MT bags, and washes his clothes.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cojac on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Boston's PP was a pleasure to watch.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 pm

cojac wrote:Boston's PP was a pleasure to watch.

Agreed...Shooting, puck movement, bodies crashing the net...

A power play with a system that works...wow...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Cosmo_kramer on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:37 pm

I would love to see a line with Malkin and Crosby on either wings and two defensemen at the points. It just seems that the powerplay right now is that backdoor pass or Malkin shooting from the point. And EVERY team knows it.
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby D-Block Pens Fan on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:40 pm

Cosmo_kramer wrote:I would love to see a line with Malkin and Crosby on either wings and two defensemen at the points. It just seems that the powerplay right now is that backdoor pass or Malkin shooting from the point. And EVERY team knows it.

I'll try anything at this point and your idea has got to work better than what we've seen recently.
D-Block Pens Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cosmo_kramer on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:45 pm

D-Block Pens Fan wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:I would love to see a line with Malkin and Crosby on either wings and two defensemen at the points. It just seems that the powerplay right now is that backdoor pass or Malkin shooting from the point. And EVERY team knows it.

I'll try anything at this point and your idea has got to work better than what we've seen recently.

Another reason to do it is the Pens pp right now is only playing on half of the ice. With Malkin and Crosby on the right side of the ice, the puck remains on that side and the team can pressure the puck because they only have to play half of the ice. A couple games ago, I was watching the powerplay and ALL five Pens players were on the right side of the ice. That's just too congested to make any plays happen.
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:47 pm

I'm no advocate of Yeo and I would care less if he got canned, but he's an all too easy goat when really it should be more on the players than on Yeo.

I think the problem with our PP is that we just don't have the finishers. No decent screener or garbage-man, Staal has failed in that role. No good trigger-men except Sykora, who can't get it done with consistency. Malkin can't hit a barn from the point. Crosby never shoots period, and he's not all that dangerous anyway. Goligoski has been an occasional bright spot.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:47 pm

I'm sure Yeo is telling them to make stupid plays and get outworked on the PP. Absolutely sure of it. Or the problems on the PP are indicative of the problems plauging the team in general - they're not working as hard as the other team and they're trying to do everything by skill instead of making the simple plays. Do you honestly think Yeo tells Crosby to make that back door pass and Crosby blindly listens? Crosby does what he wants. He reads the situation and makes the plays he chooses to make.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Matthew Monstar on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Boy oh boy, I'd throw a huge party if YEO got canned...But as long as therriens around, YEO has immunity......No clue why.

Shero needs to come out of the box and say something, do something.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:50 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I'm sure Yeo is telling them to make stupid plays and get outworked on the PP. Absolutely sure of it. Or the problems on the PP are indicative of the problems plauging the team in general - they're not working as hard as the other team and they're trying to do everything by skill instead of making the simple plays. Do you honestly think Yeo tells Crosby to make that back door pass and Crosby blindly listens? Crosby does what he wants. He reads the situation and makes the plays he chooses to make.

You know the drill HH...You can't fire the players...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Matthew Monstar on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:50 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I'm sure Yeo is telling them to make stupid plays and get outworked on the PP. Absolutely sure of it. Or the problems on the PP are indicative of the problems plauging the team in general - they're not working as hard as the other team and they're trying to do everything by skill instead of making the simple plays. Do you honestly think Yeo tells Crosby to make that back door pass and Crosby blindly listens? Crosby does what he wants. He reads the situation and makes the plays he chooses to make.

Exactly my point, the players either dont know what to do or they dont want to do the same setup everytime so they freelance the powerplay and it gets jacked up.

All goes back to yeo. What does he provide to the powerplay? He puts Malkin on the point when malkin has been most succesful streaking down the side....How many times does that have to be exposed for short handed goals.... I rarely see anyone parked in front of the net doing dirty work
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:50 pm

No. The problem with the Power Play is that it is to stationary. This isn't a fault of the players but the coaching.

(Not to mention the team is ignorant enough to be that stationary without throwing someone out there who isn't afraid to take the shots in front of the net).
Last edited by ron_duguays_hair on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cosmo_kramer on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:52 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:

Exactly my point, the players either dont know what to do or they dont want to do the same setup everytime so they freelance the powerplay and it gets jacked up.

All goes back to yeo. What does he provide to the powerplay? He puts Malkin on the point when malkin has been most succesful streaking down the side....How many times does that have to be exposed for short handed goals.... I rarely see anyone parked in front of the net doing dirty work

One thing that is really good about Malkin on the point though (not good enough to keep him there...) is that he's a BEAST at keeping that puck in.
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:54 pm

I'm sure Yeo has a strong power play plan in place, but the players aren't listening...If the players tune out the coaches, then the coaches get fired eventually...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby supermario on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:58 pm

agreed. why not put Jordan with Crosby, Sykora with Geno. Have two pp units. Or however MT wants to work it. Keeping one unit out for 1 minute 35 secs is just useless for the last 50 seconds. Guys are tired and worn out if their out there working. Sure, if you pass the puck around the perimeter for a minute and a half, you can stay pretty fresh, but if it's goals you want, better be prepared to work your butt off, even with the extra man. It would keep fresher guys out there and change things up. With the personel we have this powerplay should be one of the very best in the league.
supermario
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:00 pm

If Yeo has been failing as long as people have been saying he's been failing, Therrien would have done something about it because if Therrien's coaches fail him, he's going to take the fall too. Every time Therrien has called out the PP, he's called them out due to a lack of effort in some way. They're still getting outworked. They said they told guys to go to the net and they don't. I see the Pens consistently getting outworked on the PP. I see them consistently trying to be too fancy instead of making the simple plays. They're simply not listening. But again, that's indicative of the way the team is playing in general. I hate to even bring it up, but it really does look like they're playing to get the coach fired... but that has nothing to do with Yeo's PP strategy. The players aren't performing.

But really, why is this the main thing being discussed? They're giving up way too many goals lately. They're getting outworked in all areas. They're barely getting PP chances because they're not working. Everything doesn't hinge on the PP.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jmh470 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:05 pm

I'd say that if the players, including Crosby and Malkin, weren't listening to the coaches, then I doubt Therrien would allow them to be on the ice nearly every second of every PP. He's not a subtle coach. If the players weren't listening to him he would not send them over the boards, regardless of skill level.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 pm

jmh470 wrote:I'd say that if the players, including Crosby and Malkin, weren't listening to the coaches, then I doubt Therrien would allow them to be on the ice nearly every second of every PP. He's not a subtle coach. If the players weren't listening to him he would not send them over the boards, regardless of skill level.

I don't know. What you are saying makes sense, but I'm not so sure that it works that way. I think guys like Crosby and Malkin pretty much do whatever they want. I don't think MT is going to be a dictator to them and try to control every decision they make on the ice. He has to be careful with how he handles the star players, because he knows that he is a lot more expendable than they are. That's why you probably rarely see star players get benched.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:19 pm

Pens15 wrote:
jmh470 wrote:I'd say that if the players, including Crosby and Malkin, weren't listening to the coaches, then I doubt Therrien would allow them to be on the ice nearly every second of every PP. He's not a subtle coach. If the players weren't listening to him he would not send them over the boards, regardless of skill level.

I don't know. What you are saying makes sense, but I'm not so sure that it works that way. I think guys like Crosby and Malkin pretty much do whatever they want. I don't think MT is going to be a dictator to them and try to control every decision they make on the ice. He has to be careful with how he handles the star players, because he knows that he is a lot more expendable than they are. That's why you probably rarely see star players get benched.

I agree...Star players have always played to different rules...If Crosby and Malkin decide that they want MT out, then he will be out...it's really that simple..I don't think that they would ever do that since they seem like team players, but MT does not have the ability to just bench them for poor play unfortunately...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby K2 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:21 pm

Mike Yeo got his start in WBS during their first season of existence. He was a minor league jobber on an AHL deal who suffered an injury that ended his career midseason. He remained with the organization as an assistant coach, as back then it was just Glenn Patrick running the show down there. He stayed there after Patrick resigned/got canned and MT inherited him. Either he's become good friends with MT, or Yeo has some compromising photos
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pens15 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:29 pm

KG wrote:
Pens15 wrote:

I agree...Star players have always played to different rules...If Crosby and Malkin decide that they want MT out, then he will be out...it's really that simple..I don't think that they would ever do that since they seem like team players, but MT does not have the ability to just bench them for poor play unfortunately...

You're right. It might be different in college sports for example, where the coaches are bigger than the players and they would kick a star player off the team before they would compromise their authority.

In pro sports, maybe with a very few exceptions, star players are going to be much more important than the coach, and that's a reality that coaches will have to deal with.

It makes it even tougher for the coach because it's possible that if some of the lesser players notice that the star player has more power than the coach, the lesser players might think that they don't have to do what the coach says either.

I also would have never thought Sid or Malkin would deliberately undermine their coach, but lately, I'm not so sure.

Geno, I doubt it because I think he probably is completely indifferent to MT. He probably barely understands a word MT says, and just does whatever he wants to on the ice.

Sid though, unless he's hurt, it's tough to figure out why he just doesn't seem to have the same passion and vigor out there. Something definitely isn't right with him.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:08 am

Im starting to feel bad for Crosby having to do these postgame interviews. I know that it's expected of him to respond and has been his whole career. He's the captain and is responsible for what is taking place. But lately it looks like he just wants to tell them to STHU. Understandable yes, but part of me still feels for him.

The past month he has literally said the same exact thing after every single game. No point in even listening what he has to say anymore really.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby E 14 Hornblower on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:31 am

KG wrote:All I know is Yeo has to throw out the "back door pass from Sid to Whitney" the entire league knows it's coming...Mainly because Sid is not a threat to score a goal on the power play (2 ppg's) let alone shoot the puck...

I cant remember if it was the first or second pp goal they scored but Charas goal was scored the same exact way
E 14 Hornblower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins