How did Yeo get his job?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: How did Yeo get his job?

Postby penmyst on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:23 am

^^^^
The "backdoor" play in and of itself isn't the problem. The problem is that if it isn't Malkin shooting from the point, or the "backdoor" play... it's nothing. PK units don't have to adjust on the fly, and so it's easy. In fact, very easy to defend 2 plays.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:33 am

The shorthanded goal against tonight had less to do with there being a forward on the point (Malkin) and more to do with the fact they were in that umbrella setup again. When you have one guy at high center point, there's only one guy they PKers have to beat. I don't care if you have Scott Stevens at the top of an umbrella set up, you're going to give up shorthanded chances sooner or later.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:05 am

Henry Hank wrote:If Yeo has been failing as long as people have been saying he's been failing, Therrien would have done something about it because if Therrien's coaches fail him, he's going to take the fall too. Every time Therrien has called out the PP, he's called them out due to a lack of effort in some way. They're still getting outworked. They said they told guys to go to the net and they don't. I see the Pens consistently getting outworked on the PP. I see them consistently trying to be too fancy instead of making the simple plays. They're simply not listening. But again, that's indicative of the way the team is playing in general. I hate to even bring it up, but it really does look like they're playing to get the coach fired... but that has nothing to do with Yeo's PP strategy. The players aren't performing.

But really, why is this the main thing being discussed? They're giving up way too many goals lately. They're getting outworked in all areas. They're barely getting PP chances because they're not working. Everything doesn't hinge on the PP.

The Pens are 0-16 on the PP in their last 4 games. I have to think that has something to do with losing. But the Yeo shtick goes back to way before this bad streak. In my opinion the biggest fail of his coaching career was the 5 on 3 in game 3 of the SCF. It was emblematic of his tactical inability, which has plagued the Penguins ever since he took over the reigns of the PP. If not for arguably one of the most talented 5-man units in the league they have put on the ice the past couple years, this PP would be downright dreadful.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:33 am

I think the other problem with the Pens PP is it's really easy to predict where the pucks going to be moving. That a combination of being outworked.

I'd like to see something like this with our current line-up:

In this set-up- you've got Malkin on the half-boards, where he dominated when Crosby was absent last year. Crosby's down low, but not far from the slot where we can easily get a forehand shot off. Crosby and Wallace can criss-cross on the cycle and Whitney and Boucher hold the zone and maybe throw a wrister to the front of the net here and there. With a righty and the lefty criss-crossing with the puck behind the net you naturally have a lot of Kennedy turning shot opportunities (which we've seen Wallace try) and wrap-around opportunities. And Malkin can always skate into the slot and bang one home while the defense are trying to fish out Crosby.

But then Malkin can rotate to the point and suddenly you've got the old Yeo concoction- Whitney can sneak in that backdoor and be feed by Crosby from the half-wall, Malkin can fire the one timer, or Boucher can fire the one timer, with Wallace going hard to the net.

Wallace hasn't really scored, but he's a worker and a hard hitter. Also he gives you that right handed shot from the left for juicy rebounds for Malkin and Crosby to pounce on, and he adds the option of the through the blue-paint pass for an easy shot from Crosby or from him.

When Letang comes back he'd take Boucher's place, when Kennedy comes back he'd take Wallace's place. When Gonchar comes back he'd take Whitney's place.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:47 am

I dont know if Wallace can be pushed into situation like you mentioned already..
Yeo I think will be gone soon,when GM say he has trust in coach.stuff -it often happen,that then there are changes made.. MT stays,YEO goes i hope.. Lemieux steps in :)
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins