Is this team going to join edmonton and Carolina?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is this team going to join edmonton and Carolina?

Postby SMTM on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 pm

As the only two teams not to make the playoffs the year following a trip to the Stanley Cup finals? I have a sinking feeling that the current injury situation and weakness on wing could put the Pens in a fight for the 7th or 8th spot. I think that they can make it, but it will require some changes to the team makeup. How bad does this team miss Kennedy and Zigomanis, let alone Gonchar. No excuses, as injuries happen, but the Pens are reeling in the offensive zone.

Oh and by the way, why is Crosby so damn stubborn? He has got to shoot the puck on the PP. 17241 people in the building and 11 on the ice know he is going to make a pass. Why?!?
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Is this team going to join edmonton and Carolina?

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:27 pm

Chill
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:27 pm

I don't think the East is strong enough to where the pens don't make the playoffs...They are not a contender at the moment though...

Teams don't go into the tank because they are losing their 3rd line wing and 4th line center. This team just does not have enough offensive depth to win consistently at the moment...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SMTM on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:31 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:Chill

How long do I have to chill? Does Shero have to chill, too? Believe me, I am not that wound up by it, but I am resigned to fact that the Pens are a mediocre team, and will struggle to make the playoffs as currently constructed.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Three Stars on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:34 pm

SMTM wrote: Believe me, I am not that wound up by it, but I am resigned to fact that the Pens are a mediocre team, and will struggle to make the playoffs as currently constructed.

So am I. I just tend to think that constructive things can happen because of that.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:34 pm

The way they are playing, yes. The East is plenty deep. Don't know if you've seen many NYR games lately, but they are playing hungry, determined hockey. Consider that NYR, PHI, NJD, BOS, MTL, WASH are playing different hockey than the Pens NOW, it becomes a fight between BUF, FLA and the Pens for the remaining spots, NOW.

Hopefully, the switch goes back on in Jan/Feb for the Pens.

Until then, this season is eerily similar to OTT's last year (which snuck into the playoffs).
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby enenvee on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:38 pm

Eismann wrote:Until then, this season is eerily similar to OTT's last year (which snuck into the playoffs).

Except that Ottawa was on top of the conference for more than half of the regular season last year before falling so badly late.
enenvee
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SMTM on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:39 pm

Eismann wrote:The way they are playing, yes. The East is plenty deep. Don't know if you've seen many NYR games lately, but they are playing hungry, determined hockey. Consider that NYR, PHI, NJD, BOS, MTL, WASH are playing different hockey than the Pens NOW, it becomes a fight between BUF, FLA and the Pens for the remaining spots, NOW.

Hopefully, the switch goes back on in Jan/Feb for the Pens.

Until then, this season is eerily similar to OTT's last year (which snuck into the playoffs).

Oh my, that comparison with Ottawa is petrifying. We saw what happened to them in the playoffs, and even worse, what is happening to Ottawa this year. :(
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:42 pm

I think we make the playoffs.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dman66 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:47 pm

SMTM wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:Chill

How long do I have to chill? Does Shero have to chill, too? Believe me, I am not that wound up by it, but I am resigned to fact that the Pens are a mediocre team, and will struggle to make the playoffs as currently constructed.

you mean like how they've been mediocre at this point the past two years? not that that guarantees this year, but come on
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:49 pm

enenvee wrote:
Eismann wrote:Until then, this season is eerily similar to OTT's last year (which snuck into the playoffs).

Except that Ottawa was on top of the conference for more than half of the regular season last year before falling so badly late.

Indeed, and the fall was precipitous and a mirror image of the Pens play of late. Pens had their best start in a long time, and, but for the huge starts of NYR and BOS and the recent streak of PHI, would have been on top, just like OTT.

Not encouraging from this vantage point.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SMTM on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:49 pm

dman66 wrote:
you mean like how they've been mediocre at this point the past two years? not that that guarantees this year, but come on

I am glad that you think I am being rediculous. Here is to history repeating itself.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:27 am

SMTM wrote:
dman66 wrote:

I am glad that you think I am being rediculous. Here is to history repeating itself.

well...that's just ridiculous
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby holeinone on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:32 am

I am going to throw my vote in here and say ABSOLUTELY. They are going in the wrong direction and moving very fast toward disaster. It looks like they, as a whole, have no heart and desire. Something is missing and it is hard to say what it is. THere is high end talent but it falls off very quickly. The passion is gone and they just look lost.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:13 am

Pens will make the playoffs.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:14 am

I think we'll probably make the playoffs. (PLAYOFFS?!!?!) How deep we will go into the playoffs is another matter. :?
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:32 am

we will make playoffs,East isnt that strong.. And TK,Ziggy,Gonch,Letang coming back--- chill..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SaijinSatch on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:59 am

Pens4Life wrote:we will make playoffs,East isnt that strong.. And TK,Ziggy,Gonch,Letang coming back--- chill..

eastern is the better conference..
SaijinSatch
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:02 am

Eismann wrote: but they are playing hungry, determined hockey.

Interesting concept
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Three Stars on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:06 am

The Pens will finish last in the league. Then they will kick a puppy. Then they will give a baby the finger.

To be fair, the baby was being a jerk.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Angle on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:10 am

SMTM wrote:Oh and by the way, why is Crosby so damn stubborn? He has got to shoot the puck on the PP. 17241 people in the building and 11 on the ice know he is going to make a pass. Why?!?

I disagree. The guy sitting in D26 Row G Seat 8 (or was it 9?) had no clue that Crosby was going to pass. In fact, he thought anytime a Pen touched it, he was going to shoot. He yelled "Shot shot shot shot shot" at least 37 times in the game, including one where Ryan Whitney was facing the boards and there were at least 7 bodies blocking his view of the net had he be turned in the correct direction, and one where there was a chase towards an iced puck.

Gosh I love the fans around me. Oh wait, that's why I opt to stay home.
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:17 am

Three Stars wrote:The Pens will finish last in the league. Then they will kick a baby. Then they will give a puppy the finger.

To be fair, the baby was being a jerk.

Fixed it for you, that's how far the pens have fallen :wink:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Angle on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:23 am

KG wrote: This team just does not have enough offensive depth to win consistently at the moment...

I disagree. The Pens have plenty of offensive depth, as shown by their goals/game statistic (3.11, good enough for 7th in the NHL). Yeah, most of those points are coming from Crosby and Malkin, but overall, Malkin and Crosby are only responsible for 30 goals (26%) of the team total.

Sykora, Satan, and Staal all have double-digit goal totals, and Fedetanko and Dupuis both have 9.

In comparison, the league leader in goals, the Boston Bruins, have 6 players with double digit goal totals. #2, Detroit, have 6 players with double digit goal totals. The Pens are in the same ballpark as the rest of the league in scoring depth. Moreso, considering the Pens Powerplay is scoring only 18% of the time, despite being one of the teams with the most powerplay chances, it's a special teams follie more than a goal scoring depth. If the Pens were more consistent on the power play and play responsibly when they had a lead, they'd have a couple more wins than they do now.
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:54 am

Take off the rose colored glasses and take a long hard look. Do you like what you see??? I don't
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:26 am

I often ask myself, isnt surprising that a team with the top 2 players in the world, along with a top 5 goalie and soooo much depth on D seem to struggle due to not having Ziggy, TK, Letang?
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins