Spoiled by Last Year?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Spoiled by Last Year?

Postby muffinarm on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am

I am just wondering how much of what we have seen from the Penguins in December is part of the growing process of a very young and still developing team. Granted, they made the finals last year, but it certainly wasn't like they were the heavy favorites entering the playoffs or played lights out hockey all year long. Looking back, is it possible they overachieved a bit to reach the finals? However, they only lost three games getting there, so that might be a stretch. But I do believe they might not have been as solid as I thought last year, but are also not nearly as lousy as they are showing now. What are your thoughts?
muffinarm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Spoiled by Last Year?

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:29 am

hossa
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:41 am

The reason the Pens did so good last year was because they're defense and goaltending down the stretch and in the playoffs were phenominal. They have the potential to get there again. Defense is the foundation of the team, and they should stop worrying so much about their offense and just play tight defensive hockey and take their chances when they get them.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 2headedmonster8771 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:45 am

Quite simply, we had wingers that could score.

Hossa + Malone >>>> Satan + Fedotenko
2headedmonster8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:48 am

Wow.

How many posters will create their own "Theory" of why we're playing so poorly right now.

Every hour theres a new topic explaining why.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:48 am

I don't think they overachieved last year. They were a great team that had few real weaknesses. Their biggest weakness and maybe what ultimately did them in was the lack of experience. They went into the Finals completely unprepared, and by the time they caught up in intensity, the series was practically over. Granted, the level of competition getting to the Finals wasn't that great, but I still believe they would have beaten any other Western team. They got the one bad match-up.

I think this is part of the learning process, and in fact, the last part of it. This is a young bunch to have experienced what they've experienced. They nearly won it all when most teams of similar experience range would still be trying to get there. I think a lot of things have snowballed. First of all, they came in complacent and have continued to be that. They seem to be playing as if their talent is enough to get them by. They seem to be playing as if they don't feel that regular season games are that important and that they can just kick on the switch later. And now other things are added to the mix. The injuries piled up. The schedule got cramped. Suddenly, what they were facing was too much for them to just coast through, but it also provides built in excuses. But anyway, to make it short, they're learning how to deal with success. I think they're seeing that they still have to put in the work now because if they don't, there won't be a later.

I really hope tonight is where this nonsense gets put to rest. If not, I think they're going to reach the point where some kind of shape-up is a necessity.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Senka on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:53 am

Heres an idea. Its a roller coaster until playoffs. more than half the teams make the playoffs, and thats where it matters. we can lose some here and there, and ESPN still ranks us #8 as of last week. We have many injuries if you havent noticed. We've had a WBS line for a month now, and tonight it was only 2/3.

Teams fight through injuries. Younger teams arent great right away. Our squad is still young. Look at Chicagos first year. awesome right? Nahhh.

Everyone needs to relax and chill, or hop off the bandwagon. Not targeting posters of this thread at all, just saying to everyone in general.

Hossa + Malone >>>> Satan & Fedo? That was the statement made... well let me think... 9million + 5million >>>>> 2.5mill + 2.5mill
You cant afford the best two players and good defense without a paycut somewhere. People think allstar teams need to come from Pittsburgh. look back at the cup teams. 2-3 guys need to step it up. Ones not named Crosby-Malkin. End.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:56 am

2headedmonster8771 wrote:Quite simply, we had wingers that could score.

Hossa + Malone >>>> Satan + Fedotenko

Pens didn't have Hossa until the very end of the season, and remember he got injured in that game against the Islanders.

Plus Crosby was out.

The Pens were riding on one line- Malone- Malkin- Sykora for quite awhile.

And that was when they were really successful last year. In the playoffs the addition of Crosby and Hossa did help a lot.

Also remember people were saying stuff like "trade Malone for Prucha" this time last year.

The Pens were looking really down and out this time last year. . .

Roberts, Fleury, Crosby, and Talbot were out. Armstrong and Kennedy were out for periods of time too. Hall was out for times.

But Malkin and Sykora just cranked it up and carried the team along with Conklin and the defense.

All it takes is for the right players to turn it on. And that's not too far out of reality seeing how half the team is on a cold streak right now.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:39 am

Obviously it is going to be a different type of a ride to the play-offs this year...pens dealt with and did okay beginning with the big blow injuries to Sergei and Whitney. Had a strong November, but injuries keep mounting, and may be they thought they would be gold all season.

Brooks is right, easy to be a good teammate when games are being won. We'll see in this, another test for the pens, who keeps their head and game about them when there is chaos. We'll see this with fans too.

I knew there would be spacious leg room on the pens bandwagon today.

Keep the faith and kick butt in Boston. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:50 am

I'd rather have them pizzed than indifferent. At least, it show dat dey care.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:10 am

I think that largely, the team has given up except for a few players. Winning isn't coming easy this year, and it's alienating most of the team.

I feel that if it keeps up MT will be a scapegoat for this.

We need to start winning these January and February games so that we can get into the playoffs, which as of now, it completely questionable and by no means a definite.

In addition to a patchwork defense, other concerns:
-Lack of scoring from wingers not named Dupuis or Sykora (Satan, Fedo, please wake up)
-The fate of the team rested on a young, untested backup goalie for over 5 weeks, who performed admirably for the first few weeks and then dropped off. I really was pulling for a UFA goalie signing when we lost Conklin, but it didn't happen, I mean, Curtis Joseph was available among others. It would have been a good alternative to have an aging former starter rathet than a kid that started a few games in relief of MAF in the past (not knocking Sabu, the wheels just fell off, he wasn't conditioned to play pretty much nightly for over a month).
-Is MAF healthy and in game form? He has made some stupendous saves but has let some softies in (Montreal's 3rd goal the other night sticks out)
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:14 am

I don't think they overachieved last year. They had Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Fleury, Gonchar all on the top of their game. That is crazy talent...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:12 pm

Conklin and then Fleury getting better while injured.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins