Here's a deadline "what if" scenario (just for fun)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Here's a deadline "what if" scenario (just for fun)

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:35 am

Let's say all the negative nancies on this board are right.

I don't think they are, but for some reason I can't sleep and want to talk more hockey. And because I've been watching some of Evander Kane and John Tavares in the IIHF World Juniors, this scenario popped into my head. . .

(please don't give me crap for this, I'm not suggesting this happens, just posing a what if)

Anyways, back to the point- the negative nancies are right. It's the trade deadline, and the Pens still haven't turned it around. The Pens have new injuries and aren't out of the playoff picture completely, but are in 10th or 11th in the East.

Do you trade Satan, Fedotenko, Sykora, Gill, Scuderi, and Boucher? Or do you go for it and gear up for a run to try to get a playoff spot and be a dark horse knowing you have a team that is still very capable of turning it on?

I personally think I'd tank it, load up on 2009 draft picks and hope to land Kane with the first pick. That way the Pens wouldn't have to give up assets like Staal and Gogo, and they could get a potential immediate impact player to play wing on the top 6 for 09-10 for 3 years on an entry level contract.
Last edited by Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Here's a deadline "what if" scenario (just for fun)

Postby Fast B on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:57 am

Ignoring whether or not I think the Pens should tank anything...I can't imagine Crosby would ever willingly try to lose for any reason. It's not in his makeup.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:07 am

Well arguably if the Pens were out of the playoff picture I don't think any changes in the players would cause them to flop so much as selling off UFA rentals at the deadline.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SaijinSatch on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:28 am

if the pens fell to 10th or 11th i still wouldn't see them missing the playoffs, if they lost 10 of their next 10 i would still see them making it.
SaijinSatch
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby whodeany16 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:33 am

what about keeping all our assets, see how far we go in the playoffs, then make a splash at the draft by trading up to get tavarres or kane with a package that includes Staal etc...
whodeany16
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:37 am

whodeany16 wrote:what about keeping all our assets, see how far we go in the playoffs, then make a splash at the draft by trading up to get tavarres or kane with a package that includes Staal etc...

It would have to be some package...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:38 am

They only need to make one change.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:38 am

whodeany16 wrote:what about keeping all our assets, see how far we go in the playoffs, then make a splash at the draft by trading up to get tavarres or kane with a package that includes Staal etc...

That would have to be one hell of a package deal for anyone to give up Tavarres.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby conforto45 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:46 am

pensfan20 wrote:

That would have to be one hell of a package deal for anyone to give up Tavarres.

Staal, Gogo, TK and a pick for Tavares?
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:07 pm

conforto45 wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:

Staal, Gogo, TK and a pick for Tavares?

Why??

Holy over-payment.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:08 pm

SolidSnake wrote:They only need to make one change.

Malkin/Gogo/1st to LA for Kopitar/Brown/Johnson.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby K2 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:09 pm

Nah. It sends the wrong message to fans and the rest of the NHL. Furthermore, acquiring a Hedman or Tavares is unrealistic. I don't know my prospects like others on this board, but everything I've read has me ready to jump aboard the Zack Kassian bandwagon. I think he's a more realistic target
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:11 pm

I really hope you're not suggesting we tank while our record is 19-14-4 and we are currently sitting in a playoff spot.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby VENOM on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:48 pm

purelebo84 wrote:I really hope you're not suggesting we tank while our record is 19-14-4 and we are currently sitting in a playoff spot.

Same as 19-18 to me. Thats only 1 game over .500 and SINKING!!!! Thats not very good.
VENOM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 pm

VENOM wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:I really hope you're not suggesting we tank while our record is 19-14-4 and we are currently sitting in a playoff spot.

Same as 19-18 to me. Thats only 1 game over .500 and SINKING!!!! Thats not very good.

Hahahahaha.

Sometimes this place just cracks me up, I must say.

Last edited by purelebo84 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:52 pm

Pitts wrote:Holy over-payment.

Most of the trade scenarios that get posted are over-payment. Especially after seeing what Shero gave up for Hossa last year, I don't understand it.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby conforto45 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:58 pm

wallflower wrote:
Pitts wrote:Holy over-payment.

Most of the trade scenarios that get posted are over-payment. Especially after seeing what Shero gave up for Hossa last year, I don't understand it.

my suggested trade was outrageous... i was just making an obscene trade proposal since others suggested we do that.

i would give Staal and maybe a pick for Tavares, thats it. why throw everything at someone who hasnt played a minute in the NHL. Look at Esposito. He had such a high pedigree, then all of a sudden you dont hear his name anymore.

or.. he could end up like Staal. Have a monster rookie year, then never be seen again. it aint worth it, but im sure some GM will try to get him and overpay by millions
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:16 pm

did you even read my original post

I'm not suggesting it at all. . .
I'm asking the question if on draft day the Pens are an under .500 club and are in 10th or 11th place, do you trade away your UFAs as rentals?
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:44 pm

Noise wrote:

did you even read my original post

I'm not suggesting it at all. . .
I'm asking the question if on draft day the Pens are an under .500 club and are in 10th or 11th place, do you trade away your UFAs as rentals?

I get that.

The problem is that we're even discussing the possibility of tanking.

We'd never even get close to Tavares if we tried (which we shouldn't).
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:10 pm

I'm just feeding off all the negative energy on the board
I think the Pens will make the playoffs and have a good run

but all these doom and gloomers saying that the Pens aren't going to make the playoffs combined with my watching the World Juniors and really being impressed by Kane and Tavares just got me thinking.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sina220 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:12 pm

I've been saying this for a while now. IMO the only real long-term solution for the Pens top 6 wingers is to attempt to trade up in the draft this year, regardless of where we finish the season. It's an absolute necessity that we have at least one productive forward on an entry level deal for a few years if we want any shot at retaining/filling in the rest of the forward spots with decent talent.

It's going to cost the Pens the same in either scenario also. To acquire a player like Antropov or Horton we'd be giving up probably our 1st rounder + a (1) player like a Kennedy or a Letang + a mid level minor league prospect. Throw in another roster player or top tier prospect for a player like Kovalchuk or Gaborik.

I don't see any of the above scenarios happening though, because I doubt Shero will give up his 1st round pick in the draft this season. Only if it's used to acquire an even better pick. To move into the top 15 were looking at probably our 1st rounder + a Kennedy or Letang + a prospect. To move into the top 10 were probably going to have to sweeten that deal with a better prospect or another roster player, just as we would jumping from a Horton to a Kovalchuk.

The difference is we can retain the drafted player for at least 3 years cheaply, whereas we may not be able to afford/re-sign an already established player. And I believe more in preparing long term than attempting to "go for it all", again.
sina220
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: "I believe in GOD, only I spell it N.A.T.U.R.E." ~ F.L. Wright

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:17 pm

Just say no to trading Letang or Kennedy
I'd trade Goligoski before either one of them

Also that package for Antropov is hideous overpayment. The dude's a rental. And he's no Hossa. Why people keep comparing him and Horton value wise is beyond me. Horton's signed to a bargain contract for the next 4 years. Antropov's is an upcoming UFA.

Antropov's best season was last year and he had 56 pts. Hossa had one full season where he got less than 56 pts. And Hossa's a great defensive winger as well.

No way the pens pay a 1st + Letang or Kennedy for Antropov. That's a better than last years package for Hossa. Letang > Esposito, 1st 2009 > 1st 2008, and Armstrong and Christensen are worthless.
Last edited by Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkin0017 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:23 pm

How about this trade scenario:

Pens trade Staal, Goligoski, and a pick to the Blues for Brad Boyes and Barrett Jackman or another player instead of Jackman.

or

Staal, GoGo, and a 1st rounder in 2010 for Kovalchuk??

Also remember they signed Talbot before they signed Staal. Could that mean that they might be using Max at 3rd line center??
Malkin0017
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:31 pm

That'd rip off the Blues. Also the Pens wouldn't have cap-space to sign another winger, but I guess you just let younger guys earn spots. The Pens D would be pretty solid next year in that case though.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:34 pm

eek you added more
That'd work for Kovalchuk though I'd rather get someone the Pens could keep longer. Also it would cash strap the Pens and not allow them to get another winger like the Boyes trade you suggested. Talbot was signed before Staal because it was easier to negotiate. Remember yes Talbot could go back to center (and I hope he does) but Staal can always go to wing again (and I hope he does)
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins