Whats up with this 1st round draft picks..?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Whats up with this 1st round draft picks..?

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:43 am

Whats with all this 1st round draft picks Story? Lets get 2-3-4 1st rounders and wait to develop into NHL stars... How in hell we gonna pay all those 1st rounders? how we gonna get under the cap with two more 1st rounders who will become great players? Or just sign them to 3-years entry contract and then trade them,one by one-every year? O common,our team is made for winning now,who knows what will happen in 3-4 years..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Whats up with this 1st round draft picks..?

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:08 am

I assume you're talking if Staal is signed to an offer sheet and Shero lets him walk. If that's the case those first rounders would be packaged in trades. I highly doubt they would be kept to develop talent from within. More than likely they would be used to get a legit winger on the Pens. This is also assuming the Pens have the cap room or can move a player with those picks.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:18 am

I don't think we're going to be getting those 4 firsts. But if the Pens could somehow get 4 first rounders I don't think it would be as big of a problem as you suggest.

If Staal walked and the Pens got those 1st rounders- first of all they'd have cap space to sign a winger. Then they'd have 4 extra assets. Trading their 1st or 2nd wouldn't be as big of a deal at the deadline if they've got an extra one every year.

And let's say just one of those players turned into a player that could get an offer sheet for a compensation of 4 1st rounders.

Theoretically, you could have 2-3 1st rounders every year forever if you work it right.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:55 am

You are also assuming that every 1st rounder will be a star and worthy of big money. We could end up drafting the next Hiller, Dome, Kraft and Armstorng with those picks, the cap hit would be a whopping $1.5 million when all is said and done after their entry level deals are done. But by the time player #4 is off his entry level deal Malkin, Crosby, Whitney, orpik, etc will all be UFA's.

If we are lucky enough to have some idiot GM offer Staal a contract that nets us even 3 1st rounders then Shero will be jumping for joy.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:00 pm

You can NEVER have too many draft picks.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:04 pm

I believe that if Staal reaches RFA status this summer, Brian Burke will send him an offer sheet. He will want to make a big splash and there's nothing like stealing a good ol' Canadian boy from the States.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 pm

Pitts wrote:I believe that if Staal reaches RFA status this summer, Brian Burke will send him an offer sheet. He will want to make a big splash and there's nothing like stealing a good ol' Canadian boy from the States.

He's going to sign someone, he's amassing all the picks he can this year to stock up his talent pool because it will be bare for the next few years.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins