Pens vs Bruins Grades

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens vs Bruins Grades

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:35 am

Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pens vs Bruins Grades

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:42 am

Well, we might not play with consistancy, but your grades always are MCM. Good job once again.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks, MCM.

Thomas was also lucky because 95% of the Pens' shots on him were straight into his pads or gut. Goalie's dream.

Jeffrey actually backed the B's dmen up on a few occasions. More than can be said of most of the rest of the guys.

The B's are sick-good. The Pens are just sick (ill).

Also, whilst the team is in the stretch of stank, you might want to consider adding a new category: The Nightly Debacling. This would summarize the facet of the Pens' game that stank the most, was oddly horrid, or if/how an opposing play just totally pwns someone/something, etc.. For instance, I'd give it last night to Chara scoring on the cross-ice feed on the PP, just like Sid used to feed Whitney when the team was playing well.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:53 am

Brendan Shanahan, really? Might be a dozen reasons why he isn't on a roster currently.
Bob Errey has special love for a few, Savard is one of them for sure.
Gino was seen...6 mins in the box.

As 2008 shuts down, remember the good & the great, penguin moments.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:01 pm

Speaking of accountability, maybe Therrien should borrow from Lindy Ruff, who says he will bench some of his best players because they're not competing.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:26 pm

Ray Shero: F

Yeah, just keep sitting on your fanny while this team disintegrates. Two and a half years ago, I was elated that he turned down Boston and came to the Pens. Looking at what Peter Chiarelli has done with Boston (actually building a team), I think that elation was misplaced. Seriously, when you look at this current team, what has he done? Only one of his draftees is on the team (more on that later) and he signed useless pieces of crap like Satan and Fedotenko. Oh, and he traded for Dupuis. Other than that, the rest are all Craig Patrick draft choices. Yes, the hated Craig Patrick. Sorry, but the free pass is over for Mr. Shero.

That really stands out to me. A real reality check.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:20 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Ray Shero: F

Yeah, just keep sitting on your fanny while this team disintegrates. Two and a half years ago, I was elated that he turned down Boston and came to the Pens. Looking at what Peter Chiarelli has done with Boston (actually building a team), I think that elation was misplaced. Seriously, when you look at this current team, what has he done? Only one of his draftees is on the team (more on that later) and he signed useless pieces of crap like Satan and Fedotenko. Oh, and he traded for Dupuis. Other than that, the rest are all Craig Patrick draft choices. Yes, the hated Craig Patrick. Sorry, but the free pass is over for Mr. Shero.

That really stands out to me. A real reality check.

Shero has had only three drafts. I realize players seem to be getting to the NHL quicker than ever, but it still takes about five years to really begin to judge a draft because not every prospect is going to get to the NHL at the same rate. Staal never went back to juniors, never played a second in the AHL and no one was really complaining after his rookie year. Have we forgotten so quickly all the calls by the fanbase after 2006-07 claiming Staal was the second-best center on the team and better than Malkin? Remember how many people were calling for management to explore the idea of dealing Malkin? So really, how smart does the fanbase look now in light of what's transpired since this point last year? At the end of 2006-07, we were all ready to ship out the guy who many believe is now our best player in favor of keeping the guy everyone now can't wait to trade.

We could all sit here and say Shero should've taken Kessel and we might be right because right now, they might be better off with Kessel. But you also have to wonder how much that would have changed things in 2006-07 and 2007-08. I'm not a huge Staal fan, but the fact is that this team went from 58 points in 2005-06 to 105 points in 2006-07 partially because of Jordan Staal. They went from playoff contender in 2006-07 to a Cup finalist in 2007-08 partially because of Jordan Staal. Would they have done the same with Kessel? More? Less? That's pure speculation, but Kessel changes the entire dynamic of a team that won 47 games in each of the past two seasons largely because they worked their tails off in the offensive zone and played strong defense. To say they would've been better off with Kessel is assuming Kessel would not have been as bad here in 2006-07 and 2007-08 as he was in Boston during those season. That's a strong assumption to make, given the typical developmental curve of even top-notch NHL prospects (to which, by the way, few seem to realize Crosby and Malkin are exceptions rather than the rule).

As far as the signings, I'm not thrilled with some of the things Shero has done, but he's mitigated many of them by keeping them on very short-term deals. Satan, Fedotenko, Boucher...these guys were all short-term, relatively low-cost fixes. Some of them (Sykora, Gill, Roberts, Hall, Conklin) pan out; some of them (Recchi, Satan) may not. He's been right on these more often than he's been wrong.

He's also been relatively quick to make a change when it becomes apparent that things aren't a good fit. He moved relatively quickly on Recchi when it became clear last year that Recchi was no longer able to contribute. It may not be long before he decides the same with guys like Satan or some other players who don't appear to be working out according to the plan.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:34 pm

:lol: Shero: F

Yeah, he inherited a team that finished second worst in the league and shaped it into a team that came within two wins of the Cup in two years time. About half that team were guys that he brought in. They were the fourth best team in the league at the end of November. One bad month and now all is lost. Some people seriously need to take a better perspective of things.

What has Boston done in that span? They missed the playoffs and went one and done as an eighth seed the next year. But they have the best team in the league in December. They've achieved something seriously great.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby profpolisci on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:46 pm

I remain of the opinion that Jordan Staal will one day be an elite center in this league. I would also tend to always trust someone like Phil Borque when he says that Jordan's problem(s) stem from a lack of confidence that at times impedes his learning curve.

Assuming he gets a handle on the aforementioned issue, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that you'll see a vigorously consistent player (as no one ever questions his work ethic) displaying the skill set displayed in Detroit earlier this season.

Phil Kessel, while certainly a dynamic player, will never be 6'4 and 230 pounds. Crowing loudly about his current performance and projecting it forward is too much of a stretch at this point...Anze Kopitar has ten goals this year, Cheechoo has six, Corey Perry...nine. How was Franzen doing at 20? Vinny? No, it's way too soon the throw the towel on Jordan Staal.

I hope Shero doesn't knee jerk him out of here. For me, I'd still deal Malkin for depth and figure Staal as the long term 2nd line center if it was absolutely necessary to do something immediate.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:59 pm

I think my main problem with Shero is that we keep looking at the same problem since he got here. I am not saying he completely stinks, but I think it is time for him for make some moves of genius. Sidney still needs a winger. The way he handled the Hossa thing is pathetic. Don't trade away a whole package of goods for a player who is not willing to sign an extension. He then waited too long for Hossa to make up his damn mind in the summer. Shero has to be smarter next time. We desperately need size and toughness. Now, if Homer in Philly can get Coburn and Carle, then I think Shero should be able to steal someone as well. I think his FA signings have been poor. I don't know what his obsession with Staal is, unless he is keeping all quiet until he does move him and surprise everyone. We are looking at Shero's team right now and it's not looking too good. I think it'll all improve, but I also think that Shero's a bit too slow for his own good. I am not giving him an F, like Mike, but there is no way in hell he's getting an A. Probably somewhere in the middle.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins