Thought from Last Nights Game

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Thought from Last Nights Game

Postby Old Time Hockey on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:01 pm

Fleury was excellent in the first period, but Thomas played better the rest of the way. Can only blame Fleury for one of the goals. I hope MT never puts Whitney and Gill as defensive partners ever again. They cost us at least a goal and maybe even two. Gogo needs sent down when Letang is healthy because he got outworked in the corner by non other than Shawn Thornton, their tough guy. When that happens, it is time to work out the kinks down in WBS. Dupuis was by far the best player on the ice for the Pens last night. Crosby tries to make the pretty play too many times and last night it cost him a goal and almost two. Talbot and Staal are just flat out disappointing to me. After Talbot gets under Kessels skin, he should have gone after him the rest of the game. Since Talbot did not do that, Kessel scores the game winner because Talbot decided to play soft the rest of the game. There is no way Staal deserves more than 2 million dollars a season after him not being able to bury that goal in the 3rd period. I guarantee me and half the people that post on this board could have buried that puck against Thomas. I was at the angle and Staal had 80% of the net to shoot at and decided to shoot it right at Thomas's stick. Trade Staal or sign him for a lower price because he is not worth the big bucks yet. Gill looked sloppy last night, but it was his first game back, so I will not go off on him yet. Wallace and Jeffrey played well and Wallace is proving himself to Pittsburgh management that he wants to stay with the big club. He knew he was outmatched, but he had the marbles to go with Lucic while nobody else in the lineup would go with him. Cooke and Sykora I thought had solid games. Scuderi played well and Eaton played pretty good for the most part. Orpik was so-so, but he can play better. Other than that, that is what I thought from my vantage point in C-20. Happy New Year's Everybody!!!
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Thought from Last Nights Game

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:11 pm

Old Time Hockey wrote:Gogo needs sent down when Letang is healthy because he got outworked in the corner by non other than Shawn Thornton, their tough guy. When that happens, it is time to work out the kinks down in WBS.

Gogo is an offensive defensemen, not a 4th line grinder. You can't single him our for being outworked, because everyone on the team has been outworked.

As far as Talbot, I'll continue to defend him. His play has been extremely subpar this season. However I still believe he has been improving these past 3 or 4 games. No one was really that good last night except Dupuis, but Max has been getting better.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:13 pm

Old Time Hockey wrote:Gogo needs sent down when Letang is healthy because he got outworked in the corner by non other than Shawn Thornton, their tough guy. When that happens, it is time to work out the kinks down in WBS.

Gogo is an offensive defensemen, not a 4th line grinder. You can't single him our for being outworked, because everyone on the team has been outworked.

As far as Talbot, I'll continue to defend him. His play has been extremely subpar this season. However I still believe he has been improving these past 3 or 4 games. No one was really that good last night except Dupuis, but Max has been getting better.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Admin on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:13 pm

Old Time Hockey wrote:I was at the angle and Staal had 80% of the net to shoot at and decided to shoot it right at Thomas's stick.

Replay showed that shot would have missed the goal. He shot it back into Thomas.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:35 pm

The simple excuse for the lack of consistent play is that they are missing their most consistent "effort" player in Kennedy, their everything Defenseman in Gonchar and their hopeful signing of Satan as Crosby's wing has been an absolute bomb.

I don't fault the kids who have been brought up as injury fill-ins, but only Jeffrey has made plays that resulted in any kind of danger to the opposition. Wallace has at least played hard and taken the body, but he is not able to produce any real chances with the puck. The idea that we can plug in 3 or 4 of these guys, play a rookie on the point on the PP along with Geno and have any kind of consistent results is kind of unrealistic.

The Pens system is derived from puck pressure in all zones, and collapsing to the box when the opponent penetrates our zone. Right now, with subpar play from Talbot, an absolute disappearing act from Satan and the loss of Kennedy also impacting Staal - they are not capable of playing that system and winning.

I don't know that we can scrap a system that we have played since Therrien arrived, so the answer would seem to be to have the guys that have been here just simply give more. To me, those three are Talbot, Staal and Satan. That is a list of 3 guys that are killing 3 lines by not carrying their own weight in terms of effort and results.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins