Spread the wealth on PP!!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Spread the wealth on PP!!!

Postby FuturePens on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:05 pm

The PP has ugly and incosistant the entire year...

- The Penguins only average a little more then 1 shot per PP - not enough at all...
- No bodies infront of the net to create traffic
- NO work down low
- Crosby and Malkin are used incorrectly
- 2 many 2 full minutes for top unit
- Terrible second unit
- Not enough movement - too much passing - hence, again, not enough shooting

Conclusion:

Split up Crosby and Malkin on the first PP and have Boucher and Gogo play the second PP with Malkin or Crosby and have Whinety and Letang (upon return) with Malkin or Crosby...

I would seriously let someone like Wallace screen the goalie...

Thoughts?
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Spread the wealth on PP!!!

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:30 pm

Put the 4th line on and tell them to just play like it's 5 on 5.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:38 pm

PP is not working because of the system it uses. You see other teams shoot, crash the net, look for rebounds, etc.. We don't force enough. We don't force enough on the PK either. We don't force enough in general. One Toronto player said after they whooped our butt is that this was the easiest game they played all season. I mean, we're an easy team to play against. This is not really the players (on the PP problem)... it's mainly the system. We need a drastic change to our PP, whether it is a new idea from Yeo or a PP coach altogether.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:06 pm

I think 19 returning will help open things up. The Pens PP is too static IMO. The lack of a slot/crease presence allows teams to pressure the perimeter and play the angles to clog the passing lanes. 19 can slide down by the half boards and even goal line and have a good angle to pass to 17 & 71 for one timers in the high slot. I'm sure Shero will address the lack of lower slot/crease proficiency at the deadline. MT was trying 48 in that PP role a bit when he was injured.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:13 pm

FuturePens wrote:The PP has ugly and incosistant the entire year...

-
I would seriously let someone like Wallace screen the goalie...

Thoughts?

After seeing him stand in front of Lucic' fists... i would say he wouldnt be afraid of standing in front of the net.. you might be on to something there..
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:18 pm

I wrote this in the Yeo thread, but didn't really get any responses

I think the other problem with the Pens PP is it's really easy to predict where the pucks going to be moving. That a combination of being outworked.

I'd like to see something like this with our current line-up:

In this set-up- you've got Malkin on the half-boards, where he dominated when Crosby was absent last year. Crosby's down low, but not far from the slot where we can easily get a forehand shot off. Crosby and Wallace can criss-cross on the cycle and Whitney and Boucher hold the zone and maybe throw a wrister to the front of the net here and there. With a righty and the lefty criss-crossing with the puck behind the net you naturally have a lot of Kennedy turning shot opportunities (which we've seen Wallace try) and wrap-around opportunities. And Malkin can always skate into the slot and bang one home while the defense are trying to fish out Crosby.

But then Malkin can rotate to the point and suddenly you've got the old Yeo concoction- Whitney can sneak in that backdoor and be feed by Crosby from the half-wall, Malkin can fire the one timer, or Boucher can fire the one timer, with Wallace going hard to the net.

Wallace hasn't really scored, but he's a worker and a hard hitter. Also he gives you that right handed shot from the left for juicy rebounds for Malkin and Crosby to pounce on, and he adds the option of the through the blue-paint pass for an easy shot from Crosby or from him.

When Letang comes back he'd take Boucher's place, when Kennedy comes back he'd take Wallace's place. When Gonchar comes back he'd take Whitney's place.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:25 pm

Whatever mojo 43 had in Dallas a few seasons ago is gone. Age and/or injuries have robbed him of his ability to make plays at tempo. He is a horse ready for the glue factory.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:37 pm

Sarcastic wrote:PP is not working because of the system it uses. You see other teams shoot, crash the net, look for rebounds, etc.. We don't force enough. We don't force enough on the PK either. We don't force enough in general. One Toronto player said after they whooped our butt is that this was the easiest game they played all season. I mean, we're an easy team to play against. This is not really the players (on the PP problem)... it's mainly the system. We need a drastic change to our PP, whether it is a new idea from Yeo or a PP coach altogether.

There is nothing wrong with the system, the players have to shoot. The system they currently run is designed to set up a one timer and have the two players down low finishing rebounds. As it is now, they never shoot. A system change doesn't fix that, only the players can. I'm not arguing whether or not Yeo is any good, but the problem with this PP is the players not the system/coach. Whether its just a matter of the PP going through a rough point because thats what happens at times or the players are actually at fault is the better question.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:PP is not working because of the system it uses. You see other teams shoot, crash the net, look for rebounds, etc.. We don't force enough. We don't force enough on the PK either. We don't force enough in general. One Toronto player said after they whooped our butt is that this was the easiest game they played all season. I mean, we're an easy team to play against. This is not really the players (on the PP problem)... it's mainly the system. We need a drastic change to our PP, whether it is a new idea from Yeo or a PP coach altogether.

There is nothing wrong with the system, the players have to shoot. The system they currently run is designed to set up a one timer and have the two players down low finishing rebounds. As it is now, they never shoot. A system change doesn't fix that, only the players can. I'm not arguing whether or not Yeo is any good, but the problem with this PP is the players not the system/coach. Whether its just a matter of the PP going through a rough point because thats what happens at times or the players are actually at fault is the better question.

Well thats the problem. The system is designed for that one timer. And everyone knows where that one timer will be coming from. And so they cover Gino and he has no shot, passes it, but the pass always comes back. If the one timer were to come from different people, then it might actually work.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:45 pm

that's why having a RH d-man and RH forward are important- suddenly you have a ton of different options
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:51 pm

pensfan20 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Well thats the problem. The system is designed for that one timer. And everyone knows where that one timer will be coming from. And so they cover Gino and he has no shot, passes it, but the pass always comes back. If the one timer were to come from different people, then it might actually work.

Actually they shouldn't know where its coming from. They problem with their version of the Umbrella is that they are directing towards Malkin no matter what. They should really be sending shots from any of the points, they don't need it to all to through the top of the umbrella. In my opinion, Letang should be up on the left point, they should have Whitney at center, and malkin on the right with crosby and whoever else down low. This setup makes the most sense, because a one timer can occur from any of the players at the top of the zone. Again though, the problem isn't the system its the way the players are playing within the system.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:54 pm

Draftnik wrote:Whatever mojo 43 had in Dallas a few seasons ago is gone. Age and/or injuries have robbed him of his ability to make plays at tempo. He is a horse ready for the glue factory.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well put!
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:15 pm

Draftnik wrote:Whatever mojo 43 had in Dallas a few seasons ago is gone. Age and/or injuries have robbed him of his ability to make plays at tempo. He is a horse ready for the glue factory.

True

I hope Letang's back soon
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins