Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Number Nine on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:14 pm

DelPen wrote:My only comment: $4 million for a 3rd line center is too much but $4 million for Sid's LW who has the potential to be a 40 goals scorer and one of the best PK'rs in the NHL is a bargain.

If he can be moved to Sids wing and perform, I would agree. Otherwise, gross overpayment.
Number Nine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby 2headedmonster8771 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:14 pm

Im so tired of this 'Jordan Staal is in a slump' garbage.
Has he been in a 2 and a half year slump then???

Face it, he has regressed since his rookie year.
2headedmonster8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:15 pm

For those of you who think Staal will be a great power forward, let me show you what great power forwards look like:

PF 1
PF 2
PF3

Staal:This
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:15 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
shmenguin wrote:so what would cause an LGP meltdown? anything over 3 mill?

I'd say anything 4 mil or more would cause an epic thread.

Man, you gotta pick the Oscars this year, too, now.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby poisonfan2003 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:16 pm

2headedmonster8771 wrote:Im so tired of this 'Jordan Staal is in a slump' garbage.
Has he been in a 2 and a half year slump then???

Face it, he has regressed since his rookie year.

i agree. Is it so hard to believe his rookie year was an abheration?
poisonfan2003
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:16 pm

DelPen wrote:My only comment: $4 million for a 3rd line center is too much but $4 million for Sid's LW who has the potential to be a 40 goals scorer and one of the best PK'rs in the NHL is a bargain.

Are you implying Staal is going to be Crosby's wing.

:roll:

He's real good at playing that position.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 2headedmonster8771 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:16 pm

Staals gonna score 40 goals someday!?

Yea, and I won the powerball last night...
2headedmonster8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Number Nine wrote:

If he can be moved to Sids wing and perform, I would agree. Otherwise, gross overpayment.

Let's see Staal-Crosby-Kennedy stay together for a while. On paper it has the makings of a really good line. Hopefully this new contract gets Staal back on track again.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:18 pm

2headedmonster8771 wrote:Staals gonna score 40 goals someday!?

Yea, and I won the powerball last night...

BUT HE HAD 29 his rookie year! :roll:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bringitonhome on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:18 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:

Staal is playing on Sid's wing.....

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?servi ... eid=402886
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:19 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:

Exactly. I have seen absolutely zero commitment from management to give him any development time at wing. He lasts 2 games then back to 3rd line center. If the plan is to seriously make him a wing then they need to put him at wing no matter what, or send him to the AHL to develop skills to play at wing. RS's plan is obviously not him at wing.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby poisonfan2003 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:19 pm

bringitonhome wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

Sweet we can watch Sid set him up some more so he can shoot it wide, or flub it into the goalies pads.
poisonfan2003
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Don't like the move. I wanted Staal to get traded for a winger and maybe that can still happen. Staal has potential sure, but I'm just not sure how much. He has regressed since his rookie year in terms of offense and his completely overrated by everyone in hockey in terms of his defense. He is a solid PK'er and has great games every once in awhile. But thats the thing, hes incredibly inconsistent.

But RS loves Staal. Picking Staal was the first thing Shero did here and its not surprising to see him give out this contract. As I said before though, I really hope Jordan proves me wrong I want to see him be great.
Last edited by farnham16 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 pm

bringitonhome wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

He has shown me nothing at that position. I don't even think he was THAT good with Malkin and Mango. The thing is, even if he could play that, he's a better center. And since the Penguins don't have a spot for him on as a center, he is playing below his total value. Other teams have spots for him as a center and thus value him more. When two people value something the other has more than what they have there exists a double coincidence of wants and there is a trade. It worked in the Barter Economy, it works in the Sports Economy. Shero doesn't get it.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby poisonfan2003 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

Exactly. I have seen absolutely zero commitment from management to give him any development time at wing. He lasts 2 games then back to 3rd line center. If the plan is to seriously make him a wing then they need to put him at wing no matter what, or send him to the AHL to develop skills to play at wing. RS's plan is obviously not him at wing.

Stall has clearly said many a time, HE DOES NOT want to play wing. He wants to play center. That is aside from the fact he looks like a drunk kip miller on the wing.
poisonfan2003
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:For those of you who think Staal will be a great power forward, let me show you what great power forwards look like:

PF 1
PF 2
PF3

LOL, what nonsense! Go look at Tocchet's first few seasons when he was Staal's age. Go look at Neely's first seasons with Vancouver before they gave up on him. Did you even know he was on Vancouver? Your post sums up the absurdity of people who think he's a finished product at age 20. You disproved yourself without even realizing it. Staal is not a finished product. Power forwards take time to develop, more time than spoiled, bandwagon Penguins fans can take because they think every 18-year-old will be a Crosby or Malkin.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:21 pm

Penguins can sign me for .5 million. Its cheaper than Staal.

I will do the same thing such as not being able to pass, skate, make moves, fight for the puck on the boards, not being able to gain the offensive zone, dumping a puck on a powerplay right to the other team, and not being able to finish plays for goals. I could save the team 3.5 million a year. Just give me a call RS.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:21 pm

Staal-Crosby-Kennedy
Sykora-Malkin-Satan
Cooke-Talbot-Gologoski
Wallace-Jeffrey-Godard

Interesting 3rd line
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby czwalga on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:21 pm

DelPen wrote:
Number Nine wrote:

Let's see Staal-Crosby-Kennedy stay together for a while. On paper it has the makings of a really good line. Hopefully this new contract gets Staal back on track again.

I'd like to see that line or dupuis in place of kennedy for 5 games in a row.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby poisonfan2003 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:22 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:My only comment: $4 million for a 3rd line center

He has shown me nothing at that position. I don't even think he was THAT good with Malkin and Mango. The thing is, even if he could play that, he's a better center. And since the Penguins don't have a spot for him on as a center, he is playing below his total value. Other teams have spots for him as a center and thus value him more. When two people value something the other has more than what they have there exists a double coincidence of wants and there is a trade. It worked in the Barter Economy, it works in the Sports Economy. Shero doesn't get it.

Exactly my point. Shero has shown he can collect talent, he has not proven he can build a team.
Last edited by poisonfan2003 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poisonfan2003
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby 2headedmonster8771 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Oh Sid, I feel so bad for you. Geno, you get Satan...ohhh way to surround your superstars Shero...

Gogo playing wing again instead of defense. What a waste. Just send him down to Wilkes Barre if your gonna treat him like crap for being one of the best defensemen on the team this year.
2headedmonster8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:23 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:For those of you who think Staal will be a great power forward, let me show you what great power forwards look like:

PF 1
PF 2
PF3

LOL, what nonsense! Go look at Tocchet's first few seasons when he was Staal's age. Go look at Neely's first seasons with Vancouver before they gave up on him. Did you even know he was on Vancouver? Your post sums up the absurdity of people who think he's a finished product at age 20. You disproved yourself without even realizing it. Staal is not a finished product. Power forwards take time to develop, more time than spoiled, bandwagon Penguins fans can take because they think every 18-year-old will be a Crosby or Malkin.

Look at Tocchet's mean streak in his rookie year. Regardless of his statistics, he shows many things Staal doesn't even know exist. My post wasn't to mirror statistics, my post was to force people to imagine Staal playing like Tocchet, Neely, or Forsberg. Can you seriously see that?!

Maybe Primeau or Brind'Amour - roles this team does not need him to do. But Neely or Tocchet. Come one!

EDIT: Also I don't think the numbers even disprove my point. They're consistently improving. I don't think Staal is a waste of a player, I think he is a waster of a winger. And I think it's absurd to call him a Power Forward.
Last edited by TheHammer24 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:23 pm

darkstar57 wrote:Staal-Crosby-Kennedy
Sykora-Malkin-Satan
Cooke-Talbot-Gologoski
Wallace-Jeffrey-Godard

Interesting 3rd line

Having Gologoski at wing is so weak. That just tells you right there all you need to know about Pittsburgh's depth at wing.
Last edited by farnham16 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby poisonfan2003 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:24 pm

farnham16 wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:Staal-Crosby-Kennedy
Sykora-Malkin-Satan
Cooke-Talbot-Gologoski
Wallace-Jeffrey-Godard

Interesting 3rd line

Having Gologoski at wing is so weak. That just tells you right there all you need to know about Pittsburgh depth at wing.

but we dont need no wingers - LOL we have God-Crosby-Kennedy on the first line.
poisonfan2003
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby czwalga on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:25 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:

NOT suggesting anything, but i'd argue he has more trade value now than before he was signed. :wink:
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins