Chris Neil?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Chris Neil?

Postby The Current One on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:21 pm

If he's available, I think he'd be a great fit for the Pens. They could definitely use some added toughness on the wing, and even though he's not a prolific scorer by any means, he does have decent hands and instincts, and I think he'd be great on Sid's wing. You could probably stick him in front of the net as well on the power play, if for no other reason than to have somebody who's not afraid to take a pounding.

Edit - Not sure what his salary numbers are.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Chris Neil?

Postby KG on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Neil makes $1.2MM this year and is a UFA at seasons end. He will most likely get traded...It depends on if the pens will be buyers or sellers...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:25 pm

The Current One wrote:If he's available, I think he'd be a great fit for the Pens. They could definitely use some added toughness on the wing, and even though he's not a prolific scorer by any means, he does have decent hands and instincts, and I think he'd be great on Sid's wing. You could probably stick him in front of the net as well on the power play, if for no other reason than to have somebody who's not afraid to take a pounding.

I too would love to see him here. In fact, I've thought of this on numerous occasions. He'd add some more sandpaper, which is much, much needed.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:29 pm

KG wrote:Neil makes $1.2MM this year and is a UFA at seasons end. He will most likely get traded...It depends on if the pens will be buyers or sellers...

I can't see how they will be sellers in entirely. They are three points out of 7th place, even after 2 months of bad hockey. At very worst, they will be fighting for a playoff spot, which puts them as buyers, not sellers.

Now, with that being said, I can see an attempt to trade some dead weight -- Satan, Boucher, Eaton, etc. But sellers in the true sense of the word? Absolutely not.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Defence21 wrote:
KG wrote:Neil makes $1.2MM this year and is a UFA at seasons end. He will most likely get traded...It depends on if the pens will be buyers or sellers...

I can't see how they will be sellers in entirely. They are three points out of 7th place, even after 2 months of bad hockey. At very worst, they will be fighting for a playoff spot, which puts them as buyers, not sellers.

Now, with that being said, I can see an attempt to trade some dead weight -- Satan, Boucher, Eaton, etc. But sellers in the true sense of the word? Absolutely not.

Agreed. Dead weight could easily get moved and they could still be buyers...Not so sure if they should move a core guys though (Staal, Whitney)...I could see a Goligoski getting moved for a younger forward...

Goligoski and Tampa's 3rd round pick for Vermette and Neil? :thumb: :?:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:32 pm

The same Chris Neil who was so awful in the series against us last year? He took one selfish penalty after another. No thank you to giving up anything to get a guy like that. This team isn't Cup contender material, even with him, so why would you give up an asset to get him?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ron` on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:37 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:The same Chris Neil who was so awful in the series against us last year? He took one selfish penalty after another. No thank you to giving up anything to get a guy like that. This team isn't Cup contender material, even with him, so why would you give up an asset to get him?
Well stated.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:37 pm

Defence21 wrote:

Agree unless the barn catches fire real soon.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:46 pm

I really don't want to bring him here, especially after all the time I've spent mocking him.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:01 pm

I'd be much more interested in Vermette if they're actually selling. He hasn't done much so far this season, but to be fair neither has the entire team in Ottawa or his center, Mike Fisher. He shouldn't be terribly difficult to obtain if Ottawa is looking to sell as much as rumor says they are, given that he hasn't been much of a big number guy of late. Given their terrible transition game I think someone in the glut of o-minded D we have here could do it, paired with a pick depending on which defenseman it is (Boucher) or perhaps even with Ottawa throwing in a late pick if it's one of the other guys.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby evm71 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 pm

This bozo takes too many dumb penalties.
evm71

Postby KG on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:28 pm

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/ott090120.html

Sens should be sellers..Ruutu's name is listed... = )
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:43 pm

The Current One wrote:If he's available, I think he'd be a great fit for the Pens. They could definitely use some added toughness on the wing, and even though he's not a prolific scorer by any means, he does have decent hands and instincts, and I think he'd be great on Sid's wing. You could probably stick him in front of the net as well on the power play, if for no other reason than to have somebody who's not afraid to take a pounding.

Chris Neil - are you serious,Sid's winger? :) I rather see Godard there whole season :)
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby crayz on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:46 pm

yuck...That is one guy I really have no aspirations of ever seeing in a Pens uniform. He's an idiot that is a few notches lower the Jarko Ruutu...who I didn't mind in a pens uniform.

No self control....If we want to spend extra time on the PK...then sure bring him in, otherwise i'd rather not ever....
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:49 pm

Schubert is the guy to get from Ottawa.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby psurh22 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Defence21 wrote:
KG wrote:Now, with that being said, I can see an attempt to trade some dead weight -- Satan, Boucher, Eaton, etc. But sellers in the true sense of the word? Absolutely not.

As an aside, Mark Eaton has been even or better in 29 of the 36 games he's dressed in this season and 20 of his last 24. He's regaining his form and it's really tough to consider a guy like that dead weight, imo.
psurh22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:59 pm

Draftnik wrote:Schubert is the guy to get from Ottawa.

Schubert is an even better option now considering how much the PK has sunk. They could use a guy like that cleaning up in front of the net. Their play in front of the net on both ends of the ice has been a sizeable part of their problems this season.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby K2 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Agreed. Neil wouldn't be terrible to get, but he doesn't really fill a power forward role. As for Vermette, that guy's been mentioned in every Ottawa trade rumor the past 2-3 years. IMO, he's over-valued in the hockey world
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ron` on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:09 pm

K2 wrote:

Agreed. Neil wouldn't be terrible to get, but he doesn't really fill a power forward role. As for Vermette, that guy's been mentioned in every Ottawa trade rumor the past 2-3 years. IMO, he's over-valued in the hockey world
I was wondering what is up with Schubert. Can't say anything specific good or bad due to not watching many Sens games this season. He's not noticable anymore, ie. doesn't seem to be much of a factor this season to me though. Anyone know if he's hurt/damaged goods or just floating?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:15 pm

I think the whole team is floating right now.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:59 pm

evm71 wrote:This bozo takes too many dumb penalties.

I don't think its a matter of taking dumb penalties as much as it is wearing several different hats since McGratton left. Neil is probably the hardest working player on the Sens. He can scrap, crash the net, bang in the corners and can finish when the pucks on his stick. I brought his name up this past summer in a thread about potential UFA's in 09. I got laughed at then like I'm certain I will be now, but I still think Neil would be a good fit on either of the top two lines. Look at the impact Cooke had on the top line. Obviously Malone has been missed and Staal is nowhere near being able to fill his shoes. With guys like Brown and Hunter locked up and probably unavailable nomatter the cost, a guy like Neil would be an affordable fit.

Bottom line, we need some size and attitude on the top lines......Neil fills that.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby neophool on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Neil is a less skilled, less controlled, arguably uglier version of Rutuu imo. no thanks.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:43 pm

meecrofilm wrote:I think the whole team is floating right now.

You know whats sad? When you say the whole team (I say it too) we're really referring to 4 or 5 forwards because I think we've got pretty decent third and fourth lines. Furthermore, you would be hard pressed to argue Sid and Malkin float because they are the hardest working guys on the ice, hands down. So realistically, we're talking about Sykora, Satan, Staal, Dupuis and whoever else is filling the top lines. The fact of the matter is not one of these guys is capable of contributing on a regular basis without 87 or 71.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, I believe Therrien is a big system guy, not a big energy guy and I think its evident in the way this team plays. The four wingers on our top two lines are typically standing around waiting to be spoon fed a pass. There is very little in terms of driving to the net, digging in the corners etc.

This team is desperately in need of a new identity. Right now, we are a team that is maxed in payroll, plentiful in skill both up front and on the blueline, yet plays a very soft trap. New Jersey and Minnesota have both been crucified over the years for playing a boring game, "sucking the life out of the building." But the fact of the matter is the Penguins play the same system. The difference is the Devils and Wild are both very well coached and hard working teams, the Pens are not. The Wild and Devils both play a defensive minded game but manage to create alot of opportunity (and shots) through hard work. As if playing the trap with Crosby and Malkin isn't a sin in itself, the Penguins choose to play it without a fraction of the work ethic that the Wild or Devils do. The result is the nightmare we are becoming used to seeing on a regular basis. As fans, I think we tend to see the team with selective vision. We over analyze some things, over embellish others and ignore other parts of their game all together. I think what bothers me most is when I have the time to watch other games around the league on Center Ice, I can't help but notice that we have become one of the most boring, lifeless teams in the league.

My point, if there is one, is that what Shero has tried isn't working right now. This team needs an identity, some personality and it has to start with the coaching staff. Therrien's system and Yeo's PP dry erase board are sucking the life out of this team and sucking the energy out of those who support this team. Its time for some change, both personnel and coaching staff.

Sorry for the long rant.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:49 pm

NJ5934 wrote:

You know whats sad? When you say the whole team (I say it too) we're really referring to 4 or 5 forwards because I think we've got pretty decent third and fourth lines. Furthermore, you would be hard pressed to argue Sid and Malkin float because they are the hardest working guys on the ice, hands down. So realistically, we're talking about Sykora, Satan, Staal, Dupuis and whoever else is filling the top lines. The fact of the matter is not one of these guys is capable of contributing on a regular basis without 87 or 71.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, I believe Therrien is a big system guy, not a big energy guy and I think its evident in the way this team plays. The four wingers on our top two lines are typically standing around waiting to be spoon fed a pass. There is very little in terms of driving to the net, digging in the corners etc.

This team is desperately in need of a new identity. Right now, we are a team that is maxed in payroll, plentiful in skill both up front and on the blueline, yet plays a very soft trap. New Jersey and Minnesota have both been crucified over the years for playing a boring game, "sucking the life out of the building." But the fact of the matter is the Penguins play the same system. The difference is the Devils and Wild are both very well coached and hard working teams, the Pens are not. The Wild and Devils both play a defensive minded game but manage to create alot of opportunity (and shots) through hard work. As if playing the trap with Crosby and Malkin isn't a sin in itself, the Penguins choose to play it without a fraction of the work ethic that the Wild or Devils do. The result is the nightmare we are becoming used to seeing on a regular basis. As fans, I think we tend to see the team with selective vision. We over analyze some things, over embellish others and ignore other parts of their game all together. I think what bothers me most is when I have the time to watch other games around the league on Center Ice, I can't help but notice that we have become one of the most boring, lifeless teams in the league.

My point, if there is one, is that what Shero has tried isn't working right now. This team needs an identity, some personality and it has to start with the coaching staff. Therrien's system and Yeo's PP dry erase board are sucking the life out of this team and sucking the energy out of those who support this team. Its time for some change, both personnel and coaching staff.

Sorry for the long rant.

I think he was referring to the Sens floating, but the Pens certainly are too
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby neophool on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:54 pm

NJ5934 wrote:

Sorry for the long rant.

this is a good post.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins