How about Whitney for a couple Leafs wingers?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How about Whitney for a couple Leafs wingers?

Postby FuturePens on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:32 pm

...Whitney for forwards Nik Antropov and Alexei Ponikarovsky ?

Nik Antropov: GP47 G13 A22 6'6 Left Wing

Alexei Ponikarovsky GP47 G14 A16 6'4 Left Wing

itnhttp://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor090123.html

The more I think about this, the more I think that this move could solve a lot of problems...

A. Bring big bodies into the line-up = better screens in front of the net, esp. on the PP.
B. WE NEED WINGERS that can score and score some dirty goals
C. We have only 3 left wingers on the roster...Dupuis and Feds and Cookie...and 2 of them are on the IR right now...

Heck...I'd even throw a pick or prospect in for the Leafs for this trade.

LETS GO PENS!
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: How about Whitney for a couple Leafs wingers?

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Whitney isn't even close to the kind of defenseman that Mr Burke likes.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FuturePens on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:35 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:Whitney isn't even close to the kind of defenseman that Mr Burke likes.

Well...to be honest...I love Gogo...but I would not mind parting with him either to get these 2 guys...
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:Whitney isn't even close to the kind of defenseman that Mr Burke likes.

lol calling him "Mr Burke" like he's your school teacher. 8-)
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:38 pm

What would you do with Staal's $4 million contract?

Oh wait....he's going to win a Selke as a 3rd liner.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FuturePens on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:51 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:What would you do with Staal's $4 million contract?

I would not touch Staal...at least not in this trade...or any if possible...

Sid and Geno could play together and Staal could become a second line center...
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:53 pm

SUBJECT CHANGE!!!!!!

On topic, where would we fit their salaries?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 2headedmonster8771 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:58 pm

*sigh*

You CANNOT put Crosby and Malkin together on a line for an extended amount of time. All it is, is trying to put them together since our wingers are garbage and they are the only two who do anything. Once (if) we ever get a scoring winger, they will be separated.

They are both CENTERS. They are both PLAYMAKERS. And the best two in the league at that, they each NEED their own line.
2headedmonster8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:03 pm

This is a start, but i don;t think its a cure all. i think we need to bring balance to our top 2 lines. With Malkin playing with Sykora and Feds once he is back, that line was good for a while. Sid you might have to wait til next year to find him the right peices for a line Satan didn;t pan out, and i don;t see any team picking him up or giving us a return that you can put on Sids line.

i would be all for Gaborik since if you get a player like that you can still use cooke or Dupise on that top line and don;t need another forward. If you can't get Gaborik you need 2 equal wingers on the sides of Sid .
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Antropov is a pending UFA. Whitney won't get moved for something like that. He needs to get moved for a forward who is locked up long term...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FuturePens on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:

SUBJECT CHANGE!!!!!!

23 Ponikarovsky, Alexei L 28 2.105 186 2.105 1.575 2.240 2.500 UFA
80 Antropov, Nik C 28 2.050 186 2.050 1.950 2.150 UFA

Together they would be making 4.1 Million this year....4.5 next year
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php? ... eason=0809

Whitney's salary this year:
19 Whitney, Ryan D 25 4.000 186 4.000 2.500 3.000 3.500 4.500 5.000 5.500

Affordable?

I would say...definetely!
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:08 pm

That's not enough for Whitney. The last healthy season Whitney had, he was about a 60 point scorer. That's elite production from D. If he gets back to that level, which I think is a reasonable expectation, he's a steal at $4 million a year for the next four years. The only way I'd trade him is for a winger of equal value who is at a similar age, who is trending upward, who the team will control for several years. Selling him off for quantity is a losing trade. Quality for quantity talent dilution deals rarely ever end up favoring the team getting the quantity. Whitney is a very valuable asset that shouldn't be wasted.

You CANNOT put Crosby and Malkin together on a line for an extended amount of time. All it is, is trying to put them together since our wingers are garbage and they are the only two who do anything. Once (if) we ever get a scoring winger, they will be separated.

They are both CENTERS. They are both PLAYMAKERS. And the best two in the league at that, they each NEED their own line.

I don't agree with that. They're play makers, but they're also guys that can finish. Yes, Crosby too. I think they make each other better because it's not easy to find guys that can work on their level. I don't have the stats but I bet they both benefit with more production when they are playing together. The biggest positive you get from playing them separate is that they are guys that can carry a line and make other players better. I think you get the most from them when they're together, but you get the most from other players when they're apart. I'm on board with Crosby and Malkin playing together now because I think Staal is closer and closer to the point where he can anchor a scoring line. They certainly didn't draft him to be a third liner center and they didn't sign him to a $16 million extension to be a third line center. The team will never be able to get Crosby and Malkin the type of wingers people want them to have without sacrificing on D and in goal. I think the only long-term arrangement that sees them playing with elite players on an elite team is to play them together.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:11 pm

FuturePens wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:

SUBJECT CHANGE!!!!!!

23 Ponikarovsky, Alexei L 28 2.105 186 2.105 1.575 2.240 2.500 UFA
80 Antropov, Nik C 28 2.050 186 2.050 1.950 2.150 UFA

Together they would be making 4.1 Million this year....4.5 next year
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php? ... eason=0809

Whitney's salary this year:
19 Whitney, Ryan D 25 4.000 186 4.000 2.500 3.000 3.500 4.500 5.000 5.500

Affordable?

I would say...definetely!

Antropov would be a rental and Ponikarovsky would be an extended rental. i'd take a sign-and-trade only for this deal.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 2headedmonster8771 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:21 pm

All I can say is, look at last year. Crosby and Malkin centering their own line got us to the cup. Cooke is no Malone, but he plays a similar style I'd say. Yea we had Hossa for Crosby, and we need to get Sid a winger again this year. And I'm gonna have to disagree on Staal. He is nowhere near being a top 6 player at this point in his career.

Last year...
Dupuis-Crosby-Hossa
Malone-Malkin-Sykora

This year...
Dupuis-Crosby-X (it really cant be stressed enough, Crosby NEEDS a winger!)
Cooke-Malkin-Sykora (good enough I'd say, Cooke will do the little things like go to the net as Malone did)
2headedmonster8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Angle on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:26 pm

FuturePens wrote:...Whitney for forwards Nik Antropov and Alexei Ponikarovsky ?

Nik Antropov: GP47 G13 A22 6'6 Left Wing

Alexei Ponikarovsky GP47 G14 A16 6'4 Left Wing

itnhttp://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor090123.html

The more I think about this, the more I think that this move could solve a lot of problems...

A. Bring big bodies into the line-up = better screens in front of the net, esp. on the PP.
B. WE NEED WINGERS that can score and score some dirty goals
C. We have only 3 left wingers on the roster...Dupuis and Feds and Cookie...and 2 of them are on the IR right now...

Heck...I'd even throw a pick or prospect in for the Leafs for this trade.

LETS GO PENS!

Yeah because the last time we went after a pair of wings from a bottom-dwelling team, it worked out real well.
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 pm

2headedmonster8771 wrote:All I can say is, look at last year. Crosby and Malkin centering their own line got us to the cup. Cooke is no Malone, but he plays a similar style I'd say. Yea we had Hossa for Crosby, and we need to get Sid a winger again this year. And I'm gonna have to disagree on Staal. He is nowhere near being a top 6 player at this point in his career.

Last year...
Dupuis-Crosby-Hossa
Malone-Malkin-Sykora

This year...
Cooke-Malkin-Sykora (good enough I'd say, Cooke will do the little things like go to the net as Malone did)

True, but we'll probably have to fill Sid's wing this off-season. I don't see Shero making a blockbuster deal this season. I'd personally like to see:

St. Louis - Crosby - Cooke
Fedetenko - Malkin - Sykora
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:28 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
2headedmonster8771 wrote:All I can say is, look at last year. Crosby and Malkin centering their own line got us to the cup. Cooke is no Malone, but he plays a similar style I'd say. Yea we had Hossa for Crosby, and we need to get Sid a winger again this year. And I'm gonna have to disagree on Staal. He is nowhere near being a top 6 player at this point in his career.

Last year...
Dupuis-Crosby-Hossa
Malone-Malkin-Sykora

This year...

True, but we'll probably have to fill Sid's wing this off-season. I don't see Shero making a blockbuster deal this season. I'd personally like to see:

How is St. Louis not blockbuster?!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby conforto45 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:30 pm

only way you can keep Sid and Geno together is if we get another scoring winger for the 2nd line, and if Staal continues to play the way he has been the last 5-6 games

Malkin-Crosby-Cooke
(trade)-Staal-Sykora
Kennedy-Talbot-Satan
GODard-Jeffrey-BizNasty/Minard
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:33 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:

Last year...
Dupuis-Crosby-Hossa
Malone-Malkin-Sykora

This year...

How is St. Louis not blockbuster?!

I meant, during the season.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FuturePens on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:37 pm

conforto45 wrote:only way you can keep Sid and Geno together is if we get another scoring winger for the 2nd line, and if Staal continues to play the way he has been the last 5-6 games

Malkin-Crosby-Cooke
(trade)-Staal-Sykora
Kennedy-Talbot-Satan

Exactly...

and don't forget if we would get Martin St. L. and he would play with Sid...Malkin an Staal have played together almost an entire season together and we know the results...

But again...Staal does need to be playing like he has been recently for an extended period of time that's for sure...
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:41 pm

FuturePens wrote:
conforto45 wrote:only way you can keep Sid and Geno together is if we get another scoring winger for the 2nd line, and if Staal continues to play the way he has been the last 5-6 games

Malkin-Crosby-Cooke
(trade)-Staal-Sykora
Kennedy-Talbot-Satan

Exactly...

and don't forget if we would get Martin St. L. and he would play with Sid...Malkin an Staal have played together almost an entire season together and we know the results...

But again...Staal does need to be playing like he has been recently for an extended period of time that's for sure...

How in the World can we afford Martin St. Louis' 6-7 million dollar contract?~ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

EDIT: ANd what in the World makes you think Jordan Staal can play wing at a level other $4 million wingers play.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:44 pm

Trading Satan, Eaton frees up enough space for St. Louis I believe. And Tampa's dumb enough to do it. Plus they're desperate. It won't happen, but it would be cool.

Oh, and Eklund has some BS up that we're interested in Prucha. :roll: :roll: :roll:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby conforto45 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:46 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Trading Satan, Eaton frees up enough space for St. Louis I believe. And Tampa's dumb enough to do it. Plus they're desperate. It won't happen, but it would be cool.

Oh, and Eklund has some BS up that we're interested in Prucha. :roll: :roll: :roll:

again? werent we interested in Prucha 2 years ago? Malone for Prucha, that sounds familiar...

i wouldve rather had Malone then.. and i wish we still had Malone now
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Everytime I think about Ruslan's broken bone... not the answer, but with him on a wing, pens could split Evgeni and Sid. But, I'm not ready to toss R Whitney out. We have seen Brooks & R Scuderi, both take some years to play at a high level.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FuturePens on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:50 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
FuturePens wrote:

Malkin-Crosby-Cooke
(trade)-Staal-Sykora
Kennedy-Talbot-Satan

Exactly...

How in the World can we afford Martin St. Louis' 6-7 million dollar contract?~ :roll:

EDIT: ANd what in the World makes you think Jordan Staal can play wing at a level other $4 million wingers play.

EDIT: your millions of googily eyes...well, i left one for ya...

anyway...If we can trade Boucher and Whitney and Mr. Satan somehow we could afford him...

Staal can play man...he' 20 years old!!! ...look at Eric...he sucked for a couple of seasons too...it takes time to develope...give him a break...in a year or two, you'll be happy he isn't making more then 4 mill.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins