Let's see who gets self-righteous over this...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Let's see who gets self-righteous over this...

Postby Elivenspire on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:20 am

burghsportsguys wrote:I guess when you're 24, and your "early Pens memories" are of them sucking in the early 2000s (by the way, didn't they lose in the ECFs in the early 00s), you kind of don't have a sense of what LONG-TIME Pens fans have been through. And my guess is that most of the, how you say, "haters" are actually those that have been through a lot more than that blogger. Maybe you had to live through things like a 42-game winless streak at the Spectrum to really appreciate the ups and downs of NHL fandom.

Most of the bandwagon jumpers don't even know enough about the team to even make a reasonable critique.

I saw plenty of older fans booing, so there goes that argument you had. I sit next to some people who've had season tickets for upwards of 30 years, and they booed. So nice try at making this a 'you young whippersnappers don't know a good thing when you see it' argument. Thanks for trying though.
Elivenspire
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby burghsportsguys on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Elivenspire wrote:
burghsportsguys wrote:I guess when you're 24, and your "early Pens memories" are of them sucking in the early 2000s (by the way, didn't they lose in the ECFs in the early 00s), you kind of don't have a sense of what LONG-TIME Pens fans have been through. And my guess is that most of the, how you say, "haters" are actually those that have been through a lot more than that blogger. Maybe you had to live through things like a 42-game winless streak at the Spectrum to really appreciate the ups and downs of NHL fandom.

Most of the bandwagon jumpers don't even know enough about the team to even make a reasonable critique.

I saw plenty of older fans booing, so there goes that argument you had. I sit next to some people who've had season tickets for upwards of 30 years, and they booed. So nice try at making this a 'you young whippersnappers don't know a good thing when you see it' argument. Thanks for trying though.

my guess is that most of the, how you say, "haters" are actually those that have been through a lot more than that blogger

Ummm, something was lost for you in translation... my point is that it's the OLDER, long-time fans that are booing. The ones that know more about this team than anyone are the ones booing. It's not the "young, bandwagon" fans. It's people that have been with this team through thick and thin, that understand more about the ups and downs of the Pens than that blogger can even begin to fathom.

Actually, I'm 24 and my some of my oldest Pens memories are of them missing the playoffs in 89-90. I'm sorry I wasn't born earlier, I guess I'm a "bandwagoner" since I missed the seventies. I honestly can't figure out which is more annoying: fans that keep crapping on the team, as mentioned in the article, or fans that continue to crap on other fans.
I guess when you're 24, and your "early Pens memories" are of them sucking in the early 2000s (by the way, didn't they lose in the ECFs in the early 00s), you kind of don't have a sense of what LONG-TIME Pens fans have been through. And my guess is that most of the, how you say, "haters" are actually those that have been through a lot more than that blogger. Maybe you had to live through things like a 42-game winless streak at the Spectrum to really appreciate the ups and downs of NHL fandom.

cundalini wrote:Actually, I'm 24 and my some of my oldest Pens memories are of them missing the playoffs in 89-90. I'm sorry I wasn't born earlier, I guess I'm a "bandwagoner" since I missed the seventies. I honestly can't figure out which is more annoying: fans that keep crapping on the team, as mentioned in the article, or fans that continue to crap on other fans.

I'm not sure who called you a "bandwagoner", certainly wasn't me. Mr. Bloggy was throwing out the term referring to those that boo. Obviously you can only start rooting for the team once you're alive, so I can't imagine you could have been a fan in the 70s. If you can remember 89-90 at 5 years old, that's pretty impressive. Point is, as stated above, it's not the bandwagoners that boo, it's the long-time fans that know more about ups and downs than that blogger will ever know.

I do know what's most annoying: fans that act like they are better than others because they don't boo. Some people need to get over themselves.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:12 pm

I just find it funny how many people are too non-intelligent to tell the difference between being critical of something and "hating" something. Even though they are mutually exclusive, some people just fail to grasp the concept.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby muffinarm on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:47 pm

I saw way too many of those horrible Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia games during that losing streak that lasted over 10 years. I remember being at the last game of that losing streak, a 4-3 loss that had a lenghty brawl in the second period. Just to show that this year's squad does not have a monopoly on blowing leads, the Pens blew an early 2-0 lead in that one. I also recall that game as being of the first Tom Barrasso played as a Penguin. But at least at that point the team was improving - they actually made the playoffs that year for something like the first time in seven years. Now the 80's, they were ugly, home of the original our team is bankrupt.
muffinarm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Jim wrote:I just find it funny how many people are too non-intelligent to tell the difference between being critical of something and "hating" something. Even though they are mutually exclusive, some people just fail to grasp the concept.

I find it funny that people are actually discussing this and care how other people view a hockey team.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:14 am

pfim wrote:
Jim wrote:I just find it funny how many people are too non-intelligent to tell the difference between being critical of something and "hating" something. Even though they are mutually exclusive, some people just fail to grasp the concept.

I find it funny that people are actually discussing this and care how other people view a hockey team.

Good thing I did not bother to discus the actual topic of the thread then, :)
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins