could jagr really be had for league min?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: could jagr really be had for league min?

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:10 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:No.

Even if he would play for league minimum, and I don't know why anybody would assume that the supremely flighty Jaromir Jagr would actually follow through on something he said to the Czech press, he's under contract in Russia for two seasons without an out clause. Ain't happening.

His team has already breached contract by not paying him. He can leave any time he wants.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HomerPenguin on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:21 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:

Even if he would play for league minimum, and I don't know why anybody would assume that the supremely flighty Jaromir Jagr would actually follow through on something he said to the Czech press, he's under contract in Russia for two seasons without an out clause. Ain't happening.

His team has already breached contract by not paying him. He can leave any time he wants.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/s ... id=3828261

There have been rumors KHL teams are having trouble making payroll or there may be calls for players to roll back their salaries. Jagr said there has not been an issue of being paid in Omsk.

Rest assured, the moment Jagr's checks stop coming in, he'll be coming back to North America and to the NHL, where he had a number of offseason offers, including a whopper of more than $8 million per year from Edmonton.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:22 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/s ... id=3828261

There have been rumors KHL teams are having trouble making payroll or there may be calls for players to roll back their salaries. Jagr said there has not been an issue of being paid in Omsk.

Rest assured, the moment Jagr's checks stop coming in, he'll be coming back to North America and to the NHL, where he had a number of offseason offers, including a whopper of more than $8 million per year from Edmonton.

Oh.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shane613 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:43 pm

i remember hearing that he does have an out clause after this season, he can return to the NHL if he wants. if you have proof that this doesn't exist, then you're the smartest person on the message board FOR REAL! if not, don't be so definitive on everything. thanks!
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:56 pm

As I understood it, Jagr's comments were in reference to a year and a half from now, when the contact with Omsk expires. He wasn't looking to come back now, or even next season.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dagny on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:26 pm

netwolf wrote:As I understood it, Jagr's comments were in reference to a year and a half from now, when the contact with Omsk expires. He wasn't looking to come back now, or even next season.

Unless the KHL folds before his contract is up.

But you probably won't see this, since you have me on ignore. :P
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:27 pm

No I don't. Mods aren't allowed to ignore anyone. :P
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:59 pm

shane613 wrote:

i remember hearing that he does have an out clause after this season, he can return to the NHL if he wants. if you have proof that this doesn't exist, then you're the smartest person on the message board FOR REAL! if not, don't be so definitive on everything. thanks!

Since all the reporting on Jagr's contract has said that he doesn't have such a clause, shouldn't you be the one who has to provide evidence that he does?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HomerPenguin on Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:13 pm

Is it not worth remembering that Jagr had a chance to actually do what he said he'd be willing to do and elected instead to chase the big tax-free bucks to Russia?

I mean, I'm assuming that a team that signed Miro Satan would have checked into a Jaromir Jagr beforehand just to see where his head was at, right? Otherwise wouldn't Shero have some explaining to do? Of course, how could the Penguins have known that Jagr would be willing to take league minimum to come back when he's spurning $8 million/year offers from Edmonton?

The bottom line here is that JJ never has had and still doesn't have a filter between the impulse center of his brain and his mouth.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:20 am

I read over the summer in the Trib (Rossi wrote it so it's probably not true) that Shero did contact Jagr's agent, although there weren't any serious talks of any kind, but we all saw how that ended up. The only reason Jagr would want to come back to the NHL at all would be because he's afraid that in two years time Omsk won't have the money to pay him at all. So it's probably still a money issue at the core, although I can't say for sure that he would or wouldn't take league min. Either way, he's getting paid something, which IMO would be the driving force for him to come over here. The other thing to consider is the waiver situation. I don't know if that applies if he's signed in the offseason or not, but as we saw with Dubliewicz there are situations that require him to be put on waivers if he returned from overseas. He would definitely be required to do that during the season, I'm not sure how that works over the summer.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:27 am

Samsdog:

Jeesh. Somehow interpreting Jagrs statement to be about money was the most ridiculous thing I read on the board for some time.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:46 pm

Yeah. Jagr is never about money, and he definitely thinks about EVERYTHING he says before he says it. There's zero chance he just had a verbal bout of diarrhea and only took the 12 million dollar Omsk contract because no team in the league would want him on their team. No way.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Samsdog wrote:Yeah. Jagr is never about money, and he definitely thinks about EVERYTHING he says before he says it. There's zero chance he just had a verbal bout of diarrhea and only took the 12 million dollar Omsk contract because no team in the league would want him on their team. No way.

Oozing with sarcasm! :lol:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lesky on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Samsdog wrote:Yeah. Jagr is never about money, and he definitely thinks about EVERYTHING he says before he says it. There's zero chance he just had a verbal bout of diarrhea and only took the 12 million dollar Omsk contract because no team in the league would want him on their team. No way.

Whats the source on his 12 Million dollar contract? (From what I have heard later its more 12 millions for 2 years)

You really think the guy is so greedy he wants to play for Pens for 500 000 per year because he is afraid the Omsk cant pay him?
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:41 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:Is it not worth remembering that Jagr had a chance to actually do what he said he'd be willing to do and elected instead to chase the big tax-free bucks to Russia?

I mean, I'm assuming that a team that signed Miro Satan would have checked into a Jaromir Jagr beforehand just to see where his head was at, right? Otherwise wouldn't Shero have some explaining to do? Of course, how could the Penguins have known that Jagr would be willing to take league minimum to come back when he's spurning $8 million/year offers from Edmonton?

The bottom line here is that JJ never has had and still doesn't have a filter between the impulse center of his brain and his mouth.

And if Jagr really was so eager and willing to play for Mario and the beloved Pens, why in the wide world of sports didn't he just call Mario and said "Hey I want to sign for the league minimum?"
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:45 pm

No, I think he said that he would play for league minimum because he never thinks about stuff before he says it. See: The dying alive comment. If he did come back to the NHL at any point I think it would be because Omsk couldn't pay him- I don't sincerely believe that he would actually come over here if he was continuing to make the money Omsk is giving him after these two years, whether he says he would or not. Don't forget the interview he gave at the beginning of the season to an Omsk reporter in which he said he had left the NHL forever. I'm not the one to take the word of a guy whose word is so much his bond that he gambles himself into debt that he doesn't have the money to pay and says he would take league minimum to play for a team after he bolted to play for big money in Russia even though there were interested NHL franchises.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:53 pm

Edmonton offered him $8 million/year for 2 years, no? What he's making in Omsk is, I think, worth more since he's not paying taxes on it.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:18 am

Sorry. Sarcasm doesn't transfer well over the internet, that should read as follows: there's zero chance he just had a verbal bout of diarrhea-is it's own statement

and he only took the 12 million dollar Omsk contract because no team in the league would want him on their team is another sarcastic statement that the "there's zero chance" no longer pertains to.

Typos in the quoted statement include the lack of a comma after "and" and a missing "he" before only.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dagny on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:53 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:Is it not worth remembering that Jagr had a chance to actually do what he said he'd be willing to do and elected instead to chase the big tax-free bucks to Russia?

Is it also not worth considering that Jagr's experience since going over to Russia has changed his perspective and priorities?

The disorganization of the KHL, the events he witnessed on the bench of his own teammate dying? At his age we tend to go through some major changes of values.

Perhaps, after seeing what it's like there, he has regained his love for the game. Perhaps it's not about money for him anymore.

Perhaps, these are just some things that should also be considered.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins